mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everybody.

I want to replace the spur sprocket with a rim sprocket on my Husqvarna 61, grey top, production year 1988.
My intention was to use the Oregon Powermate sprocket, but the problems is that there are two versions. 102469 for the models with serial number before 0510572 and 26831 for the models after that serial. Since my saw was made in Yugoslavia and its serial number is 289625, I cannot select it based on the serial number.

Looking the picture of both Oregon sprockets the only visible difference is the 102469 (older) version has the needle cage bearing with a metal cage pressed fit in the sprocket and the 26831 (new) version has a loose needle cage bearing without the metal cage.

My chainsaw crankshaft has a fine thread and the spur sprocket has a the needle cage bearing with the metal cage pressed in it. Based on this, the logical assumption would be the right sprocket is the 102469 version, but I'm not sure. Searching on the web I have not found any decisive information that would help me decide which one to choose, the only thing that I discovered and might be decisive is that the older 61 had the coarse thread crankshafts and the newer the fine thread.

Does anybody have any clue which one would be the right one.

Attachments

• Oregon 102469_3.jpg
    Oregon 102469_3.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Oregon 26831_2.jpg
    Oregon 26831_2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230827_180924.jpg
    IMG_20230827_180924.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230827_180913.jpg
    IMG_20230827_180913.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231225_143240.jpg
    IMG_20231225_143240.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everybody.

I want to replace the spur sprocket with a rim sprocket on my Husqvarna 61, grey top, production year 1988.
My intention was to use the Oregon Powermate sprocket, but the problems is that there are two versions. 102469 for the models with serial number before 0510572 and 68210 for the models after that serial. Since my saw was made in Yugoslavia and its serial number is 289625, I cannot select it based on the serial number.

Looking the picture of both Oregon sprockets the only visible difference is the 102469 (older) version has the needle cage bearing with a metal cage pressed fit in the sprocket and the 68210 (new) version has a loose needle cage bearing without the metal cage.

My chainsaw crankshaft has a fine thread and the spur sprocket has a the needle cage bearing with the metal cage pressed in it. Based on this, the logical assumption would be the right sprocket is the 102469 version, but I'm not sure. Searching on the web I have not found any decisive information that would help me decide which one to choose, the only thing that I discovered and might be decisive is that the older 61 had the coarse thread crankshafts and the newer the fine thread.

Does anybody have any clue which one would be the right one.
I think there both the same diameter bearings , just one is retained in drum and the other is not possibly 🤔

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think there both the same diameter bearings , just one is retained in drum and the other is not possibly 🤔
I cannot confirm it or deny it. If I could get the Oregon sprocket in any local shop I would try it, but I can only get it online.

Maybe knowing what changed on the 61's after the serial number 0510572, could give the right answer.

Last edited:

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to replace the spur sprocket with a rim sprocket on my Husqvarna 61... but the problems is that there are two versions.
I ran into a similar issue, worked on a buddies 61 and replaced his AV mounts because they fell apart. Ordered a new package of AV mounts with coarse threads and all was good. Went to work on my 272, it needed new AV mounts, everything showed that it took the same mounts, ordered another package. Went to install it and found that the mounts on my 272 were fine threads and they are more expensive! Either way, the mounts work the same, just a difference if it has the course threads or fine threads as to which one you need to get.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Coarse or fine thread on the clutch, I'm pretty sure that's the difference.
Many mention this as turning point, but funny if I had to choose the rim sprocket based on my actual spur sprocket, I would pick the older version 102469 rim sprocket. Maybe a technical bulletin would help, if anybody have it.

I ran into a similar issue, worked on a buddies 61 and replaced his AV mounts because they fell apart. Ordered a new package of AV mounts with coarse threads and all was good. Went to work on my 272, it needed new AV mounts, everything showed that it took the same mounts, ordered another package. Went to install it and found that the mounts on my 272 were fine threads and they are more expensive! Either way, the mounts work the same, just a difference if it has the course threads or fine threads as to which one you need to get.
I don't know why are you mentioning AV mounts, but it is easy to know what you need.
If you have metal fuel tank you need fine thread AV, on other hand for plastic fuel tank you need coarse thread AV.

