2013 MS660 flywheel issues.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After checking with this site’s information and a friend of mine that does small engine repairs, this 660 does actually use a poly flywheel.

My buddy pulled out a brand spanking new 660 saw that he’s been using as a parts saw for when parts are needed quickly.

It was missing a flywheel too as it wasn’t replaced yet.

He pulled out a new flywheel from his stock and put it on. It moved a little bit like the taper doesn’t line up until he bumped it a bit onto the crank.

Then I started realizing that I wasn’t getting my 660’s flywheel tight enough as I was attempting to do it by hand and with a ratchet.

My shop battery impact tools were at work so I had nothing to use to tighten the flywheel nut.

I brought the small impact home that does around 35-40 ft/lbs. close enough.

After getting the flywheel tightened, I tried it on the dyno, it works. Did 2 long pulls, half a tank of gas with no issues.

So I think I’ve got it figured out.

I thought I was able to do 30 ft/lbs with just a ratchet and holding the wheel with my other hand as I did not want to use a screw driver to stop it from moving.

Sauen

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After checking with this site’s information and a friend of mine that does small engine repairs, this 660 does actually use a poly flywheel.

My buddy pulled out a brand spanking new 660 saw that he’s been using as a parts saw for when parts are needed quickly.

It was missing a flywheel too as it wasn’t replaced yet.

He pulled out a new flywheel from his stock and put it on. It moved a little bit like the taper doesn’t line up until he bumped it a bit onto the crank.

Then I started realizing that I wasn’t getting my 660’s flywheel tight enough as I was attempting to do it by hand and with a ratchet.

My shop battery impact tools were at work so I had nothing to use to tighten the flywheel nut.

I brought the small impact home that does around 35-40 ft/lbs. close enough.

After getting the flywheel tightened, I tried it on the dyno, it works. Did 2 long pulls, half a tank of gas with no issues.

So I think I’ve got it figured out.

I thought I was able to do 30 ft/lbs with just a ratchet and holding the wheel with my other hand as I did not want to use a screw driver to stop it from moving.
Feeding a piece of rope about a foot into the cylinder through the sparkplug is a good way to stop the piston allowing you to torque the flywheel nut of clutch. Just be sure to raise the piston so the exhaust port is covered prior to feeding the rope in.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Feeding a piece of rope about a foot into the cylinder through the sparkplug is a good way to stop the piston allowing you to torque the flywheel nut of clutch. Just be sure to raise the piston so the exhaust port is covered prior to feeding the rope in.
Listen to this man here. I use an impact to snug the wheel on, especially when rotating counter clockwise to confirm timing advance against the key. Then I rotate it the other way and use a torque wrench at 27 ft/lbs. I use rope in the chamber as a stop ALWAYS. Safest.

You can’t just use impact and be safe. Good way to have a loose flywheel or snap a crank snout.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll get some rope. I don’t have any.

Thank you guys.

I’m glad the saw runs again. I was going the wrong way with thinking there was another flywheel because I assumed a taper fit means there is no movement when test applied to the crank before the nut was installed.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also use a 14" pipe extension with the socket wrench to add sufficient tightening torque. The key does nothing but serve as a guide to flywheel placement. It's the tightening torque that holds the wheel firm to the tapered shaft.

Last edited:

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s been several years since I worked on some of the saws and I’ve only worked on a few. I spent more time with saws on the dyno recently than taking any apart.

I’ve actually forgotten some of the things I thought I knew from years ago.

I’ve forgotten about the rope down the spark plug hole, got confused over some post stating there were two flywheels for a 660.

I’ve only done the rope in the spark plug hole once and that was around maybe 2013 while I was an AS member working on my ms260.

I’m a rookie all over again.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll get some rope. I don’t have any.

Thank you guys.

I’m glad the saw runs again. I was going the wrong way with thinking there was another flywheel because I assumed a taper fit means there is no movement when test applied to the crank before the nut was installed.

Thats what a taper fit means, should be no movement. It doesnt sound like they fit and not very reassuring.
I think the germans should be able to make two tapers mate.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what I thought. Like a snowmobile clutch. Just pop on, it fits.

When the clutch feels loose or weird on the snowmobile crank, I take the clutch to a dealer to have it reamed. Then it fits perfect.