High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood saw

the BMOC

Power Of Wisdom
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My 066 has done 99% of my firewood cutting this year. I pulled out smaller saws for a couple tanks but that was too slow for the logs my tree guy has been dropping off.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I put a 20" total light (tsumara) on my 360 from Nate @fordf150 he has good prices.
The 360 is balanced with a reg 18" but balanced perfect with 20" light. Fwiw
View attachment 29656
I need a 20" bar like that for my 562 and 24-28" bar like that for my 372. I understand why people might prefer a triple nickel or a 560 to the 562, simply because of the smaller bar mount. I like it because of the larger mount as my 372xp and 9010 have the same mount, along with the 7910 (if/when I get one). Since all my 50cc + saws are running .050-3/8" having interchangeable bars/powerheads makes life easy when all you have to do is find the loop that's long enough, put it on and go.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as firewood saws, everything in my sig line is used for firewood duty, though given the trees I routinely take, the 261 and the 562 have been the go-tos. The 262 is a wicked, pissed off little bastard, the 550 is new to me and I've only used it once, so though I like it a lot, I have little experience with it. The 346 is also nasty but I need to tweak it a bit. The 201 gets used a lot for odds and ends and dismantling the upper canopies. The 372 and 9010 come out when there's large crap to be tackled. I usually have an idea where and what I'll be cutting before I go, so I grab 2-4 that will be the most useful and run whatever feels right at the time.

If it was only one, It would either be the be the 562 or 262 and I'd lean towards the latter as it's a bit lighter and quicker handling while still having enough power to get a lot done. The 562 has a bit more torque though and is decidedly smoother. Otherwise I'd say a ported 036/034, ported 6100, ported Efco CS62 or ported 357xp and it might be my absolute favorite, as I love the character, feel and handling, being an oversized 346.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unlike some I do not list an inventory of my saws or other equipment but I assure it's vast .As such with that many it varies what I use . It could be an 084 or a 10-10 McCulloch .It might a gear drive or a modified fast running more modern saw .The bottom line being they all cut wood .

However it would be an exercise in futility to attack a 40" oak with a Stihl 200T or likewise slice and dice a 12" ash with an 084 with a 42" bar.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last time I went out...last week, I brought a 395xp..just to give it a try, a jmssaws ported 066, 262xp, and a little ms170 that I got on a trade deal and wanted to try it out. The 262 got the most use, with two tanks ran through it. A very fun and nimble saw to run!! The 395 got used for about a tank and half...this was a great, fast saw to run with a 36" bar!! Used it mainly for the stump ends. Had about a 34" alder, and a 30+" maple to play with. Then I got the chain in the dirt :/. That's when I pulled the 066 out to play. Went through almost 2 tanks...drank them up pretty quickly..lol. That saw is a runner!! Lots of fun. Property owners son in law wanted to give it a shot...put a big smile on his face!! The little 170 was used for branches and cleanup.

Whitespider

Lost in the 50s
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ummmm... I need to come clean here.
I no longer do it all with just one saw. Last year I bought a cheap pole saw for trimming up the trees in the yard and such. But I quickly learned taking the center section out of the pole made it damn handy to limb and de-brush after the tree is on the ground. No bending over, no reaching, no getting slapped in the face with branches... I can whittle the tree down to the trunk and major limbs relatively quick, hardly breaking sweat. I even find myself cutting more of the smaller stuff to firebox length (because I can do it right on the tree without bending or reaching). For no more than it cost, awesomely handy... we'll just haf'ta see how long it lasts.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think everyone knows my thoughts lol but I will share again anyways. I am a firm believer in a 2 saw plan. Or 3 or what ever makes the job easier and more fun.
The Dolmar 6100 is as perfect of firewood saw that anyone could buy. Matched with a 421 you are under a $1,000 and have saws that should last you many years and handle anything a firewood guy would ever want to split and move.

odin

100% noodle arms
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think everyone knows my thoughts lol but I will share again anyways. I am a firm believer in a 2 saw plan. Or 3 or what ever makes the job easier and more fun.
The Dolmar 6100 is as perfect of firewood saw that anyone could buy. Matched with a 421 you are under a $1,000 and have saws that should last you many years and handle anything a firewood guy would ever want to split and move.

There are many ways to skin this cat (the two-saw plan). While I'd love to own a brand spankin' new saw, I also wanted to learn more about two-stroke engines. I bought a used Stihl MS440 and am in the midst of a rebuild on an 024s. The 440 was supposed to be a non-runner and it runs fantastically and the 024s was a vacation souvenir. Figure I'll have just a tad under $500 in them by the time I'm done and we're pretty much matched, capability-wise.

Not bad for a bit of firewood and a little education.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may have line on a minty 024 from a family member. W/a muffler mod and tune + a 14" bar running 3/8"LP chain, it ought to be a neat little saw.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

One saw plan.

Lol
Almost looks like a Piltz special, though it seemed to do very well considering. I'd be curious how well it was actually oiling the chain, which I assume was a full skip. What pitch/gauge was the chain?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost looks like a Piltz special, though it seemed to do very well considering. I'd be curious how well it was actually oiling the chain, which I assume was a full skip. What pitch/gauge was the chain?

Lol.

That video was shot as a joke. But surprised myself along with a lot of others.

To answer your questions, the saw oiled the 32 very well, slinging strings off the tip. Probably better than the 371xp I had.

The chain is 3/8.050 stihl full chisel full skip. But I did swap to a stihl rs full comp and cut about 3 seconds faster.

With full comp, it was within 8 seconds of a fresh stock 288xp in the same log with the same chain.

Here is the other video I shot. With the same 32, but with 3/8.050 rs full comp. In a hard maple crotch.

Obviously 32 is a bit much for 50cc, but nice to know it is an option if absolutely necessary.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I absolutely agree! I never would have figured that a ported 50cc saw would really pull a 32" chain in a log, much less do it that well, while actually oiling the chain, even a ported one. I wouldn't want to make a practice of it, like you stated, but knowing you could, if needed, could be a feather in your cap! Wow!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best firewood saw as well as felling/logging saw I have is a beat up old 372xp with a 52mm BB no base gasket, jungle muffler. 20" bar and agressive chain. Unbelievably strong. Those 372's and 365's hold there own with a 20" bar.

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've cut a lot of firewood with a Stihl 026. I then added an 039 as my "big saw" and then an 018. That's actually a pretty good three saw plan for firewood.
I cut up a lot of oaks and I use a large enough saw to fell it with. I then set to work on the tops with the 018 cutting up small stuff as long as I can get a straight piece 16" long. (sometimes down to an inch or so). When I get to wood about 6" or more I go to the 026 until I get to about 10 or 12" wood. I then go to an 039 or 044 to buck up the bulk of the rest of the tree. I end up finishing the stem with whatever saw I felled it with.
While the 039/MS390 is not the best performing saw in my fleet, I use those a lot because I rebuild a lot of them and always have some that need to be tested. I don't send them out the door until I've run a couple tanks through them.
I don't believe in a one saw plan (I like my 10 saw plan) but if I could only have one chainsaw and needed firewood to heat my house, it would be an 026.