Cannon Bars

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you measure the rail gap on a cannon compared to an Oregon the cannon is tighter. The bigger bars all look the same in Canada or the US. I doubt oregon makes 2 profile bars for them to rebadge

I get what you're saying....So all the bigger bars in the US use the Oregon type tip then??.....I do believe all Cannons regardless of size are "Oregon appearing" up here....Although I've never ordered anything smaller than a 24" in a pro mount.

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They all use the same tip for ease of getting them is why they told me. It's a cheap tip so it's better than blowing out a stihl tip

I must be having a really hard time conveying what I'm getting at and it's interesting that you say they are not using a Stihl tip, because if you spend a minute and refer to this thread below, you'll see that all the Cannons in the comparison appear to use an ES type Stihl tip including the longer bars in the 30" plus range.....Just pondering the inconsistency. :)

http://opeforum.com/threads/guide-bar-test-pictures-comparison.1269/

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I must be having a really hard time conveying what I'm getting at and it's interesting that you say they are not using a Stihl tip, because if you spend a minute and refer to this thread below, you'll see that all the Cannons in the comparison appear to use an ES type Stihl tip including the longer bars in the 30" plus range.....Just pondering the inconsistency. :)

http://opeforum.com/threads/guide-bar-test-pictures-comparison.1269/
Those super bar plus were about 40% more expensive and stihl discontinued those style tips so I wouldn't want to be stuck with those bars later on.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cannon is a small company with a reputation of having the very best quality bars available. I would have serious doubts about them having re baged Oregon bars, despite the tips.

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- cannon used the stihl wide nose tips for their superbar 'Plus' line. They were rather expensive relative to superbar line and turned out not to be great sellers. The Superbar line and most of the Oregon bars out there use the same design single rivot tip...which is a narrow nose tip.

- Stihl discontinued making the medium mount 3003 stihl wide tip bars in 2014. But the large mount 3002 bars still use the wide tips. Stihl is still making the 3/8ths (3003 000 2539) and 404 (3003 640 2538) wide tips at this time. 2016.

- Early 2015 I spoke with Bill Challenger (owner of Cannon) and told me that Stihl stopped making the tips and that is why they stopped the "plus" line of bars. In hindsight I believe Bill was confused on that. I believe (this is my opinion) another reason the plus line was stopped was because they weren't good sellers.

- per Bill Challenger - Early in 2016 Piltz (one of Cannon's largest dealers) purchased ALL remaining "plus" bars from cannon. At this time Piltz has them on ebay.

- While most Oregon bars and Cannon Superbar line use the same design tip. IMO their sources...who makes the tip for them is different.

- I've never seen any evidence that anyone but Cannon makes their bars. IMO the bars are extremely well made.

Last edited:

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- cannon used the stihl wide nose tips for their superbar 'Plus' line. They were rather expensive relative to superbar line and turned out not to be great sellers. The Superbar line and most of the Oregon bars out there use the same design single rivot tip.

- Stihl discontinued making the medium mount 3003 stihl wide tip bars in 2014. But the large mount 3002 bars still use the wide tips. Stihl is still making the 3/8ths (3003 000 2539) and 404 (3003 640 2538) wide tips at this time. 2016.

- Early 2015 I spoke with Bill Challenger (owner of Cannon) and told me that Stihl stopped making the tips and that is why they stopped the "plus" line of bars. In hindsight I believe Bill was confused on that. I believe (this is my opinion) another reason the plus line was stopped was because they weren't good sellers.

- per Bill Challenger - Early in 2016 Piltz (one of Cannon's largest dealers) purchased ALL remaining "plus" bars from cannon. At this time Piltz has them on ebay.

- While most Oregon bars and Cannon Superbar line use the same design tip. IMO their sources...who makes the tip for them is different.

- I've never seen any evidence that anyone but Cannon makes their bars. IMO the bars are extremely well made.

Thank you!!!!.....That's the kind answer I was looking for! Like I mentioned, my distributor sells cannon as well as Oregon and I have brought Cannon bars in by request. Always wondered if the added price tag was worth it...Anyway, my original question was about the tip style discrepancy and now that you've expained it, it makes perfect sense!....Thank you, Sir! :)

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 cannon bars and I will say I have never had another bar come close to the quality. Total/Sumura are close but still are not as hard or tight of tolerance than a cannon.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these Days cannon will make reduced weight bar. Not holding my breath anymore though.

So far they are the best bar I've used. I do have 2 tsumura bars now one RW one solid but don't have enough run time on either to know for sure yet

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard talk about it but so far talk is all it is.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- cannon used the stihl wide nose tips for their superbar 'Plus' line. They were rather expensive relative to superbar line and turned out not to be great sellers. The Superbar line and most of the Oregon bars out there use the same design single rivot tip...which is a narrow nose tip.

This is the Superbar Plus that I got from Redbull with the Stihl wide nose tip. Dang good bar20160409_073300.jpg

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang good looking saw Keith

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time