Hardest wood on earth

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get what you say about some dry seasoned lighter species burning extra hot but not as long. I've come across wood like that, I like a diverse wood stack some slow burning some fast. Wood often is measured in BTU's as a measure of quality which of coarse it is but there is a little more too it IMO. Some wood releases its energy much faster and hotter than others. Variety is good.
bang on!
The lighter timbers are great for starting the fire of getting it going again in the morning when its just some hot coals.
Trying to do that with big chunks of iron bark is no fun.
I have about 5 different timbers out the back at the moment. I use it as is appropriate
got Iron bark, black butt, scribly, grey gum and some spotty gum.
Just finished burning some really old dry stringy bark that fell over a fence at my parents property. Its a pale yellow timber that some would turn their nose up at but geez it burned good and hot.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often here blokes say 'oh I only burn xyz.. its the best & its the only wood I'll use'. I always nod my head and agree that their choice is great. :facepalm:

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
haha I know mate
I was born with a wooden spoon in my hand and my tongue planted firmly in my cheek :)

I always thought Dolmars were Husqvarna factory seconds that they called a different name so noone would know :jaja-no:

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a serious "off topic" note.
I grew up with Stihls and love them.
I stepped into Husky land to broaden my horizons. I like em, they go great, look good, easy to work on, but of all the saws I have fixed so far, all the stihls were killed from a long life of serious abuse and most of the Huskies died due to screws coming loose. The huskys generally has less use on them and more issues to fix. But when they are going..... damn they are good!
I have never even seen a Dolmar but would love to have a run of one!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, happens all the time even in my small community. People want a certain type of wood to burn, nothing else is good enough.

I work in the Forrest and go through "public firewood area's" and I see so much stupidity and illegal dropping of Forrest canopy and bird habitat tree's is gut wrenching. Yet other types are down, but no one wants to burn this 'inferior" wood.

Australian's don't realize how good we have it. Our society enables us to waste so much...

Excellent spot on the makita (Dolmar), wish I could double like mutley's post.
In my area LEGAL firewood is way to expensive to frown Your face upon free lower quality wood!

I did some orchard bush clearing last year and I took home almost everything, even sticks under 1" - those made good fire starting wood for the stove and fireplace.
It was a mix of some hornbeam, (wild) cherry, acacia, but mostly hazel and willow.
Two loads of sticks, and the resulting firewood pile (a bit more than two loads) - saw is Dolmar PS-6400 & 20" B&C, trailer measures approximately 1mx1mx3m~3 cubic meters volume:
DSC02151.JPG DSC02153.JPG DSC02304.JPG

...I have never even seen a Dolmar but would love to have a run of one!
If You ever get the chance to run one do so. :)

My situation is similar to Yours, I have NEVER ran anything other than Dolmar's! ;)

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my area LEGAL firewood is way to expensive to frown Your face upon free lower quality wood!

I did some orchard bush clearing last year and I took home almost everything, even sticks under 1" - those made good fire starting wood for the stove and fireplace.
It was a mix of some hornbeam, (wild) cherry, acacia, but mostly hazel and willow.
Two loads of sticks, and the resulting firewood pile (a bit more than two loads) - saw is Dolmar PS-6400 & 20" B&C, trailer measures approximately 1mx1mx3m~3 cubic meters volume:
View attachment 29591 View attachment 29592 View attachment 29593

If You ever get the chance to run one do so. :)

My situation is similar to Yours, I have NEVER ran anything other than Dolmar's! ;)

Oh I will!
In Australia we are spoilt for firewood.
Most of the trees that grow are at least twice as hard as oak.
What we call soft wood and some consider as rubbish firewood would be harder than oak

Generally anything under 3" gets stacked as trash for burning off here. Its too much work to collect for what you get when you can fill a trailer with solid hardwood in no time .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm kinda jealous ... o_O

How about I come visit and bring my PS-7900 along? :p

Acacia is the hardest one can purchase legally here, but it is not really sought after because of the thick bark - i like it though, the bark just gets burnt too once it dries out.
Beech is the top selling firewood followed by oak.
I buy oak.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
i think the wood in new zealand is harder lol.

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unbelievable, entire logs dumped?! :eek:

If it weren't for shipping costs I'd take all and any logs and stockpile them on a unprocessed field right next to my house.
I payed for my this years firewood logs two months ago - I am still waiting for them to be delivered! :(

I burn anything and everything that is wood-like, if deemed necessary fast burning stuff gets mixed with slow burning hardwood (usually oak or acacia).

I like Your Makita, very much! :cool:

Yes Wilhelm, its a terrible waste! I've dumped many, many tonnes of wood. It costs me about $50 a trailer load to dump it, so I'd much rather give it away as firewood. The thing is that the weather here is pretty mild, so its hard to get rid of. As others have said, people can get very snobby about firewood here.

Thanks re the 7901! I went to buy a new one on Friday & was told they've just gone up to $1,700AUD - Makita must not like selling chainsaws lol!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Wilhelm, its a terrible waste! I've dumped many, many tonnes of wood. It costs me about $50 a trailer load to dump it, so I'd much rather give it away as firewood. The thing is that the weather here is pretty mild, so its hard to get rid of. As others have said, people can get very snobby about firewood here.

Thanks re the 7901! I went to buy a new one on Friday & was told they've just gone up to $1,700AUD - Makita must not like selling chainsaws lol!
Not having to heat actively for a extended period of time, but being picky about firewood? o_O
I wish there would be a (affordable) way to get unwanted logs from Australia to Croatia, I'd take 'em all!

Had to check, 1700AUD is some 1200Euro, that is indeed a bit steep.
List prices for remaining NOS PS-7900's is about 1000Euro, and the PS-7910 seem to hover at 800-900Euro - that is for my area (Croatia).
Have You tried scouting options to get a saw from outside Australia?
But I guess shipping and taxes would render potential savings non existing.
The prices might be a reflection of other OPE manufacturers prices, which is no excuse to take advantage of it - in the long run Makita will likely loose market shares or at least miss the opportunity to gain some.
I am sorry to hear that OPE is so expensive in Your area! :(

Cheers :beer-toast1: