High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

ECHO Echo, Echo, Echo

Woodbutcher56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well , I'm reasonably sure the 501 can't compete with the 5105!! I don't expect it to ,as long as it does as well as the 421 , which are pretty big shoes to fill , I'll be satisfied. I haven't had the opportunity to handle a 501 yet no one has one in stock. I don't really know why. The local John Deer dealer also sells Echo and said he would order one in so I could check it out . Not sure that would be the best place to buy , if I ever need service. I'll check further into that if I handle the saw and like it.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well , I'm reasonably sure the 501 can't compete with the 5105!! I don't expect it to ,as long as it does as well as the 421 , which are pretty big shoes to fill , I'll be satisfied. I haven't had the opportunity to handle a 501 yet no one has one in stock. I don't really know why. The local John Deer dealer also sells Echo and said he would order one in so I could check it out . Not sure that would be the best place to buy , if I ever need service. I'll check further into that if I handle the saw and like it.

That’s surprising that you can’t find one locally. I just happened to walk into my ace hardware the other day that just recently switched to echo from husqvarna and they had one sitting in there. I can get some pictures compared to bigger echos if that helps but that’s all they carry so I wouldn’t be able to compare to anything else unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woodbutcher56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The only Echo dealer in the local town is John Deer , there's a dealer about 20 mi. away but he's going out of business due to health issues. There's one 20mi. the other way but not a very good place to do business.Most woodcutters around here are Stihl or Husky guys.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow, according to their respective websites the 501P actually weighs a bit less than the EA4300. The 5105 weighs around 1.3 pounds more so if the 501P even comes close to the performance of the 5105 then it will be a winner. I love my 5105, it really acts more like a 60cc saw to me.
the 490/500p/501p are all the same chassis and weight about the same as a 4300 but the 4300 feels stronger than the 490/500P. Not sure about the 501 as i havent ordered one because the 490/500 were terrible sellers so didnt see the point in stocking yet another variant of it that is just updated with a little more power and back up to the old $450 price tag vs the 490 at $350. everything i have heard says the 501 still isnt close to a 5105 but @Miller Mod Saws would know more than me. he has had both stock and ported both. BTW @Woodbutcher56 check with Carl on a 501....he has a ported one that only has a few tanks thru it for a really good deal last i saw.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't had the opportunity to handle a 501 yet no one has one in stock. I don't really know why.

Its simple....they dont sell. I tried stocking the 500P and it sat on the shelf for years...as soon as people saw the price tag they walked away. 490 is a little better seller(I've sold 3-4 since they were released 3 yrs ago) but that had more to do with the $350 price tag than performance.

Woodbutcher56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I saw the ported 501 for sale. I just think that once ported the service life is shortened. Bearings become the weak link in the chain at that point. I'm sure performance is enhanced but at what cost???

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
5:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw the ported 501 for sale. I just think that once ported the service life is shortened. Bearings become the weak link in the chain at that point. I'm sure performance is enhanced but at what cost???
This is a good question to post in open forum. I can tell you my loggers will argue with you one service life. Most of them know what the average face cord or whatever measurement they use a saw will cut before it needs attention.

Woodbutcher56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's good to know. You would know better than I for sure. What is your take on a comparison between stock 5105 and the 501p? Which is better ported?
What would you consider a reasonable service life for either saw ,well maintained,used for firewood 6-10 cord a year? I know that's a tough question with lots of variables just a ballpark figure.

Woodbutcher56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its simple....they dont sell. I tried stocking the 500P and it sat on the shelf for years...as soon as people saw the price tag they walked away. 490 is a little better seller(I've sold 3-4 since they were released 3 yrs ago) but that had more to do with the $350 price tag than performance.
I can understand that in your case because you also sell Dolmar more bang for the buck, but you would think the dealers that only sell echo would stock the 501. The guy I talked to at the JD dealer said he owns a 450 and after talking for a bit he said he might be selling the 450 to buy the 501. He didn't seem to know much about it when we first started talking. I guess I peaked his interest with my inquiry.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl and Husky have such a stranglehold on the 50cc pro saw market that anybody else is going to have to really do something different to get a piece of it. The 5105 is, by most accounts, stronger in stock form than the big two and just as good quality. Around here, the 5105 sells for a little less also. And yet it remains an also-ran to most folks. The 490 was a smart thing for Echo to do, as was the 590. Provide a near-proline saw at a price that is way less than a "real" pro saw would cost and market it to farmers, wood burners, and other folks who need a quality saw but don't use it to make a living. Around here at least, the 590 has seriously eaten into the Husky Rancher/Stihl Farm Boss market and I see no reason why the 490 wouldn't do the same in the 50cc category.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can understand that in your case because you also sell Dolmar more bang for the buck, but you would think the dealers that only sell echo would stock the 501. The guy I talked to at the JD dealer said he owns a 450 and after talking for a bit he said he might be selling the 450 to buy the 501. He didn't seem to know much about it when we first started talking. I guess I peaked his interest with my inquiry.

I had a 450 for awhile. Very nice saw and in my opinion pro quality construction. I ended up selling it because there just wasn't that much difference in performance between the 450 and my CS-400 other than the 450 seemed to have more torque. Oh, and we just had a baby and needed the cash.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's good to know. You would know better than I for sure. What is your take on a comparison between stock 5105 and the 501p? Which is better ported?
What would you consider a reasonable service life for either saw ,well maintained,used for firewood 6-10 cord a year? I know that's a tough question with lots of variables just a ballpark figure.
There 2 saws of total different nature. The 501P is like a new school 026. Light little nimble and simple. Much better power than the 490/500 saws. But the the 5105 weights in at another 1lb or so I can remember. But it's much stronger stock and much smoother to run. AV is all around better and the easy start is nice although it makes the saw look blocky. Ported well the strongest I build is the 5105. Not saying the 501P can't get there but I havnt got it there yet. IMO. Ported the 501p is a strong 18" bar saw where the 5105 is a strong 20" bar saw that will embarrass stock 60cc saws. 6-10 cords isn't a lot. Either saw should last a very long time.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You da man, Miller! Question: do you think the cat muffler on the 5105 should be gutted or removed in the interest of engine longevity? I'm happy with how my 5105 runs, bone stock except for adding an adjustable carb. My concern is all that heat right next to the cylinder. Seems to me like that would increase the likelihood of seizure.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You da man, Miller! Question: do you think the cat muffler on the 5105 should be gutted or removed in the interest of engine longevity? I'm happy with how my 5105 runs, bone stock except for adding an adjustable carb. My concern is all that heat right next to the cylinder. Seems to me like that would increase the likelihood of seizure.
Yes sir get it out of there. Lol.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir get it out of there. Lol.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I have a 5100 muffler for it, do you think the carb will need adjustment after installing it?

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got to tinker on my little 305 today. wish all mufflers were that easy to get into. Pulled the baffle out and retuned and it’s running great! Piston and cylinder look perfect. Unfortunately whoever had it before had cross threaded the spark plug hole but it’s holding with a new plug for now so I’ll cross that when I need to. How do helicoils hold right there or would I need a new cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm hearing thats there going to be a new 70cc Echo does anyone know anything? Getting tired of all this flapping coming from the Stihl and husky fans boys.