Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a few things off the list today
Fuel lines done.
Built a bracket for the throttle cable
Was thinking the shifter was going to be an issue but it fit like it was made to be. The 5 speed shifter came through the old TCase shifter hole, the shifter boot even fits.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 5

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bubba's 85 Squarebody.

Turns left just fine. Refuses to turn back to the right. We tried a different power steering pump. No change. Unhooked the stabilizers that he installed.....no change. Was working fine till yesterday afternoon. We're thinking the steering gear is fubared. Thoughts?

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bubba's 85 Squarebody.

Turns left just fine. Refuses to turn back to the right. We tried a different power steering pump. No change. Unhooked the stabilizers that he installed.....no change. Was working fine till yesterday afternoon. We're thinking the steering gear is fubared. Thoughts?

I know we talked brakes on it..
Hydroboost or vacuum?
He lifted it. Make sure linkage isn't binding or over centering.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know we talked brakes on it..
Hydroboost or vacuum?
He lifted it. Make sure linkage isn't binding or over centering.
Vacuum brakes.

He used a kit with a arm for the steering knuckle to correct the drag link angle.

It's raining again.....and we are working on saws. As soon as we can we're gonna jack the wheels up and look everything over.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If we jack the front wheels off the ground, it steers back and forth fine. If we jack just the driver's side up....steers great. Jack just the passenger side up, won't turn to the left for chit. Looking it over real well.....looks like the upper ball joint on the driver's side is locking up. More stuff to fix !!!!!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ball joints will do that. Lucky it didn't happen on the road. It gets exciting when the steering doesn't center itself, when you don't expect it.
I would change all 4 as they have a tendency to tighten up.
All 4 on the way.....and a ball joint press. We're gonna have a million bucks in this truck. LOL

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All 4 on the way.....and a ball joint press. We're gonna have a million bucks in this truck. LOL
Yea maybe the first one is expensive to get going properly, after that with having all them fancy tools you'll be doing it in your snoozing/ sleeps. You know repetition makes it easy, JUST LIKE chainsaws.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea maybe the first one is expensive to get going properly, after that with having all them fancy tools you'll be doing it in your snoozing/ sleeps. You know repetition makes it easy, JUST LIKE chainsaws.
True story. I never mind buying tools though.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It gets interesting dragging one through the mud (used a 540 JD skidder from the neighbors) after the lower ball joint separates in a rough plowed field, then a few inches of rain that night.
Farmer plowed the field and basically painted/plowed his pickup into the corner. Almost made it catty-wampus across the 80 ... Needed some exhaust help too. Minimum till would have been a blessing back then.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Been there done that a few to many times to count. Some of those infrequently used tool (sets) take up a fair amount of room, leaving one corner of the garage a bit "cluttered" some weeks.

I regularly use the excuse that by buying a tool(s) for a certain job that I'll save a whole bunch of cashola. So far the misses hasn't squawked to loudly, as long as I get to the task at hand soon after those tools arrive.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least 10 years ago, my dad was quoted 1200.00 to have ball joints replaced on his '96. 100.00 for the press and a set of Moog joints and we were golden. Using it for u-joints works better than anything else I got too.
I can see it being great for u-joints !!!

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
3:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For sure. If you've never used those before, I've found that putting the ball joint under compression with the tool and tapping the control arm helps them come out easier than full on forcing them out with the press.

I didn't do the compression first, then tap the control arm once, but got lucky and avoided harm. Great learning experience, but a little too close for comfort.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For sure. If you've never used those before, I've found that putting the ball joint under compression with the tool and tapping the control arm helps them come out easier than full on forcing them out with the press.

I didn't do the compression first, then tap the control arm once, but got lucky and avoided harm. Great learning experience, but a little too close for comfort.
Good info. Thank you.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag