Grease Monkey Garage

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think rotating assembly and distributor gears wouldn’t switch over if I remember right. But the blocks can be bored to a 428. This all came from a conversation with the very knowledgeable Don Palmer. Any errors will be on my part, he is a ford big block guru

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got this repair order yesterday.
View attachment 390612

Then there's thus.
View attachment 390613

Estimate came in at $17,000.
I know a guy who did that but realized his error mid-way through filling the tank, he dropped and flushed the tank with dawn and a steam cleaner and the truck's still happy as a clam. 'Course, he was kinda lucky the def barrel/pump was in the middle of his shop.
We have 2 FE 360s. One is an industrial version with a 5 speed with granny gear, and the other is the engine in Bubba's 74. Does anyone know what the difference (if anything) is between the two? We are looking for a 390 for the rotating assembly and the 4 barrel intake also.
Industrial may be FT like Hoser said, I know of a guy who may be getting rid of a stock '74 FE 4 barrel manifold, shipping would be killer but if you want I can see if he'd donate it to another highboy guy.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know a guy who did that but realized his error mid-way through filling the tank, he dropped and flushed the tank with dawn and a steam cleaner and the truck's still happy as a clam. 'Course, he was kinda lucky the def barrel/pump was in the middle of his shop.

Industrial may be FT like Hoser said, I know of a guy who may be getting rid of a stock '74 FE 4 barrel manifold, shipping would be killer but if you want I can see if he'd donate it to another highboy guy.
We can figure out a way to get it here if he is willing. Thank you.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember from a book, decades ago, the 352 based FE/FT block had 18 variations. From industrial applications to factory race engines to all out street fun. Stuff one in a '68 Mustang GT though, it took the whole afternoon to change the plugs

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the plan for the 5.3? Just a refresh or are you gonna have some fun with it?

Refresh and cam for sure.
99% chance I'm going with the Holley Terminator ecm and harness. It's pricy,but, you plug in your engine and trans specs and it self learns. I've talked to some who have it and they say it's above and beyond having it tuned by someone.

I might go with a stock bore stroker kit too. Not sure, need to see what the funds situation is like.
I'm hoping the oil pan I already have will fit in the car. Need engine mounts yet.
I'm now sitting on an LS3 intake, fuel rail and exhaust manifolds that won't work on the cathedral port engine I have..

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Refresh and cam for sure.
99% chance I'm going with the Holley Terminator ecm and harness. It's pricy,but, you plug in your engine and trans specs and it self learns. I've talked to some who have it and they say it's above and beyond having it tuned by someone.

I might go with a stock bore stroker kit too. Not sure, need to see what the funds situation is like.
I'm hoping the oil pan I already have will fit in the car. Need engine mounts yet.
I'm now sitting on an LS3 intake, fuel rail and exhaust manifolds that won't work on the cathedral port engine
What heads are on it currently? 706 or 799?

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What heads are on it currently? 706 or 799?

All I can tell you right now, Mike, is that they are aluminum...lol
Haven't gotten any further into it.
I brought everything but the engine home from work and I'm currently trying to tame the disaster that is my shop and find room for this stuff.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have that, it's a 75 F150 with 390, C6, 3.00 rear, original 4BBL manifold and heads sitting is in the garage, truck is sitting in the driveway. Hasn't been ran in 24 years, ran good when parked. Not driveable in current condition. And there is a near new tailgate in the garage to go with it.

View attachment 390621
The white on the hood is some rust dissolver I tried. Works fairly well. If some water was splashed on it and a light brushing, it cleans up nice. Of course IMO.