Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Folks.

No real point to this thread, just a good yarn...... we Aussies are good for that!

I found an add on the local online classifieds yesterday advertising a HUGE fallen Ironbark, free firewood, bring your chainsaw and take what you want.

I rocked up about lunch time and there ware already 3 trucks backed up with people filling trailers.

My brother came to help me, and we drove around the other side of the tree, which has a trunk diameter of about 3 to 4 feet.

Everyone was into the smaller easy branches, and I asked if anyone had the gear to take care of the trunk. One bloke said....... YES, I DO!

using the 066 and 372, I cut and filled my trailer in an hour with 12 to 20" rounds. of nasty hard heavy ironbark.

The guys on the other side had cleared all the small stuff and were looking at the big trunk.
I walked over and asked what they had to take care of it.

They pointed to the husky 570 with a 24" bar and blunt chain that was smoking as it wore through the smaller branches and I had a giggle.

I offered to help break up the main trunk that split into a couple 2 to 3 foot thick lines.

I walked over with my 066 and the 42" bar fitted and they all turned off their $100 Chinese saws and came to watch. I dont think they actually believed I could cut through it thinking back.

42" full comp 3/8 stihl semi chisel just above the initial fork section that was about 50" wide, I ran it over the top with the saw at chest height , doged it into the top and gave it the beans!

My brother told me afterward that the other blokes were standing 12 to 15 feet back and had to pick up their saws and move as they were all being showered with red woodchips.

The bloke who owned the place said he looked down from his house and saw a big red sawdust roostertail as I jammed the 42" bar into the log. When I got through the log, after a bit of wedge hammering action, they were all standing there with phones taking pictures and videoing.

The land owner said "Geez mate, you brought the V8 model didn't you"

All the other guys that were there cutting that were considering attacking the big wood with little blunt saws picked up and walked down th the smaller stuff and kept struggling with that.

I stood with the land owner for a while talking and said I would ring him Monday to see if the big trunk was still there. If it was I would come cut it up.

We both looked down at the others struggling to cut 10" rounds and he said...... It will be here mate, see you then!

People just seem to think little saws will do anything.
The best saw they had between them was the Husky 570 and it was running like sheet, and old mate could not sharpen a chain and had it smoking in the cut trying to make it wear through the wood.
The others has those chinese copy saws.

After I showed off with the 066, my brother said he saw the other blokes struggling with their saws, and they kept looking over at my saw sitting on the ground.

And who wouldnt, its a beast with the 42" bar fitted.
Here it is with the 372 fitted with a 22" bar hiding behind the 42" bar

WP_20160611_20_25_13_Pro.jpg

Fun

Who else has been in this situation, with other woodcutters at the woodpile shining jealous eyes on your good saws that actually cut?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When you get use to a big saw you will only use a big saw,a 70cc saw will run a 24" but not like a 90cc saw will.

I here about people running 36" bars on 70cc saws and even if there satisfied how it runs it they feel awful with a long bar on them,I don't like a nose heavy saw.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the 66 pulls shorter bars under 30" with authority
Sure worked better than the 50-60cc Chinese specials the other guys had running.

I have it running an MS600 P&C that measured 95/121/82

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
the 66 pulls shorter bars under 30" with authority
Sure worked better than the 50-60cc Chinese specials the other guys had running.

I have it running an MS600 P&C that measured 95/121/82
Should run good with those numbers.
High exhaust likes more intake

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice story.....I've seen my fair share of guys using far to wimpy saw to tackle to hard/dry wood. Its funny watching the persistant one with a completely dull chain not give up. I often run a 20".404 b/c on my ported 660.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice story.....I've seen my fair share of guys using far to wimpy saw to tackle to hard/dry wood. Its funny watching the persistant one with a completely dull chain not give up. I often run a 20".404 b/c on my ported 660.

I have a nice little GB 20" bar that I have considered swapping the tip to 404 on.