trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
trooney, no worries, I just saw the mention of 394's.
Believe me, I feel weight nowadays at 1 month shy of 60. I really like it on the occasions when my low back and legs give me 1% enough relief to work like I know I can. There is no greater feeling for me than to not feel the pain I normally live with 99% time. On the miracle days when God let's me work hard with freedom of motion, the bigger saws, full wheelbarrows, 36 foot extension ladders, and 10 foot aluminum brakes that I throw around, bring me back the my 24-30 year old days when the low back pain was more manageable. In those times, I say, " MAN , think about all I could be getting done if I didn't hurt for more good days like this one."
I hear ya. I've been in the physical world most of my life, frim delivering beer to quarry work shivelling stone down 6" holes. My back is not what it used to be. Neither can I pull over my ported 661 without the decomp anymore. I now work in MRI and used to work at Shock Trauma where I saw alot of spines worse than mine. So I'm grateful for what I got. Can't cut a whole day without my back getting tight. But I pick up the saw that I think will get the work done the quickest. 1/2 a pound might make a difference with all day cutting, but very few people that I know do that. Sorry for the thread derail...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup I know.

BUT in my case, I was thinking about a good tool for those who may service and set up numerous front adjust saws every day every week etc,
I have a cool design idea or 2 for a tool that may be quite a handy addition to one's arsenal.
I really don’t see it as an issue for someone who sets up multiples per day. It’s just a fact of life

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
trooney, I just realized when you said SHOCK TRAUMA. Then I looked at your "LOCATION" and only someone like me knows that expression.

We are in many respects likely neighbors.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
trooney, no worries, I just saw the mention of 394's.
Believe me, I feel weight nowadays at 1 month shy of 60. I really like it on the occasions when my low back and legs give me 1% enough relief to work like I know I can. There is no greater feeling for me than to not feel the pain I normally live with 99% time. On the miracle days when God let's me work hard with freedom of motion, the bigger saws, full wheelbarrows, 36 foot extension ladders, and 10 foot aluminum brakes that I throw around, bring me back the my 24-30 year old days when the low back pain was more manageable. In those times, I say, " MAN , think about all I could be getting done if I didn't hurt for more good days like this one."

I'm with you brother. I'm in the same boat. Be 61 next March. Constant pain every day of my life.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup I know.

BUT in my case, I was thinking about a good tool for those who may service and set up numerous front adjust saws every day every week etc,
I have a cool design idea or 2 for a tool that may be quite a handy addition to one's arsenal.

I just use a 6" screwdriver on mine.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, you husky 346 fan boys 😆.
One day you'll get over them and run a late model 550 :aaaaa:.

Love it, leaves more for the guys who like them :).
Say what you will about 346 fan boys, my XS 353/346xp pulls a 24” (full skip, hungry) with authority. Stock it was probably just as unimpressive as a 550XP.

3 years into CAD with 17 saws, the perfect 2 saw plan is a ported 346 variant (Red or Orange) and a ported 500i.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just use a 6" screwdriver on mine.
This

Or a Milwaukee drill held upside down with a long screwdriver bit in it

…and it’s 1/4” driver mate with a bar nut socket on it. They match my Jonsereds.

My bar and chain swaps are like NASCAR!

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This

Or a Milwaukee drill held upside down with a long screwdriver bit in it

…and it’s 1/4” driver mate with a bar nut socket on it. They match my Jonsereds.

My bar and chain swaps are like NASCAR!
You are getting the idea my brain has been mulling over. Great minds think alike.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say what you will about 346 fan boys, my XS 353/346xp pulls a 24” (full skip, hungry) with authority. Stock it was probably just as unimpressive as a 550XP.

3 years into CAD with 17 saws, the perfect 2 saw plan is a ported 346 variant (Red or Orange) and a ported 500i.
It might pay you a bit of service to understand who you're talking to and the context...
Congrats on the sweet saw! Hope you got a nice 455/460 clutch cover on it, good thing it's not on the front getting buried in bar oil and chips though lol. Oh, the 550 mk1 still handles better, and I've owned one or two 346/353 and even 351s thru the yrs(maybe you missed my avatar).That being said what works one, may not work for everyone ;).
Wait, you don't want a ported 372oe to match the 346. Both great firewood saws, but on jobs, I choose to trash newer saws that are easily replaced and have all the newest features/upgrades, with the exception of the 550mk1's.

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might pay you a bit of service to understand who you're talking to and the context...
Congrats on the sweet saw! Hope you got a nice 455/460 clutch cover on it, good thing it's not on the front getting buried in bar oil and chips though lol. Oh, the 550 mk1 still handles better, and I've owned one or two 346/353 and even 351s thru the yrs(maybe you missed my avatar).That being said what works one, may not work for everyone ;).
Wait, you don't want a ported 372oe to match the 346. Both great firewood saws, but on jobs, I choose to trash newer saws that are easily replaced and have all the newest features/upgrades, with the exception of the 550mk1's.

chipper1,

For me, a guy who is totally new to Husq saws, with the purchase of my 394XP, school me on these 550mk1's and why you brought up the 346/351/353's. Also, what did you mean by "Wait a minute, you don't want a ported 372oe? I know a little about the 372XP, but what is the oe mean that you refer to? If I may explain what I think, you mean Original vs an Xtorq version? If so, fill me in on the differences pros and cons etc.

20 years ago, I did run some kind of <50cc H saw one day that a widow lady farmer friend had. But so far, my 394 that I got last week, seems like a well made saw.

Last edited:

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To bring it back full circle, nothing wrong with a bone stock rancher, set the chain according to saw output and fiber to be ripped.

She still pulls nice fibers, 25 years later, 5 years seasoned hard wood.

55.jpg

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To bring it back full circle, nothing wrong with a bone stock rancher, set the chain according to saw output and fiber to be ripped.

She still pulls nice fibers, 25 years later, 5 years seasoned hard wood.

View attachment 400965

I'd take a reliable and good cutting model 50 any day, because for me, those are the qualities I look for in saws, trucks, power tools, etc.

Great pic, ZERO

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
chipper1,

For me, a guy who is totally new to Husq saws, with the purchase of my 394XP, school me on these 550mk1's and why you brought up the 346/351/353's. Also, what did you mean by "Wait a minute, you don't want a ported 372oe? I know a little about the 372XP, but what is the oe mean that you refer to? If I may explain what I think, you mean Original vs an Xtorq version? If so, fill me in on the differences pros and cons etc.

20 years ago, I did run some kind of <50cc H saw one day that a widow lady farmer friend had. But so far, my 394 that I got last week, seems like a well made saw.
First of all, the 394 is the only 3 series saw that didn't get the side tensioner upgrade, and the 395 is the same. While some guys don't mind a front tensioner, I see no reason to own a saw with a front tensioner if I don't have to, although I do have a great running 242xp with mild port work done and the squish set. The 394 is a tough saw, just not one I need or really want, I'd buy a 661 or a 660 if I needed a 90.
Most everything that needed to be said about the late 550mk1 has been said here, summary; the issues of the early 550mk1 had been fixed, best handling 50cc saw and best for ergonomics(some guys prefer stihls), and they are lighter than the new 550mk2.
You already have the 346, the 50/70 equivalent would be the 372, I like a nice 50/70 saw plan as I don't run the 60cc saws as much if there's bigger wood to be cut as the weight difference with some of the newer and even older 70cc saws isn't that much for the power difference.
Yes original vs the xtorq. While both saws run well, the original was what went with the 346, the xtorq came when the 550 was out. As stated above I was just giving you a hard time about needing the ported 372oe since it was the corresponding saw to the 346, but a ported 500i is a nice saw too(but prefer the handling/ ergonomics of a husky).
Pros cons of the oe vs the xtorq, oe is lighter, xtorq has a wider sweet spot(power band) and gets better fuel economy. Xtorq is heavier and has plastic cages in the bearings that can melt/have issues, and it also has a limited coil that makes tuning more difficult for many. The handlebar on the oe is smaller(in diameter) which some guys like and others like the larger one. The handlebar on the xtorq is also taller so the xtorq doesn't handle quite as nice as the oe.
Almost forgot; why I bought all the 346 chassis saws, I like saws, and the 346 is one of my favorites, I've also bought/sold many saws, more so in the past. You can build a 346 on any of those.