For example I have metal tank, which was used on older models, but I have a fine thread crankshaft, which was used on newer saws, now tell me which is the right rim sprocket. 🤔

Last edited:

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know why are you mentioning AV mounts, but it is easy to know what you need.
If you have metal fuel tank you need fine thread AV, on other hand for plastic fuel tank you need coarse thread AV.
Well, that is something I didn't know (realize) until now. Makes total sense, I appreciate your knowledge and pointing that out!

This might not help much, but the threads on my 272 crankshaft look to be fine threads...
IMG_20240117_092222.jpg

And I bought this Haishine kit off of Amazon which fits on these threads, this comes with a loose needle bearing (not pressed in). The kit states it works on the 61, 66, 266, 268 and 272. Not sure how comparable it is to the Oregon one.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This might not help much, but the threads on my 272 crankshaft look to be fine threads...
Yes, it is fine thread. Can you measure the two dimensions with a caliper in millimeters if possible.
IMG_20240117_092222.jpg

And I bought this Haishine kit off of Amazon which fits on these threads, this comes with a loose needle bearing (not pressed in). The kit states it works on the 61, 66, 266, 268 and 272. Not sure how comparable it is to the Oregon one.
If the fit of the needle bearing on the crankshaft is tight, can you measure the inside diameter of the sprocket drum hole for the crankshaft?
I have read the reviews for the Haishine kit and some people had problems with a lot of play. Maybe the key is the diameter of the crankshaft and ID of the needle bearing.

You can also tell by looking at the clutch.
Fine thread is open, coarse thread is closed
Thank you for the input, maybe I'm mistaken, but I think the clutch itself has no role in sprocket selection, since both Oregon 102469 version and 26831 version sprocket drum have the same inside diameter of 78,5 mm. The crankshaft thread was mentioned because maybe it was the turning point where they changed the sprocket type.

I don't know what aftermarket rim sprockets are used nowadays on this old huskies, but I think Oregon is the best of all.
It would be very helpful if anybody have any of the two Oregon Powermate rim sprocket drums (102469 or 26831)?
Also the model version is printed on them so is easy to identify them.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you measure the two dimensions with a caliper in millimeters if possible.
Absolutely! Measurement A = 12.77mm (hard to measure and hold camera at same time).
IMG_20240118_090016.jpg

Measurement B = 25 mm
IMG_20240118_085811.jpg

If the fit of the needle bearing on the crankshaft is tight, can you measure the inside diameter of the sprocket drum hole for the crankshaft?
I have read the reviews for the Haishine kit and some people had problems with a lot of play.
Funny thing, I pulled out the old srocket drum to compare it and the old one (EM original 5018316-01) has the pressed in needle bearing. Quick fit of the Haishine does have a slight bit more play than the original, but not sure if that will change when everything is put together. Here are the measurements of the sprocket drum and needle bearings:

Old sprocket drum ID: 17.2mm
Old Needle Bearing ID: 13.0mm
Old Needle Bearing Width: 2mm

Haishine sprocket drum ID: 15.9mm
Haishine Needle Bearing ID: 13.1mm
Haishine Needle Bearing Width: 1.34mm

Unfortunately the calipers I have are cheapies off of Amazon, so not sure how close/off they are in their fine measurements.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks man. The measurements on my cranckshaft are the same.
You have said your crankshaft is from a 272. If it was originaly mounted in it, can you tell me what is the serial number of the chainsaw?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have said your crankshaft is from a 272. If it was originaly mounted in it, can you tell me what is the serial number of the chainsaw?
I am assuming it is original, I found the saw at the dump, so not 100% sure. The serial number on my saw is 3340111.

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am assuming it is original, I found the saw at the dump, so not 100% sure. The serial number on my saw is 3340111.
At the dump....😳 Unbelievable what are people throwing away. Luckily you have found it.

Based on the serial number of your saw (after S/N 0510000), the right Oregon Powermate rim sprocket for your saw would be the 26831 version with a loose needle ring, which should be right also for mine. But in meantime a have find an Oregon cross reference table where your old rim sprocket 5018316-01 and mine spur sprocket 5015140-01 (part number found in the IPL for my saw) replacement rim sprocket should be the 102469.

Funny thing, I pulled out the old srocket drum to compare it and the old one (EM original 5018316-01) has the pressed in needle bearing. Quick fit of the Haishine does have a slight bit more play than the original, but not sure if that will change when everything is put together.
I don't thing any play is good. My spur sprocket has no play even if it is old.
Where have you found the part number of your old sprocket?