Cylinder swap on a 440

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To the mods: I posted this in the Stihl section without reading the "Read this first" part, and I tried to delete it but couldn't figure out how to do it. Please forgive me, I won't do that again.

Howdy folks. Living it up here in Virginia. Starting to climb trees again.
I am looking at swapping in a slant fin cylinder on my MS440. I've been looking at both the Mahle and the Kolbenschmidt (KS), and the KS ones look like they will move a lot more mixture through the ports than the Mahle ones. Has anyone compared the Mahle slant fins with the later decomp cylinders? This is a late 440 with not much use. It is a nice strong saw, and I'm thinking of spending a bit for a 10 mm Mahle cylinder to make it more so. Has anyone looked at the insides of the two side by side, or better yet, taken pictures of them? If it's not much change, I probably won't bother. I found an early KS jug for my late 064, which might make it rival a 500i.... and I could be happy with that instead.

Last edited:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
KS cylinders usually run a bit better, higher compression and larger ports like you said. I have a KS on my 064 and it runs very well. I ran it for a while with a sub .020 squish and it was noticeably stronger but extremely hard to start.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To the mods: I posted this in the Stihl section without reading the "Read this first" part, and I tried to delete it but couldn't figure out how to do it. Please forgive me, I won't do that again.

Howdy folks. Living it up here in Virginia. Starting to climb trees again.
I am looking at swapping in a slant fin cylinder on my MS440. I've been looking at both the Mahle and the Kolbenschmidt (KS), and the KS ones look like they will move a lot more mixture through the ports than the Mahle ones. Has anyone compared the Mahle slant fins with the later decomp cylinders? This is a late 440 with not much use. It is a nice strong saw, and I'm thinking of spending a bit for a 10 mm Mahle cylinder to make it more so. Has anyone looked at the insides of the two side by side, or better yet, taken pictures of them? If it's not much change, I probably won't bother. I found an early KS jug for my late 064, which might make it rival a 500i.... and I could be happy with that instead.
Moved it to the general chainsaw page for you. Should see more traffic there.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For what you would have in a nice slant fin p&c, be halfway towards a port job. Spend the extra money and have it ported, I’d have the crank seals replaced while it was there also.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For what you would have in a nice slant fin p&c, be halfway towards a port job. Spend the extra money and have it ported, I’d have the crank seals replaced while it was there also.
That's a good point. About how much would a work saw porting job cost? Just ballpark. I'm not trying to be chintzy, I really have no idea. It's a late 440 with about two or three tanks through it.

Shoot. I'll ask Randy myself.

Last edited:

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$300-$400, Randy would be a good one. Several others here I’d trust also.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The NOS Mahle slant fin cylinder is listed for that price. I thought porting would be more than that. Thanks.