jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the lower rod bearing is bigger on the 660's then the 066's.
the rod has gotten hot and has lost is temper, will likely fail sooner then later

Jason's claim to me was the 660 has a larger flywheel side bearing than the 066- I tried to explain that they were the same.

Yes, the poly flywheel crank has a larger rod bearing than the early 066 but shortly before the change over- Stihl released an "improved" metal flywheel crank and according to them, the rod bearings are the same size.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
INTEGRITY

It's what you do when noone's looking.

Cause some day they may.

And as Jim Croce so elegantly stated:

"I got a name. And I carry it with me like my daddy did"

And J ruined his and his progeny.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
that's friggin ugly.. so he stole a good red light case??? wonder who he sold it to now... the piston wash pattern on piston and on chamber, what does that tell you about how he done the uppers? are they really uneven from one side to other side? or does something else cause that? couldn't he just have used a 046/460 poly flywheel and kept the red light case? all serious questions:)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sad thing is that we're going to be dealing with the fallout for some time.

I thought that I was sick with Ryan's saw........ but lately I've grown numb from what I've seen with my own 2 eyes

No use getting angry that people are still sending their saws to him........... right ?

Ryan has his saw now, it runs great. I'm sure it probably isn't as fast as Jason's finished product, but I'm willing to bet that it has more grunt and will last much longer.

People have to weigh their options carefully when it comes to porting their saws ....... buyer beware is painfully evident here, falling for bearing bs and losing a prized and sought after set of cases is truely a shame. I'm not sure if it will ever end ........ you tube video only shows a cut or two, yet hooks fish like magic

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So much for his impeccable port work!!!

I hope if anyone does a search on Jason, it leads them to the threads on this site.

I'm starting to think his problem is different from what we have been speculating, I'm starting to think this is all intentional and he gets some twisted pleasure in deceiving/screwing everyone.

It is like after I was the victim of arson (luckily I had not moved into the house yet, there had been several recent house fires in the area), and the detective explained to me that the guy is getting sexual pleasure from watching houses burn, and that is why he will not stop. I gotta tell ya, I really had trouble grasping that!

My point is, there are some really sadistically sick people out there, and I'm starting to think it is not a drug problem, he is just a sick puppy. That is why the con keeps going for so long, and there is no crash & burn.

That is why he makes up elaborate stories to deceive people, he is trying to establish he is smarter than you, and then EVERY SAW IS BOOBY TRAPPED, from metal filings that seem to be intentionally included, etc, etc.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
upload_2017-8-3_0-3-20-jpeg.81327

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the lower rod bearing is bigger on the 660's then the 066's.
the rod has gotten hot and has lost is temper, will likely fail sooner then later
I pulled a brand new 660 short block down that had blue ends on the rod. Never been run besides the factory. Looked similar. If the bearing cage has wear between the rollers then I'd chunk it.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've also seen bluing on rod ends that didn't seem to have any cause or effect. Might be like the bluing on Stihl bar rails that people get concerned about.

Last edited:

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pulled a brand new 660 short block down that had blue ends on the rod. Never been run besides the factory. Looked similar. If the bearing cage has wear between the rollers then I'd chunk it.

I've seen many connecting rods with blued ends. Used to think it was from
over heating the bearing but after seeing a few times I came to realize it is
probably in the manufacturing process to harden the rod.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
according to stihl themselves, there should never be any discoloration of the rod. using this crank is not just a risk of it failing, a bad rod bearing usually takes the top end out as well. that's a risk that's not going on my dime.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's just from the Stihl ultra...

"Snicker...."

Seriously though, I've used some, I guess in some eyes, questionable parts on my own saws. If I sell them, it's with full disclosure. A guoge in a jug here and there is one thing, but I just can't get over how many questionable parts are packed into every saw.