drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the worst bevels I've seen are on ms460 stihl branded cylinders.

I just did one that had a honest 1/8" bevel on the uppers and plating everywhere.
Horrible cylinders to port.

I've not ported many am cylinders but the ones I have have been good.
Not like a mahle but good.
Ks can be sloppy also with plating and port shape.

A lot of time a exhaust roof that looks to have a good arch is flat, always trace it on a mandrel or piston.
The last Mahle decomp cylinder I did for a 262 had plating that chipped if you looked at it wrong. Very odd.

I agree J, the OEM factory can be inconsistent as well.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The last Mahle decomp cylinder I did for a 262 had plating that chipped if you looked at it wrong. Very odd.

I agree J, the OEM factory can be inconsistent as well.
Some of the ks 064 cylinders are very hard to port because of chipping.

They make you learn how to grind from the port mouth in so it don't chip.
I'll use diamond or stone on those chipping cylinders out by the plating

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bill,

Thanks for doing the thread.

Is there a piece of plating hanging on that upper transfer floor?

Is the chamber plated or bare?

Looks like they casted the exhaust port shape perfectly, just upside down.

I'd cheat on that ex roof. Just bevel the plating more in the center of the port than the outer. You'll effectively show the rings a rounder roof.

Yup, that's a little chunk of plating, one here, one there. Plated over casting flash where there's no bevel.

Chamber is plated. There's an odd looking dull, dark brownish, maybe 2mm ring at the top of the bore that almost looks like the plating ends but it still feels hard like plating. Might hone it/clean it up just a bit and see what it looks like then.

Really the floor of the exhaust port should have as much radius as is needed on the roof, the rings have to clear both.
Would likely have a nice exhaust note with the roof flat like that but I'd rather not chance it.

Yeah, I'll play around with the beveling on the roof and see what it looks like, the middle is pretty flat but toward the outsides it's well radius'd, I've seen worse on long running saws.

The bottom ring way clears the intake roof At BDC, so shape and beveling will come into play there also.
These two jugs are good there on beveling but again pretty flat.
Bottom of the skirt looks like it goes past the roof by about a mm at TDC. About 1.5mm left on the exhaust side skirt at TDC so some leeway for dropping the jug.
Another .5mm on the (below the pin) piston height wouldn't have been a bad thing...

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a bit of a trick for exhaust port roofs that are too flat (especially if you have to grind a bit on them). You don't want the rings to catch the cylinder lining. So instead you put a bit of 'bevel' on the rings themselves. It doesn't take much, just take the sharp edge off.

If you find a cylinder where the top of the exhaust port has had the lining buffed off of it, then a bit of smoothing of the top edge of the rings can give you a longer life for the cylinder. You just want to prevent the rings from catching the liner.

These come with Caber rings and they are beveled, actually...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After I received the second revision the exhaust port was better. Not as arched as I hoped for, but the height was good, and the bevel was too. I've seen much worse, so I thought it would be better to take this rendition than chance them raising it 5° trying to get a better roof shape.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it's plated to the top, and even out on the squish band. Probably just not honed all the way to the top.
I'm hoping that you're right and that I'm dead wrong, but even inside the port where some plating got too, is shiney, not dull like the top 0.100" of the cylinder.

I'll know as soon as I start playing with it.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think when you check it out more closely you'll find it's plated all the way up. Scrape it with a blade and see if it skids over or digs in...
I just noticed the one of mine with the funky squish band is also undercut at the top of the bore, so definitely won't be raising the band much. :(

Cutforfun

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Exhaust is pretty flat top and bottom, what's the consensus, run it or fix it? I would like to see how it does right out off the box, but I did not read the fine print on the warranty.(is there one?) I would like to have a baseline before I start changing things. I am going to be comparing with a red light top end.
Pics of flat roof
could the brown ring on the top off the cylinder be, from them removing casting slag from the dome?IMG_20161212_204605143.jpg IMG_20161212_204402880.jpg

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Exhaust is pretty flat top and bottom, what's the consensus, run it or fix it? I would like to see how it does right out off the box, but I did not read the fine print on the warranty.(is there one?) I would like to have a baseline before I start changing things. I am going to be comparing with a red light top end.
Pics of flat roof
could the brown ring on the top off the cylinder be, from them removing casting slag from the dome?View attachment 44317 View attachment 44318
That's really flat.

Cutforfun

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have no problem fixing it, my bigger question would be . Is the majority of the people buying this(not on ope) going to look and fix it. Or is hl supply asking for trouble selling these (lots of warranty issues) and it reflect badly on mastermind in the long run.