Autotune vs M-Tronic??

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guess is that BS is being called because that’s not what you originally stated. You attempted to sway someone to your way of thinking that a saw used within its designed engineering parameters would wear out sooner because it was being used in a manner that you deemed “hard”. Who said he was using it “maxed out all the time”? Stihl recommends up to a 20” bar for the ms261. Which means they designed it to hold up long term to full bar use at that level.

When you got push back you said, essentially, “meh to each their own” which was a contradiction to your original cautionary statement. Now you’ve moved the goal post again with your last statement. Of course a bigger power head will get the job done faster but not everyone has a pile of saws laying around. Surely you can see the issue others are having?
Wow

I'm not trying to sway anyone. Cautioning and swaying them are very different.

I didn't say anything about speed of getting the work done, either.

I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

Enjoy!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Wow

I'm not trying to sway anyone. Cautioning and swaying them are very different.

I didn't say anything about speed of getting the work done, either.

I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

Enjoy!
You do you bud. Simply pointing out why you were getting pushback.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the end of the day, choose which ever system makes you sleep very well at night.

Support is also a big factor, a local competent dealer has its weight in gold.

They are all mechanical machines, everything goes bonkers once in a while.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sometimes wonder if the people who are dead set against the Mtronic and autotune spend the time in their garage to tear out that black magic voodoo of fuel injection and distributor less ignitions from their daily drivers and cobble in an hei distributor and bolt up a Thermoquad or the like..

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sometimes wonder if the people who are dead set against the Mtronic and autotune spend the time in their garage to tear out that black magic voodoo of fuel injection and distributor less ignitions from their daily drivers and cobble in an hei distributor and bolt up a Thermoquad or the like..
No way, man. Dual points distributor and a Carter AFB!😂

L8R,
Matt

So-Tex

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 Mtronic 201ts, they run good in the cut but seem finicky on cold start up and idle....maybe it is just psychological on my part as I prefer manual adjustments and the solinoids seem a little pricey for a throwaway part. Looking forward to trying Husky Autotune for a comparison,

So-Tex

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been an exclusive Stihl man for 40 years , Just bought a new 372xp OE and now I'm not so much a Stihl fan. Just wish I would have tried (bought more Husky" before all "auto stuff" came out. Not saying the auto stuff is bad.....just not my thing.

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Husqvarna 550xp Mk II still has bottom end issues? I’ve read that the 5 series had reliability issues from using a heavier piston and something about the crankshaft. Or was that from the original 550xp? I know the 550xp Mk II is basically a ground up new design saw, not just a few updates to the original 550xp. Anyone else have any info or experience about this?

L8R,
Matt

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Husqvarna 550xp Mk II still has bottom end issues? I’ve read that the 5 series had reliability issues from using a heavier piston and something about the crankshaft. Or was that from the original 550xp? I know the 550xp Mk II is basically a ground up new design saw, not just a few updates to the original 550xp. Anyone else have any info or experience about this?

L8R,
Matt
The five bolt 550xp cases had some issues, Husqvarna sold 6 bolt full bottom ends fairly cheap. Have ran my mk2 more than the rest of 550xp I have owned. Reset on autotunes 550 is simple and straightforward. Give it a long cut down a log and listen for changes, never have had to do it. Saw is easy to start and re-starts are one pull. Have ran my stepbrothers 261 and it’s a nice saw.

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weeeelllllllll…… I finally made the decision and went with the Stihl MS261C. It was a tough one, but basically it came down to the M-Tronic was just slightly easier to do a reset with than the Autotune. I bought the can of Motomix instead of the 6pk of Ultra oil because as soon as I use up the gallon can, I’ll be running my own 40:1 mix with Amsoil Saber that I use in everything else I own. Please ignore the mess in the garage. Just had a brand new storage shed delivered today too. After I have my shoulder surgery and heal, it will be time to start moving some things out there.
IMG_4115.jpeg
IMG_4112.jpeg

L8R,
Matt

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weeeelllllllll…… I finally made the decision and went with the Stihl MS261C. It was a tough one, but basically it came down to the M-Tronic was just slightly easier to do a reset with than the Autotune. I bought the can of Motomix instead of the 6pk of Ultra oil because as soon as I use up the gallon can, I’ll be running my own 40:1 mix with Amsoil Saber that I use in everything else I own. Please ignore the mess in the garage. Just had a brand new storage shed delivered today too. After I have my shoulder surgery and heal, it will be time to start moving some things out there.
View attachment 416258
View attachment 416259

L8R,
Matt
You’ll love it…report back after you get 5-10 tanks ran threw her!!!

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’ll love it…report back after you get 5-10 tanks ran threw her!!!
Oh I definitely will. But it will be a while. Waiting for the call to get on the schedule for shoulder surgery. Been off work for 8 weeks now and I’ve lost what little mind I had left!

L8R,
Matt

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey there. I am yet another one trying to decide between the Husqvarna 550XP and the Stihl MS261. Around here there’s only about a $20 or so difference in price. Whichever one I decide on will be with the 20” bar. I don’t cut firewood for heat, just a little to burn in the fire pit. The saw I have now is an Echo CS370. It’s been a good little saw, but I’m wanting to upgrade to a 50cc pro saw that is lightweight and will last me quite a long time.

Enough of the rambling. My question is about the computer controlled carbs on the Husqvarna and Stihl. I’m used to tweaking L/H adjustment screws and this will be a first for me. Are there any issues regarding the reliability of either one? I’ve done some searching and haven’t found any info about this one way or another. I just want to make sure that whichever saw I end up getting will be the one with the least amount of issues.

L8R,
Matt
Imo go and pick up the individual saws & see what you like in the hand, ergonomics has a lot to do with hours on saws and safety. I be honest, i am a husky person in preference but not from lack of use on the other, i’ve spent well over three decades on stihls and stihl have a few & complainingly use😂 autotune needs to be tuned properly, i cant vouch for a how to tune mtronic as i simply dont like them. Look up on line Tuning
Hey there. I am yet another one trying to decide between the Husqvarna 550XP and the Stihl MS261. Around here there’s only about a $20 or so difference in price. Whichever one I decide on will be with the 20” bar. I don’t cut firewood for heat, just a little to burn in the fire pit. The saw I have now is an Echo CS370. It’s been a good little saw, but I’m wanting to upgrade to a 50cc pro saw that is lightweight and will last me quite a long time.

Enough of the rambling. My question is about the computer controlled carbs on the Husqvarna and Stihl. I’m used to tweaking L/H adjustment screws and this will be a first for me. Are there any issues regarding the reliability of either one? I’ve done some searching and haven’t found any info about this one way or another. I just want to make sure that whichever saw I end up getting will be the one with the least amount of issues.

L8R,
Matt
Go and pick up both saws and use if possible prior, imo ergonomics lend to a better day and safety. I prefer husky but thats my choice, and i have been on stihl handles for near four decades.
Autotune huskys require tuning correctly, you dont just put them in a block and start cutting. Also 32:1 not fifty to one please! Use good quality air-cooled two stroke oil and higher octane fresh fuel, i run 98 or at the minimum 95 in Au’, lets face it they dont use much for the work the do feed them fresh good fuel. In Aust no dealer of the four or five i walked into could provide the correct procedure to tune a husky with autotune. At the end of the day a more comfortable saw that runs a far cleaner filter system has less vibration uses less fuel and goes harder is my choice but its your money and your preference so buy which ever you like be it one of these brands or not, keep it sharp, and if you smile when using it then your day will be happier and safer, thats what matters. Oh but dont starve it of oil😉👍
Here’s a post for the autotune on a 592, its no different to other cc sizes.