High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Foley Chain Grinder

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's where I get my wheels. I'm just using the bonded resin wheels, though.
I'm not up to speed on the difference between the resin, CBN and diamond. The resin is cheapest but CBN is the same price as Diamond... I might give them a call and ask. The diamond might be good for my lifetime.
Are you grinding rakers too?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not up to speed on the difference between the resin, CBN and diamond. The resin is cheapest but CBN is the same price as Diamond... I might give them a call and ask. The diamond might be good for my lifetime.
Are you grinding rakers too?
No, I just use mine to true up rocked chains or poorly hand filed chains. I'm still not the master of my 308, and get better results finishing with a quick swipe of a hand file.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, I called sharpening supplies and taught me some things. First, diamond wheels are only for sharpening carbide tooth. My wheel is CBN and it's a synthetic nitride bonded to an aluminum wheel. The CBN wheels can sharpen 10 times the chains a resin (standard) wheel can. The CBN cannot be shaped and hold their original radius.

The guy is very knowledgeable and said you can do square ground chain but you have to use a resin wheel and dress it to shape it.

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The angle/hook on the chain in your pictures will have to be a little less aggressive or the rakers will need to be higher than normal. That chain will still dull quite quickly even with the rakers higher.
The 1/8 wheel can be used on 3/8 chain just fine, but it will be more difficult to sharpen chains with a standard file. The "hook" will also be straight rather than curved as when sharpening with the proper size wheel or a standard round file.
There is an oval file that will work for that application, but I'm not sure what they are called, @Philbert would know.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's a good angle for the head tilt, 20 or 30* from vertical?
I use 35° from vertical. And try not to go so deep. You can run the chain through the grinder a couple more times and remove the material from the gullet, or you can do it with a file. I use a 5/32 file for gullet so I can stay further away from the cutter point

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and ordered a 3/16" CBN wheel, a 60 grit 3/16" resin wheel and a dressing block. I'm going to attempt a square grind with resin wheel.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't see any way the 308 can do true square grind (with a bevel in the corner) without significant modification.
If it could, then any 511 style grinder could also.

Basically what differentiates sq grinders from round is the ability of the sq machine to move the chain/cutter sideways into and back away from the wheel (or vice versa).

So either the base holding the chain vise has to be able to move side to side (similar to a USG conversion) or the wheel carriage assembly needs a lateral axis of travel in addition to the up/down.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it does!
That's great!
I'd like to convert my super jolly to a pedal operated clamp. Although it could be done I'm thinking it would take many yes to benefit anything if you took into account the time it would take to set it up that way lol.
Your fortunate.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's great!
I'd like to convert my super jolly to a pedal operated clamp. Although it could be done I'm thinking it would take many yes to benefit anything if you took into account the time it would take to set it up that way lol.
Your fortunate.
I'll post more pics later to show you.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll post more pics later to show you.
Cool.
The super jolly is hydraulic so it would mean seeing up a pedal that was mechanical to the master that is now on the head, or using a master at the pedal with a line to the slave cylinder at the clamp. Either could be done on it, but without a real fab shop here at the house neither seems worth it.
When I seen the pictures you posted of your grinder in another thread I was a bit envious :oops:. I looked for one with a foot pedal for a long time, then the supper jolly came up and it's worked well so I haven't continued the search.
Looking forward to more pictures.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got my new CBN 3/16" wheel. Very nice, good quality from what I can tell. Much heavier than I expected. Makes me think it's a steel disk that's impregnated then chromed. Idk but it's too heavy to be aluminum.
I'll install it saturday night and try it out.
20190322_171320.jpg