Carb Testing 1128s

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a video of the results of some of my carb testing. Featured are my CFB Hybrid, MMWS 460, Dr Al 460, and my 044.

The 044 liked the stock ZAMA carb better than any other, and is the "baseline" in this testing. The other three saws were originally all a little faster than the 044, but the carb changes made 2 of them a good deal faster than the 044, but slowed the MMWS saw.

The first saw is my CFB Hybrid, and it loved the HD-11 (arctic 044) carb. Cut times improved almost 10% when I did not lean on it too hard (I was trying to see how much it would take). Note: This saw originally had a HD-50 carb on it, and it would not tune with a HD-16.

The second saw is my MMWS 460 with the HD-50 carb. It did not like it. I tried it twice more with a different tune and modding the chain, and it did not make any difference. I have since put the original carb back on it, but have ordered another HD-11 that I plan to try on it. This saw runs considerably stronger with the HD-16 carb that was on it.

Third is my Dr Al 460, and it just loved the HD-50 (461) carb, much more than the HD-11 the Hybrid liked, or the HD-16 that was on it when I got it. Again, cut times are almost 10% faster with the HD-50.

The fourth saw is my 044. It is a strong running unported saw that acts as a good base line for comparing the other saws. It like the ZAMA that came on it better than the other carbs.

I found it interesting that the Dr Al 460 really liked the HD-50 best, but the Hybrid was just good with that, and the MMWS 460 and 044 did not like the HD-50 at all.

Conversely, the Hybrid loved the HD-11, but that carb did not help the Dr Al 460 much, and the 044 was a bit slower with it. I still have to try one on the MMWS 460.

It also surprised me how much difference the carbs made on the Hybrid and the Dr Al 460. You notice the difference.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wasn't the chain. If you read my post I did play with both the chain and tune on that saw (did not post all the vids) and it did not make any difference, but that saw ran faster with the orig carb (same B&C).

All carbs 4 stroked out of the cut, and cleaned up in the cut. As was mentioned, we (me & CFB) could not get the Hybrid to 4 stroke with a HD-16 carb. It did 4 stroke and run good with a HD-50, but ran better yet with a HD-11.

I originally included my Dr Al 460 in the testing but not my MMWS 460, erroneously thinking what one liked the other would like. Turned out I was wrong on that assumption, as I discovered when I put the HD-50 on the MMWS 460.

The goal of my testing was not to compare saw A to saw B (using same B&C), but to see if I could improve performance of any of my saws with carb changes. I was able to do so on 2 of the 4 saws, and will do more tests on the MMWS saw.

I have concluded the 044 just likes the orig ZAMA.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, what do you mean "it wasn't the chain ?"

I said that it needs attention.

You've still not answered the other question as to what criteria you used to tune each carb to each saw ?

Or did you ......... by observing that they 4 stroked out of the cut and cleaned up in the cut ?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, what do you mean "it wasn't the chain ?"

I said that it needs attention.

I gave it attention and it did not make much difference, but switching the carb back did. If it was the chain, switching the carb would not have helped.

Or did you ......... by observing that they 4 stroked out of the cut and cleaned up in the cut ?

Yes, I made sure they 4 stroked, then cleaned up in the cut.

I welcome others, such as yourself, who may have better tuning skills to perform similar tests.

I was disappointed my testing did not yield just one one carb that improved performance in all the saws, that would have made things easy, but was not the case.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave it attention and it did not make much difference, but switching the carb back did. If it was the chain, switching the carb would not have helped.
You're inferring alot here.
I'm not concerned at all with which saw is betterer or not.
A smart question would have been along the lines of this:

"Hey MostlyOldPartsAndRust guy, why are you saying that particular chain needs attention ?"

Yes, I made sure they 4 stroked, then cleaned up in the cut.

I welcome others, such as yourself, who may have better tuning skills to perform similar tests.

I was disappointed my testing did not yield just one one carb that improved performance in all the saws, that would have made things easy, but was not the case.
Please PM me your address and phone number, I'm going to mail you a brand new, never used tach. Once you get it, let me know and we will have a short conversation on the phone. Your future results might be somewhat different from these recent ones. They might not be different, that is true, but at least I'm willing to bet that each saw will have a fighting chance once they are tuned to run where they like. You can then use the tach to keep each of them in their sweet spot.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I appreciate it, but I currently have 2 tachs. One is on the Flying Tiger 660, the other I use when the spirit moves me.

Using a tach can also result in a million variables. What RPM does a particular saw like best? Some saws like it a bit lean, others a bit rich. And will the sweet spot change for each carb??? Only testing will show.

I did not have the time, or wood, to do endless testing. I did, however, significantly improve the performance of two of my saws. I'll take it.

I welcome others to do similar tests using other methods.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, it is strange. The Dr Al 460 loves that carb, the Hybrid was "OK" with it, but it killed performance on both my 044 and my MMWS 460. I can't explain it, but "it is what it is".

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Information I got through Walbro.
03b4a09221da9809f56a6a11152c271c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, what is the difference between and HD-8 and an HD-11? What did the HD-8s come on???

Is the HD-8 the HD-11 w/o the arctic heating stuff???

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The guy at Walbro that I spoke with could only give me statistical numbers. He did not know the different nuances between them. He did state the higher the number rhe newer the carb. I gotta try ans call again and see if I can get more info on these.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk