3-series huskies

Armedandhammered

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been an occasional user of a 460 rancher to the tune of 4-5 tanks a year for 10 years, and I’m ready to upgrade as I get more time at home and have acquired a property with ample opportunity for tree work. I have at least a dozen 30”+ red and white oak that have succumbed to oak wilt and it’s plain I need a more serious saw to make better use of my limited time. I’ve become keenly aware of the limitations of the rancher, and think a 372OE tended to by a quality porter would be my dream saw. Is there an appreciable difference between an OE and x-torq if it’s going to be ported? Bonus question, where could a guy find a NOS or similar 346 for lighter duty tasks?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
1:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been an occasional user of a 460 rancher to the tune of 4-5 tanks a year for 10 years, and I’m ready to upgrade as I get more time at home and have acquired a property with ample opportunity for tree work. I have at least a dozen 30”+ red and white oak that have succumbed to oak wilt and it’s plain I need a more serious saw to make better use of my limited time. I’ve become keenly aware of the limitations of the rancher, and think a 372OE tended to by a quality porter would be my dream saw. Is there an appreciable difference between an OE and x-torq if it’s going to be ported? Bonus question, where could a guy find a NOS or similar 346 for lighter duty tasks?
In the long run, the (much) heavier x-torq piston wears out the bottom end more quickly. That would be the thing to consider for me. If I wanted a new 346, I'd hit @NightRogue up about a new 353 and get a 346 top end for it. He could also get you a new OE 372 if that's what you decide. Or, just press the easy button and PM @huskihl about making it all happen. Good luck. You wouldn't know what to do with yourself if you went from a rancher to a ported 346/372 combo.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the long run, the (much) heavier x-torq piston wears out the bottom end more quickly. That would be the thing to consider for me. If I wanted a new 346, I'd hit @NightRogue up about a new 353 and get a 346 top end for it. He could also get you a new OE 372 if that's what you decide. Or, just press the easy button and PM @huskihl about making it all happen. Good luck. You wouldn't know what to do with yourself if you went from a rancher to a ported 346/372 combo.
What he said!👆

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
does a 346xp outperform a 550xp?
captured bar nuts and flop top caps are a nice feature of the 5 series saws

quattro.pilot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get the X-torque, it's a fantastic variant and it's a little more fuel-efficient than the OG. It's a turn-key solution, ready right out of the "box"... no messing around with machinist or porting and wait-times and chasing people and R&R'ing parts and of course the extra expenses incurred. Use 40:1 and I'm sure the crank bearings will last incredibly long.

X-torque is spec'd a little heavier which for me is about the most pertinent argument against it. who cares...

There's always plenty available for sale. OG's are not as readily common

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an XT that @huskihl ported for me. It's my light felling saw. Good grunt. Since the heavy piston is hard on the bottom end, I don't wring it out bucking a lot.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an XT that @huskihl ported for me. It's my light felling saw. Good grunt. Since the heavy piston is hard on the bottom end, I don't wring it out bucking a lot.
So far the added oil I have been suggesting has possibly prevented any from coming back. Run it

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NightRogue sale thread
The X-Torque when ported can hang pretty close to the OE. NightRogue can now also get you a new 272xp if you want to go even more old school cool. As mentioned, a new 353 can be had from him as well, either convert to 346xp or port as is both run well.
Just did an OE 372xp not too long ago and it comes as a low top, with jungle type muffler, HD12 carburetor has no limiters on it and the P&C is a Kolben Schmit. The tag on the saw said made in Sweden.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We beat our 372xt’s like redheaded step children. 8 years, 3 saws, 1 bad coil. All three still going strong on 50:1 red armor. I don’t have much bad to say about them. Kinda heavy I guess.

However, 372OE will be better ported.
Ported 346NE is the best 50cc on earth.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We beat our 372xt’s like redheaded step children. 8 years, 3 saws, 1 bad coil. All three still going strong on 50:1 red armor. I don’t have much bad to say about them. Kinda heavy I guess.

However, 372OE will be better ported.
Ported 346NE is the best 50cc on earth.

The naphtha (or whatever is used to dilute the thinner oils) evaporates just like the fuel and leaves less behind. Red armor, 800, H1r are higher viscosity oils. At 50:1 there’s a lot more oil deposited into the case than what thinner oils leave behind.