tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just where the hell does one start.

Little more history or what I was told. Is/was a original redlight saw. He changed cases on it so he could run the bigger bearings/poly flywheel. Other then Supposed having new oem piston and rings when I got it he never told me anything else about it.
DSC00945.JPG

DSC00946.JPG

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00951.JPG

so now it's a ms660 with a red light tank. red light no longer works.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DSC00943.JPG

bar plate junk, missing dog screw

DSC00944.JPG

why drill the cover when using the old style studs? and not drilled deep enough for the new style studs.

DSC00949.JPG

no need to remove those

DSC00952.JPG

missing handle screw

DSC00955.JPG

surprise surprise

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Little more history or what I was told. Is/was a original redlight saw. He changed cases on it so he could run the bigger bearings/poly flywheel. Other then Supposed having new oem piston and rings when I got it he never told me anything else about it.

Jason's made that claim in the past, but the bearings between all 066/MS-650/MS-660 saws are the same dimensions. The part numbers have changed only because Stihl has changed suppliers several times and they've changed the configuration of the bearings, but not the sizes. Of course the flywheel side seal changed dimensions because the poly flywheel crank has a larger stub shaft on the flywheel side.

There were a handful of the earliest 064 saws that used a 6202 size bearing on the flywheel side but according to the NW Stihl technical rep, those saws were only sold in Europe.

Just curious- is the big end rod bearing shot or would the crank need replaced due to discoloration on the rod?

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason's made that claim in the past, but the bearings between all 066/MS-650/MS-660 saws are the same dimensions. The part numbers have changed only because Stihl has changed suppliers several times and they've changed the configuration of the bearings, but not the sizes. Of course the flywheel side seal changed dimensions because the poly flywheel crank has a larger stub shaft on the flywheel side.

There were a handful of the earliest 064 saws that used a 6202 size bearing on the flywheel side but according to the NW Stihl technical rep, those saws were only sold in Europe.

Just curious- is the big end rod bearing shot or would the crank need replaced due to discoloration on the rod?

the lower rod bearing is bigger on the 660's then the 066's.
the rod has gotten hot and has lost is temper, will likely fail sooner then later