ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s interesting @RI Chevy the reason I’ve got all these offcuts is because had some new stable fronts done at work and they said horses won’t chew it and it’s got a stupidly long guarantee and all these offcuts where going in the dumpster
And I couldn’t let that happen so stored them away and forgot about them until a few weeks ago when I was looking for a piece of oak for a handle then
Light bulb moment handle for a big ugly axe head
Hopefully the linseed will keep the chemicals locked inside

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. I think it was formaldehyde or an epoxy that was coming from the flooring immediately after being installed that was making people sick. About a year or 2 back.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s interesting @RI Chevy the reason I’ve got all these offcuts is because had some new stable fronts done at work and they said horses won’t chew it and it’s got a stupidly long guarantee and all these offcuts where going in the dumpster
And I couldn’t let that happen so stored them away and forgot about them until a few weeks ago when I was looking for a piece of oak for a handle then
Light bulb moment handle for a big ugly axe head
Hopefully the linseed will keep the chemicals locked inside
Can’t help but think sanding that stuff requires some level of respiratory protection. Be careful bud

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have this nice piece of Red Cedar that I cut 2 years ago. It was a dead stand tree when I cut it. It really looks nice and I am debating on maybe making it into a hammer or hatchet handle. Anyone ever use Red Cedar?
One thing for sure, it will never rot. Lol

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t help but think sanding that stuff requires some level of respiratory protection. Be careful bud
Yup. I think it was formaldehyde or an epoxy that was coming from the flooring immediately after being installed that was making people sick.
Any wood dust can cause respiratory problems. Some more than others, including allergic reactions.

The outgassing of the flooring was contained within sealed / insulated houses. Working on the same wood in a ventilated area, then storing the finished product in a garage, would not yield the same exposure. Wearing a dust mask / respirator when power sanding is always a good idea. Not as big of a deal when using a draw knife or spoke shave.

Philber