Bow Hunting

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going with a new string for the xlr8 this year going to order one from extreme bowstrings
been looking at this onehttps://www.extremebowstrings.com/p-220-1-bowstring-and-2-floating-buss-cables-bcy-x.aspx got to get it ordered.
Consider getting strings from Swatara Creek Outfitters (717-867-4995). Jeff makes AWESOME strings and cables. I have them on all of my bows. Lucky me, the shop is only about 20 minutes away from my house. P.S. Stokerized stabilizers are made in the same shop and they are as good as you can get for hunting.
20ydgroup.jpg

BuckMountCropped_zpsbcb10925.jpg

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Consider getting strings from Swatara Creek Outfitters (717-867-4995). Jeff makes AWESOME strings and cables. I have them on all of my bows. Lucky me, the shop is only about 20 minutes away from my house. P.S. Stokerized stabilizers are made in the same shop and they are as good as you can get for hunting.
20ydgroup.jpg

BuckMountCropped_zpsbcb10925.jpg
Thank you but I put through the order already or would consider it.I also ordered a string for my Red stag takedown as well.

Thats a nice groupin you got there.

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you but I put through the order already or would consider it.I also ordered a string for my Red stag takedown as well.

Thats a nice groupin you got there.
Lots of great string makers out there. You will be happy with quality aftermarket strings, no matter the maker.

Jose A.S.T.S.

#DoingtheWork!!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Blackgreyhounds my dad grew up in Hadley, Shakleyville area still have alot of family in those parts. My first cousins son shot a toad up there this past season on his birthday. Pa hunting lots of great stories when my dad's side of the family get together. Really good deer you have on the wall congratulations, nice shooting too.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When I started shooting bow I thought a Robin Hood was awesome... Then I had to buy more arrows and they weren't as cool... Lol
My 15yr old Will got pretty proficient with a bow at about 12 and after quite a few Robin Hoods I got him some more bags and even found some foam from a Marina , I told him not to shoot the same target anymore I was tired of buying arrows. I didn't care if I had to buy a target for every arrow!

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have my bow but squirrel hunt with my 22lr rifle during bow season which is also squirrel season.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today is Opening day in Michigan
Called this one in no bait needed. 225 grain Muzzy Phantoms puts them down.
IMG_20171001_191718825.jpg
I pray when I hunt it's always better that way.I ask for the oppurtunity and guide my arrow for a clean and quick kill.He never seises to amaze me.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
KS has got some nice bucks too. Went there hunting with some guys from Bowhunter Magazine about 3 years ago. Chipper Jones from the Atlanta Braves was there too. Shot a 150 class deer there and when I put my bow down an even bigger one was standing broadside at 10 yards. Just shook my head. They dont get big enough or old enough in my neck of the woods to even compare to those deer.

Where were you at? A friend does some guiding on His ground that I sometimes hunt beside and I believe that the name Chipper Jones came up once. His name wasn't Kevin Schriver was it?

And yes, we have some VERY nice bucks here in KS. I'd almost trade 1/2 of them for the long, straight trees that everyone outside of the Mid-West has, but the deer, quail and pheasant are nice. I have yet to have the time/$$$ for bow hunting, but will get here. For right now all but my 1st deer have taken with a Ruger .243 at anywhere from 37 to 299 yards. The first was on a 70 yard, on the run, quartering angle shot with an Enfield Jungle carbine in .303 and it hit like a freight train. I also have an 8mm Mauser and a M-1 Garand, but haven't used either of them, yet.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where were you at? A friend does some guiding on His ground that I sometimes hunt beside and I believe that the name Chipper Jones came up once. His name wasn't Kevin Schriver was it?

And yes, we have some VERY nice bucks here in KS. I'd almost trade 1/2 of them for the long, straight trees that everyone outside of the Mid-West has, but the deer, quail and pheasant are nice. I have yet to have the time/$$$ for bow hunting, but will get here. For right now all but my 1st deer have taken with a Ruger .243 at anywhere from 37 to 299 yards. The first was on a 70 yard, on the run, quartering angle shot with an Enfield Jungle carbine in .303 and it hit like a freight train. I also have an 8mm Mauser and a M-1 Garand, but haven't used either of them, yet.
Can't remember his name. We were outside of Wichita, St. John's if I remember correctly. Got to look at a map. I've been beginning for 30 years and that hunt was the first time I rattled in a deer. You should have seen me, like a little kid. The chit will work if you have bucks that fight. Out east there at so many does, they don't have time for fighting.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody shoot a compound without sights, instinctively like a recurve or stickbow? I have a really nice Matthews I got a few years ago and haven't shot it much. I really want to get into recurves and instinctive shooting, but it makes more financial sense to start out with the box I already have if that is feasible. Some folks say that a compound will never shoot instinctively as well as a traditional, others say it doesn't matter as long as you practice and get everything set up right.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I shoot compound without a peep sight but everything else. Started by shooting a compound like a traditional. It can be done. But if you rally want to shoot traditional, get traditional tackle. There are recurves used for sale or at a flea market that wont cost you much. Whatever you choose your probably going to be with it for a little while because the difference between traditional versus compound.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, you shoot a compound with just a front sight? Is that similar to the traditional way of using the point of an arrow as a front sight? I live on 70 acres which does have some deer and turkey and not much hunting pressure. We have a long bow season here so I could spend one out three saturday mornings in my stand while the wife and baby snooze.:cool:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somewhat, but they are different animals. I also shoot a trigger release where traditional use their fingers. Got a kisser button to instead of my index finger on my chin for anchor. Just different ways to release the arrow. Experiment. What works for one might be uncomfortable for another.

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
225 grain Muzzy
Do they sell heads that heavy ? I use a 100gr brass insert so I can shoot whatever head I want. I went back to spitfire's maxx last year man I forgot how they put deer down.
Nice buck by the way.