Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do we have any avid bow hunters here? When I was a little younger I was bow hunting like crazy. Come hunting season I didn't use a gun at all. I hunted strictly with a PSE Fire Flite. I'm not sure how many deer I harvested with that bow......but it was several. I never hunted from a tree stand either. Always on foot.......

So? Why did I stop hunting? I got sick with Lymes disease. Now I'm scared to be in the woods in the fall. :(

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
8:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do we have any avid bow hunters here? When I was a little younger I was bow hunting like crazy. Come hunting season I didn't use a gun at all. I hunted strictly with a PSE Fire Flite. I'm not sure how many deer I harvested with that bow......but it was several. I never hunted from a tree stand either. Always on foot.......

So? Why did I stop hunting? I got sick with Lymes disease. Now I'm scared to be in the woods in the fall. :(
I used to shoot a PSE Fire-Flite 3D with an overdraw hunting and in competition 3D shoots in NC when I was stationed there in the Marine Corps back in the mid-80's...still have the bow to this day. Was a damn good bow back in its day...I had the heavy duty limbs on it and shot 85lb draw weight. Used to chrono around 315 ft/sec with it which was basically unheard of back in the mid-80's, a bow that would push 300 plus ft per sec, but cranked up to 85lbs it would blister 'em on the chrono.

Nowadays and have been for several years, I shoot a Browning Illusion II and a Browning Mirage SX, both solo-cam bows.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here Lymes was unheard of. Nobody got that this far south. So, I went three years with it before it was diagnosed. One day I just fell down getting out of my truck. That was my last day as a carpenter.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My family is from new York/Jersey area, Lyme's is all over out there.

Years ago they told my uncle he either had MS, Lyme, or autoimmune disease.

They treated for Lyme and he got better, not an easy diagnosis, especially back then, but my friends that hunt in Lyme endemic areas usually take doxycycline during and after tick picking.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm an Avid bow hunter, strictly stalking no tree stands.
every once in a while i " cheat" and use my Australian Shepherd to bring the herd back my way. I shoot a 30 year old Howatt one piece Recurve #50@28 . i'm hoping to get something nice in Oct....20160802_235826.jpg

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use to bow lived it breathed loved it I too shoot a PSE Mach flight 4 with a over draw used a TM hunter rest now my sone dose the bow hunting IMG_20150722_102245775_HDR.jpg

sgrizz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a compound bow and Pennsylvania has allowed crossbows also .
I use a ten point turbo gt and I also have a parker hornet crossbow.
I have a lot of deer activity on our property and they use the property to travel back and forth to bedding and feeding areas.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always had a hardon for archery but as I've gotten older my passion has gotten soft.I needed a new challenge.I have a old bear kodiak magnum that I love to shoot. Moving to present location I've found still hunting to be the new challenge and have walked with deer a couple of times. One of the coolest experiences I have ever had.I have trophys on the wall but for me its about getting it from the field to the plate. I have to fill tags.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always had a hardon for archery but as I've gotten older my passion has gotten soft.I needed a new challenge.I have a old bear kodiak magnum that I love to shoot. Moving to present location I've found still hunting to be the new challenge and have walked with deer a couple of times. One of the coolest experiences I have ever had.I have trophys on the wall but for me its about getting it from the field to the plate. I have to fill tags.
Funny you mention the 'ol Bear Kodiak Magnum. I had one as well many yrs ago. I started with an ol' Bear Whitetail Hunter, then it's bigger brother, Bear Polar LTD.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I enjoy shooting the Bear the most. I have a few compound as well older mathews Zmax and a XlR8 that I made my own grip for.A Ben Pearson belive is a tx4.Have a couple crossbows as well.
Heres a pic of my grip.The brace is only at 5" on the XLR8 not forgiving. Shooting with this new form grip has helped the groupings zero in. I drew it back while it was forming the grip that came on the bow was to high for me.
NCM_0381.JPG
I also use heavy broad heads I like the Woodsman elite in 200 grains gives me tighter groupings with this bow
I use Muzzy phantoms with the crossbow that are 225 it puts em down.
Woodsman elite 200 grain has a lifetime warranty sharpens up with a file and a hone.
NCM_0384.JPG

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm definitely an avid bow hunter. Unfortunately, recuperating from injury will keep me sidelined this year. Our season started yesterday.

Also have gone through/going through Lyme disease. Terrible, debilitating epidemic.

IMG_20151025_170916779.jpg IMG_20141015_080155_843.jpg

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm an avid bowhuter but for the last couple years my shoulder has be giving me problems, so I bought a crossbow I been using for two yrs.
I like tree stand hunting over still hunting I've taken three this yr 2 doe and got a 11 pt tonight
IMG_2361.JPG
Let's see your deer from this year.

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm an avid bowhuter but for the last couple years my shoulder has be giving me problems, so I bought a crossbow I been using for two yrs.
I like tree stand hunting over still hunting I've taken three this yr 2 doe and got a 11 pt tonight
View attachment 40560
Let's see your deer from this year.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats.