Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update

Spent most of the day, yesterday, wearing the ZERO chaps (82°F and sunny) while testing some saws, etc. It's been too hot, humid, or rainy recently to just be standing outside for me, let alone doing much physical work. COVID restrictions have limited some other sawing opportunities.

While focused on the work, I actually forgot that I had them on. The additional bulk was noticeable over my jeans, but the soft feel of the product felt more like a layer of fleece or sweat pants than protective gear. I did not feel restricted in my movements or excessively hot, although, the chaps were noticeably damp on the inside when I removed them. I was able to bend down, pick up logs, set up sawbucks, cut, pick up cookies, clean up the area, etc.

The Clogger chaps have more straps and buckles than some other brands, due to their perspective that the protective fabrics have to stay in place in order to work. So it does take a few more seconds to put them on, and to take them off. But a 'Velcro' strip along the bottom of each leg helps to hold them in position while fastening the buckles and securing the straps.

*One thing of note is that I normally wear chaps with a pair of suspenders to help support their weight, and to hold them in place on my, . . . er . . . , um . . . , 'mature male physique'. I did not need them with these ZERO chaps, due to the lighter weight (?), thinner format (?), or just the way that they fit me (?). Your mileage may vary.

I apologize that I did not assess the cut resistance of the chaps during this evaluation by intentionally (or unintentionally) jamming one of the saws into my leg - I will continue to place my confidence in Clogger's test machine, and multiple certifications, for now.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update 2 - In Defense Of . . .

Yesterday I used the Defender Pro chaps under similar conditions (86°F and sunny) These fit similarly (same size, same manufacturer), and also afforded a wide range of movement. But the stiffer, outer fabric was noticable, when directly compared to the ZERO chaps, in an almost side-by-side situation. They were also slightly hotter to wear, due to the water repellant coating and hard finish nylon outer shell fabric. My jeans were noticeably more damp, after removing the chaps. Still a lot more comfortable than some of the bulkier chaps that I am used to.

Two good choices: the ZERO chaps for the most comfortable chainsaw protection, especially in an open environment; and the Defender Pro chaps for those who have to slog through wet or pricker filled brush.

Philbert

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got these Defender Pro Trousers: https://clogger.co.nz/defenderpro-tough-chainsaw-pants/ love em! Could wear them all day, don't feel any hotter than a pair of jeans and there's not a lot of restriction in movement. Love how the pockets have zippers, means I can leave my phone in there without worrying about losing it and the zipper keeps the sawdust out too. As well as the elastic top the pants have belt loops...I much prefer a belt over suspenders.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update 2 - In Defense Of . . .

Yesterday I used the Defender Pro chaps under similar conditions (86°F and sunny) These fit similarly (same size, same manufacturer), and also afforded a wide range of movement. But the stiffer, outer fabric was noticable, when directly compared to the ZERO chaps, in an almost side-by-side situation. They were also slightly hotter to wear, due to the water repellant coating and hard finish nylon outer shell fabric. My jeans were noticeably more damp, after removing the chaps. Still a lot more comfortable than some of the bulkier chaps that I am used to.

Two good choices: the ZERO chaps for the most comfortable chainsaw protection, especially in an open environment; and the Defender Pro chaps for those who have to slog through wet or pricker filled brush.

Philbert
Thank you for the follow up updates Philbert. I’ve been wondering how they would compare to more bulky chaps in the hotter weather. Thanks again.

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
7:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the review Philbert. You talked me into it

f9127fb183f376e591de73b387396f42.jpg

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DefenderPro vs Zero

The difference between the 'Zero' and 'DefenderPro' chaps is like the difference between wearing pajamas and waxed Carhartts!!! Similar thickness, and the same protection rating. Same inner fabric. The outer fabric on the Zero model is described as 'lightweight and breathable'. It is also soft, and quiet. I do not feel the need to take them off, even as I write this!

Reminds me of the difference between some 'homeowner' and 'Pro' chaps that I have - sometimes I would wear the 'homeowner' chaps when it was a short duration, low risk task, or hot out. Times when I didn't really want to put chaps on, but knew that I 'should'. But these are more of a 'Pro' grade!

The Zero fabric has an applied water resistant coating on it, that Clogger says can be reapplied if it wears off after several launderings.
I appreciate your detailed review. I'd rather wear Carharts than pajamas in the woods personally, but perhaps some people are fond of pajamas...

So, how did each pair hold up? I've generally a bunch of wild berry bushes, lifting heavy rounds while stacking, and brushwhacking to contend with; this weekend was an impenetrable buckthorn wall that once cut back revealed...more buckthorn, go figure. 9' tall 40' long by 15' wide brush pile.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate your detailed review. I'd rather wear Carharts than pajamas in the woods personally, but perhaps some people are fond of pajamas...

So, how did each pair hold up? I've generally a bunch of wild berry bushes, lifting heavy rounds while stacking, and brushwhacking to contend with; this weekend was an impenetrable buckthorn wall that once cut back revealed...more buckthorn, go figure. 9' tall 40' long by 15' wide brush pile.
My defender pro’s are still holding up quite well. I do hand wash them though just because I don’t want the crap in my washer that gets on them.
I don’t get into the kind of stuff you describe often but they keep my legs from getting cut to crap in thorns and clearing young western juniper as well as gum, mesquite and, hedge with their thorns.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've generally a bunch of wild berry bushes, lifting heavy rounds while stacking, and brushwhacking to contend with;
I would go with the Defenders in that situation.

The Zeros really appeal to climbers, who need saw protection, but less likely to be moving through pricked, thorns, etc.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do hand wash them though just because I don’t want the crap in my washer that gets on them.
This has come up a few times, in various threads.

Laundromat.

The larger, front loading, no-agitator machines work well. I have fit 3 pairs of chaps in my home, front loading machine, but gotten 6 pairs into a commercial washer (volunteer group equipment).

Even for one pair, $3 is very reasonable, and does a better job cleaning sweat-soaked fibers.

Just remember: NO bleach and NO fabric softener. Check your manufacturer’s label!

Philbert

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have access to a commercial machine at work that we use for cleaning bunker gear. I just spray them down with citrosqueeze brush them with a soft bristle brush and garden hose and let them hang dry while I’m on duty.

Citro is approved by many of the manufacturers. It is also what we use cleaning bunker gear at work.
I bought myself a gallon a long time ago and still slowly going through it. It works great on rope and webbing as well. Give citro a chance to soak and it cuts nearly all grease and sweat out completely. After seeing how clean it managed to get gear that probably would have been condemned otherwise after a refinery fire and not harming the protective properties of it, I am still impressed with it.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have access to a commercial machine at work that we use for cleaning bunker gear. I just spray them down with citrosqueeze brush them with a soft bristle brush and garden hose and let them hang dry while I’m on duty.

Citro is approved by many of the manufacturers. It is also what we use cleaning bunker gear at work.
I bought myself a gallon a long time ago and still slowly going through it. It works great on rope and webbing as well. Give citro a chance to soak and it cuts nearly all grease and sweat out completely. After seeing how clean it managed to get gear that probably would have been condemned otherwise after a refinery fire and not harming the protective properties of it, I am still impressed with it.
Thank you! Found it by the gallon instead of by the case:

Order Summary

Cart Subtotal $36.00
Shipping (UPS) - United Parcel Service - UPS Ground $17.44
Tax $0.00
Order Total $53.44