mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it is a L type scratcher chain right?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It appears to be. Maybe someone with more Disston knowledge can confirm.

Philbert

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok now that we think we know what it is anyone with a repair kit?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People come and go on the internet .There once was a guy,from Ohio who went by "Stihl Boy " Fred Shotenstein or something like that .He was active on a forum I won't even mention the name of but the initials are A S . He had a couple of loops of that big giant rusty chain at one time he landed from an old dealer as well as a lot of stuff that almost nobody would be interested in .If somebody could track him down he might still have it .
Fred showed up at Bill Poors GTG once with a truck load of stuff and had the bones of an 042 Stihl .From those bones I finally found a working brake for mine after searching probably 6-8 years to find them .It's 100 percent complete now .So don't give up the ship because often this rare stuff shows up when you least expect it to .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other than Fred the only other I can think of might be Larry Steiner .He has a huge and I mean huge collection of saws .Near Mentor Ohio .I have no doubt he might have a repair link but if he would part with I have no idea .I'm not certain if he has a site but if so it would be under "House of saws ".On occasion he shows up on the forums ,could be on this one for all I know . BTW Larry has the very last 090 Stihl ever sold in Canada which has never even had fuel in it .Bought it through believe it or not John Lambert AKA "Gypo Logger ".

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I check the internet all the time

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rambling on ,in a worse case scenario a link could be made .About any skilled machinest could do it as well as a couple of rivets .It's not like even if it is to used it would not be used often .

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes sir I have thought about that.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the saw almost all back together.. I am working on cleaning the bar. I am using a wire wheel on it. I really wanted to do the washing soda and battery charger trick but can't come up with something to hold the bar.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the saw almost all back together.. I am working on cleaning the bar. I am using a wire wheel on it. I really wanted to do the washing soda and battery charger trick but can't come up with something to hold the bar.
I did that to an old crusty bench vise. You don't have to hold the bar, just stick it in the water/washing soda concoction. You need a piece of sacraficial steel and a battery charger. It's super easy.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW cleaners containing citrus oil will often dissolve rust .On a forum I was on once concerning antique Caterpillars a guy in Australia got spoiled fruits from the market for free and pickled the entire track of an old D4 in a bath tub for a couple off weeks .Got rid of most of the frozen up track rust .Freed up the frozen pins and bushings .How he every got an entire track into a tub I have no idea . "Naval jelly " does a fairly good job as well .

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really wanted to do the washing soda and battery charger trick but can't come up with something to hold the bar.
Sounds like you are looking for a plastic or glass container big enough to hold the bar in the electrolysis solution? Not sure how big your bar is, but some large containers could include: plastic gutter or drain sections from a home store; large Rubbermaid style totes; clear plastic boxes sold at craft stores for storing rolls of gift wrap; a fiberglass bath tub; kiddie pool; a plastic kayak; etc. Or, you could build a shallow frame with 2X4s and line it with several layers of heavy plastic.

Phibert

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran this bar through my electrolytic bath.
0f07744c8c8eacea69aa5813bb61d5f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk