Defeating ms261 limiters

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
4:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive done a few of these and I dont believe we have have a thread about this type of limiter here yet so this is how Ive done them.

Some use a 2mm allen and torque the adjustment needles to "jump" the splines of the plastic retainer that holds the cap in place on the needle.

Others just drill out the retaining pin that is pressed into the carb body that limits the movement of the cap. Im sure these both work. Heres how I have done it.

I use a course thread machine screw threaded into the cap and pull it out.IMG_2179.JPG

Once out you can clearly see how the pressed pin limits the adjustment.

Here is the plastic retainer with the splines that you can torque and change the adjustment.IMG_2180.JPG

I grind off the pin and reinsert the cap on the needle. I prefer this method as it gives full range of adjustment.IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2182.JPG

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They make a tool for bypassing the limiter?

Actually...if you buy the tool that fits that screw...yes.

A few hard turns to the left and a few clickity clicks to richen it and you dont have to pull anything.

How do you feel now ?

20170414_084935.jpg

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Actually...if you buy the tool that fits that screw...yes.

A few hard turns to the left and a few clickity clicks to richen it and you dont have to pull anything.

How do you feel now ?

View attachment 65643

part number please ?
Maybe a vid for the donkeys who just rip the chit out with a hammer and carry a 2mm allen in the tool box.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done a few now, just with a drill.

(No pics, but if anyone is interested, I have another carby to mod, and I can do it tonight)

- Place the carb in a vice (with padding)
- Use a small drill bit to drill out the limiter 'tab' that is in the body of the carb (I start with a very small bit, drill through, then step up 1 size for a bit that fits the limiter tab, which usually pops it right out cleanly)
- Adjust to your heart's content

It took me 10 minutes the first time, to 'figure it out', and since then, I can do it in 2 minutes, and that includes the time I spend scratching my head and looking for a drill battery...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just jam the 2mm Allen key in there and twist it so you have the desired range. People have done some highly complicated ways of defeating ms261 limiters, but with the allen key its easier than cleaning an air filter.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just jam the 2mm Allen key in there and twist it so you have the desired range. People have done some highly complicated ways of defeating ms261 limiters, but with the allen key its easier than cleaning an air filter.

I've jammed and screwed my 2mm in a few times but never got a "happy ending"