Clone 660 vs ash tree

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20180407_112105.jpg 20180407_095419.jpg was about 30" at the base. Took 5 tanks of gas. All the fresh cut in the stack was today's ash tree. The saw ran good using Red Armor at 40:1 instead of Stihl full synth at 40:1. Didn't see much difference.

stihlonlybutilikeclones

New OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
GREAT to see this.im thinking of buying a huztl ms660 clone kit. seems like a lot of mixed emotions about clones. personally I think its how their built and vac and pressure tested that counts. WOW yours is doing great..good luck with it...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO, the kit works great as long as you do the following:

- Install the Cross/MMWS P+C, gives you a caber ring set and much better performance.
- Use OEM piston pin bearing and piston pin clips. The bearings are only about $10 from a dealer.
- The Chain adjusters are a PITA. Even if you go OEM, often addl work is needed. I often get the Huztl parts to work, but the HL Supply adjusters seem to be better quality and very reasonably priced. You still often have to shim the shaft of the small gear, and re drill the hole in the metal cover larger (it does not fit over the adjuster gear. I cut a thin strip from the foil that comes on my bar oil container to use as a shim, seems to be working well so far.
- If installing w/o base gasket (recommended), grind Cross Name off cylinder to clear flywheel, and enlarge lower part of hole in plastic for spark plug.
- Control levers are often "iffy". Make sure you lube them well, and work them in a little.

Other than that, I've been real please with how they perform for cutting + milling.

bottlefed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Never cut an ash before....beautiful wood....gotta be a satisfying tree to cut.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some of the most common uses for Ash are Baseball Bats and Shovel Handles. There are stronger woods, but when it comes down to strength/vs weight, Ash is very tough to beat. When dead + dry, it is about twice as hard as Black Cherry, and there is nothing wrong with Black Cherry.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are so many dead ash trees here you can't give them away. Guys who used to sell firewood are out of business. I have lots of people who want me to drop, buck and remove trees for free. LOL. I'll drop them just for fun. The rest is their problem. At a good friends house we dropped and bucked about a dozen trees one day and the next day we spent the day with my 11hp chipper chipping tops. We made a pile of chips bigger than a VW bug. My hands were sore for 2 days from feeding the chipper.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mill some of that Ash and store it, you will be rewarded, it is great wood and will be sought after when it is no longer available. Just like Chestnut!