Hand Making Axe Handles

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if I do another handle, I’m gonna drag out some power tools. I’m not done with this one but a table saw would make life easier. All I used was a mail to split this out and that shave an a hatchet. I’ll get it there. That heavy headed axe splits wood surprisingly well. Had a couple pieces I couldn’t crack with a maul. Just wanted to beat the hell outta something with the axe to see if handle moved.

One hard swing split both pieces. You boys said axes were good splitters. Next time I disagree I’ll try myself first

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 108717

that crack is almost impossible to prevent. Especially when you have a good dry handle. She’s tight boss. I think you done a damn fine job.
If I cut the protruding handle closer to the ax head it wouldn't have cracked. But, yes it is very tight, as evident by there being no cracks in the wedge or anywhere else for that matter. The next one will be better.

Did you try using a block of wood to drive your wedge evenly to prevent the wedge from splitting like that?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I cut the protruding handle closer to the ax head it wouldn't have cracked. But, yes it is very tight, as evident by there being no cracks in the wedge or anywhere else for that matter. The next one will be better.

Did you try using a block of wood to drive your wedge evenly to prevent the wedge from splitting like that?
My wedge was just a piece of crap cherry kindling. Don’t much matter now. E877BE8A-314E-42FA-98E6-0CE2A5825E51.jpegActually not even a mis hit. That wood isn’t strong enough.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Showed the ol man my handle. I got a good giggle. Looks pretty good he said. Cept you oughta used hickory. Lol. That maple is light Not sure how it’ll hold up. It did absorb shock very well though.
Hickory is king for handles no doubt. Doesn't mean nothing else will work good. Ash is supposed to be good but I can tell you, it feels completely different than the hickory I've been working with. I have an old ax that has the grain oriented completely wrong but the handle is still being used. It has had A LOT of over strikes too, the gouge below the ax is close to a 1/2" deep.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not even. Just feel bad. I know the amount of work that goes into handles.
Jeeesh. Your edgy today.
Lighten up.
I’m just wired up bein silly today. I’m not edgy. I’ve had breakfast w the ol man chillin like a villain. I laughed at my own failure splintered like an egg. I like hackin at you as much as possible. So I certainly hope you’d know I appreciate if you pick at me too. G’mornin to ya

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hickory is king for handles no doubt. Doesn't mean nothing else will work good. Ash is supposed to be good but I can tell you, it feels completely different than the hickory I've been working with. I have an old ax that has the grain oriented completely wrong but the handle is still being used. It has had A LOT of over strikes too, the gouge below the ax is close to a 1/2" deep.
Speaking of which.... my mail handle is the same. I’m not a big buck in billy Ray fan boy. He’s on you tube. Anyhooo. He has a video on axes. Kinda wanna buy one from him. He spoke of the splitting like you had on the axe you showed. Also spoke of grain orientation. He liked to see those cracks like you had above. Also had a couple personal handles with wrong grain orientation. Handles have been used an abused. No failures yet.. I think we may over think some of this stuff. Keep at it boss you doin some fine work

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of which.... my mail handle is the same. I’m not a big buck in billy Ray fan boy. He’s on you tube. Anyhooo. He has a video on axes. Kinda wanna buy one from him. He spoke of the splitting like you had on the axe you showed. Also spoke of grain orientation. He liked to see those cracks like you had above. Also had a couple personal handles with wrong grain orientation. Handles have been used an abused. No failures yet.. I think we may over think some of this stuff. Keep at it boss you doin some fine work
Overthinking is a guarantee with all the info on the web these days. Theories become laws of physics over night and are beyond refute it seems. Best thing we can do is go through the process and learn on our own the way we usually do.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You couldn’t catch a clam to throw. An I’d pull the plug out yer boat and then do other stuff. Wouldn’t even tow you in if you broke down with thunderstorms comin an *s-word. Cause yer mean to me. Team husky an stuff.
Lol. I'd catch a great white and throw him in your boat. Lol
And throw quahogs at you. [emoji23]

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Overthinking is a guarantee with all the info on the web these days. Theories become laws of physics over night and are beyond refute it seems. Best thing we can do is go through the process and learn on our own the way we usually do.
Well agreed. From personal experience maple makes a poor choice for five pound axes. Maybe good for a hatchet Absorbs shock hella good