High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Control valve repair, brother took apart, is this complicated?

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
J7avCFw.jpg
How complicated is this control valve on a log splitter to re-assemble? My brother took it apart, the spring broke, the manufacturer sent a replacement spring and ball bearings. Thanks for thoughts on this.

Attachments

• control valve.pdf
    170 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just changed one of that exact style .Surplus Center must have bought a box car load of them because they are inexpensive .If I'm not mistaken I think they are "Dirty hand " brand (China ) .This one also had a coil broken on the spring .Speaking for myself I don't like this style of hydraulic system where only the detent is in the valve and the pump itself has the pressure settings . It took me a while to figure out how that system worked .
When doing the repair I could not find any place that listed parts for this style of valve so it was more simple to just replace it .From what I could figure out these things were used on brands mostly made in China .

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People are in a big hurry to replace the whole unit when it may well be possible to fix. Not surprised my brother messed it up and let the shop try to address the splitter with parts in a bag what mechanic wants to fix something like that?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I noticed in surfing the internet about these valves is nobody I could find had rebuild kits for them .Valves such as Prince they do offer most of the needed parts to repair them .That said I kept the old valve and chances are with just one coil broken it might be able to work with adjustment .However it wasn't my splitter and I kind of figured 50 bucks to fix a $1700 machine was a bargain .Fact since I was on a roll I got another one going for him with a carb change and that one also I replaced rather than fart around for ever with a funky carb .For 16 bucks after market it's not worth my time making love to the damned things .

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apparently the bag of parts has been lost by the shop; brother swears he gave it to them and they can't find it. But they were able to fix the cylinder, a nylon nut came off just le champion said was possible. Champion does have some extra parts for the control valve and cylinder. But I ordered a spare control valve a couple weeks ago still not shipped, will call them again tomorrow. Shop said that the Oregon splitters from Lowes they are getting are very similar to the Champions, slightly different design.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember the name of that splitter I made reference to but I think it was sold by Home Depot. For all I know they might be like inexpensive lawn mowers . Come in every color of the rainbow and named differently but all just about the same . The one I worked on was a 5" cylinder ,17.5 gallon per minute pump with a 10 HP Briggs recoil start engine . With a 5" it should be able to split anything you put in it I would think .

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like the one I bought two years ago for $1600 delivered, going by the specs:

https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/...on-horizontal-vertical-log-splitter-ytl016483

Performance Built 37 Ton Horizontal Vertical Log Splitter (YTL016483)

Detailed Specifications
Engine: Briggs & Stratton OHV 1450 series 10HP
Splitting Wedge: 8" Sharpenable hardened steel
Operating Position: Horizontal / Vertical
Force / Tonnage: 37 Ton
Cycle Time: 14 Seconds (Approx)
Log Max Length: 26 Inches - 5 x 24 cylinder
Pump: 17 GPM - Two stage
Road Towable: Yes - Safety chains included
Hydraulic Capacity: 8.8 Gallons w micron spin on filter
Operating Size: L90.5 x W32.3 x H41.73 Inches
Fuel tank size: .8 Gallon
Electric Start: No - Recoil start
Wheel Size: 16" DOT approved Tires
Operation Weight: 567lb
Auto Return: Yes
Shipping Weight: 645lb
Consumer Warranty:
2 - year limited

log splitter - picture..png

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it seems that is the design many use .The only difference is the paint color .

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the main reason I bought it, it looked the same with the basic same specs as offered in the box stores, except $600+ cheaper. Different decals and colors and that is about it. Same with the "Champion" style log splitters. I have noticed everyone is now copying the Ryobi electric log splitter, which was a superior design, but, they cheap it out like Dirty Hands. Though the current reviews on HD seem to indicate it might now be the same as Dirty Hands and just painted a different color because the approval ratings and stars ahve gone way down the last two years.

Sort of like buying a battery, when you get down to it, only six (or so) battery companies in America.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would not be surprised if those splitter designs could have been made in the same Chinese manufacturing plants .Sort of like riding lawn mowers or clothes driers .
Some makes might have options like the shelves to hold the splits or different return brackets or for that matter tonnage ratings but all in all there is very little difference in them .

Attachments

• DSCN1226[1].JPG
    DSCN1226[1].JPG
    343 KB · Views: 7

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I do not like is with the control valve on one side of cylinder you can only safely run it from that side .Where as if on top of the cylinder both sides are accessible .

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of people like the Champi0n 27 ton and 35 ton units, and they are good about backing them up, have sent me a bunch of parts for free. Probably split 250 cords or so between customers and for own firewood.

It sure beats the excessively heavy units some rental places have, very hard to move those around on properties. Home Depot at their rental departments have a $5000 or so unit, Barreto. Sure I'd like a Timberwolf, but I don't make enough/split enough to justify it. I've had a Supersplit flywheel unit which are good on small wood but you have to split heavy wood on those by hand before processing as they don't go vertical. So all in all happy with the Champion even with the recent problems, control valve spring broke and the nylon nut came off in the cylinder.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What you might not like too is "solid I beam" many times = welded plates into an I beam shape.

https://ruggedmade.com/37-ton-horizontal-vertical-gas-log-splitter-301cc-electric-start.html

The metric flat face O ring seal connectors is kind of a hassle to find if you want to add an adapter for a pressure gauge. I ordered mine from newline in Canada and after paying $25 or so in S&H, I found out the fittings marked #12 were in fact #10 thread and all I can guess is that the #12 refers to the wrench or something. Still, I think it was a great buy since I already split probably 12+- cords with it in two years.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the beam is strong enough although the Chinese obviously don't weld real good .Fact the fabricated wedge looked like it is welded 3/16" plate that had a couple of failing welds which I repaired .
Another thing is the hydraulic pump that for some reason doesn't fully bypass when the cylinder hits the end of the travel .With a Prince valve it does vent off but with whatever pump they use it bogs the engine . I haven't as yet completely figured that out .That said it ran good and split good .