High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Drill press for lathe

Thug 108

Active OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone ever use a drill press to deck a cylinder, I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on a lathe. I'm thinking I can mount a set of jaws where the Jacobs chuck goes.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think a drill press is made to take the "side to side" pressure that you would create. It might work for a while, but I think that your drill press would not last and turn sloppy quickly.

I'm no machinist though.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think a drill press is made to take the "side to side" pressure that you would create. It might work for a while, but I think that your drill press would not last and turn sloppy quickly.

I'm no machinist though.
You are correct , drill presses are made to handle pressure up and down, not side to side. I bought a sliding mill vice and did some milling with a drill press once, that was the end of that.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Now if you could find a way to mount the jug and push down to cut that might work.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd try it I see it could work but only on jugs without cylinder extensions. Control of speed may be too slow for some of it and the table would be difficult to keep true. Not impossible but a challenge for sure. Keep the spindle/quill short and use your head with taking very small amounts of material and sneak up on the target number. You must pay close attention to detail when messing with inappropriate machines doing what they are not ment to do cool work around idea

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are correct , drill presses are made to handle pressure up and down, not side to side. I bought a sliding mill vice and did some milling with a drill press once, that was the end of that.

Yeah, I tried that too......not with nice results.

We do machine work for you guys that wanna do your own porting........

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever use a drill press to deck a cylinder, I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on a lathe. I'm thinking I can mount a set of jaws where the Jacobs chuck goes.
What diameter bore cylinder are you thinking of trying to shave down ?image.jpegimage.jpeg

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind what it cost to turn base and chamber these days. I almost always cringe when I hit the feed.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What diameter bore cylinder are you thinking of trying to shave down ?View attachment 11594View attachment 11595

Nice!
why ya staying so far away from the chuck?

Someone did a 346 cylinder on a drill press and rotating vise. This was back in the old race saws days

I could be done, easiest way would be to make a plug that fits the bore with a center hole. Using a fly cutter in the drill spindle. Jug stays stationary, cutter goes roundy roundy and does its thing.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be done, easiest way would be to make a plug that fits the bore with a center hole. Using a fly cutter in the drill spindle. Jug stays stationary, cutter goes roundy roundy and does its thing.

Wouldn't you need a lathe to make the plug accurate enough?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about a router bit with a roller bearing to keep it from cutting the cylinder extensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used the live center
I might not be able to get a picture soon, I have a slug for a 56mm mandrel in the lathe that I am turning.
i would love to see a picture. No need to stress with it.
It's just so I can see the whole principe on how your guys do this

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would love to see a picture. No need to stress with it.
It's just so I can see the whole principe on how your guys do this

372 jug. The mandrel "white plastic" was just cut to size on the lathe. So it runs true 0 in this pic. The live center at the top of the jug is just pressing the jug to the chamber, and keeping the mandrel true. Since it is a live center it spins with the jug, just leaving a small dimple. If that is of concern you can just put a small piece of stock between the point and jug.

Similar angel to Moparmyway's pic. This late is a lil overkill for saw jugs