Autotune vs M-Tronic??

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know of a guy that purchased a 261 Mtronic and bought their oil to extend the warranty. The piston/cylinder were toast in 9 months. Used the correct oil and ethanol free premium. It passed the pressure/vacuum tests. No clue how it failed. He had to pay the labor costs. Only the piston and cylinder were under warranty.
I will never use Stihl Ultra. Adding a second year to the warranty isn’t worth running that crap. I’ll stick with the same 40:1 mix I always use with either Amsoil Saber, Echo Red Armor, or Husqvarna XP+ always in 90 octane ethanol free gas.

L8R,
Matt

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
for entertainment.

FWIW, I was deciding between the two late last year as well. Between the videos I found, -THIS- review and the fact I have a Husky 350 and 346XP that can share bar & chains I decided on a 550XP MK II.
Yeah, I watched his videos and some others a few days ago. Right now there’s a local shop selling a 550XP Mk II. It was their shop demo saw and they said it has around 10 tanks through it. They’re asking $545 with three chains and the original used bar. Sounds a little tempting. It’s still under warranty, but I haven’t asked how long is left on it.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited:

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I watched his videos and some others a few days ago. Right now there’s a local shop selling a 550XP Mk II. It was their shop demo saw and they said it has around 10 tanks through it. They’re asking $545 with three chains and the original used bar. Sounds a little tempting. It’s still under warranty, but I haven’t asked how long is left on it.

L8R,
Matt
Should be full warranty since it was never previously owned.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Out of curiosity what causes a solenoid to fail ?
Good question. I watched the early versions fail often on the 441C’s that guys liked to run when they came out. Haven’t witnessed or experienced any failing in any saws that I know of in “late model” (661, 462, etc) saws that I, or most guys run, around here.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I literally had the same question except between non-mtronic and mtronic 261….long story short got the mtronic (first one ever), and dude it’s badass so far….i been burying the 18” in hardwoods and it screams!!!

I have ran it in 20-40 degrees and 70-so far with zero issues….time will tell but very happy so far…I have an old 026 to compare to and I would say it out runs it for sure…

I have a ms362 and ms461, the 362 just sets I use 261c for anything 18” and under, anything over that the 461 gets to eat…I would sell the 362 now as i never use it, I’d rather grab 261 all day!!

Last edited:

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I literally had the same question except between non-mtronic and mtronic 261….long story short got the mtronic (first one ever), and dude it’s badass so far….i been burying the 18” in hardwoods and it screams!!!

I have ran it in 20-40 degrees and 70-so far with zero issues….time will tell but very happy so far…I have an old 026 to compare to and I would say it out runs it for sure…

I have a ms362 and ms461, the 362 just sets I use 261c for anything 18” and under, anything over that the 461 gets to eat…I would sell the 362 now as i never use it, I’d rather grab 261 all day!!
Are you firewooding with the 261? Personal or commercial? I wouldn't expect a stock 261 to hold up long-term on commercial firewood duty if you're consistently burying it, maxing out the bar, especially if it's hardwood. You can get away with it for a while, but it will shorten its life, so calculate that in.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you firewooding with the 261? Personal or commercial? I wouldn't expect a stock 261 to hold up long-term on commercial firewood duty if you're consistently burying it, maxing out the bar, especially if it's hardwood. You can get away with it for a while, but it will shorten its life, so calculate that in.
Why would it not last….i have an 026 that wore a 20”….we will find out because I damn sure ain’t gonna baby it!!!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t agree with this statement either. Burying a bar in wood doesn’t shorten the life of any saw. It can wreak havoc on the clutch if the user is constantly stopping the chain and building heat, but as far as the engine goes, it doesn’t affect a thing.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t agree with this statement either. Burying a bar in wood doesn’t shorten the life of any saw. It can wreak havoc on the clutch if the user is constantly stopping the chain and building heat, but as far as the engine goes, it doesn’t affect a thing.

🤷‍♂️

My fall back: to each their own.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 261 was a favorite firewood saw for pretty much anything under 16-18" wood, both stock and after I had it ported. I ran a 16" 3/8 bar and chain for firewood and I'd swap to .325 for limbing and thinning work.
Funny you say that about the chain…some guys put 2/8s on 261, I don’t like it for limbing either!!!

Mine came with a 16” but I like the little extra length and I could feel it was begging for a little bigger bar….it could wear a 20” but I grab the 461 when *s-word starts getting over 18”-20”…

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny you say that about the chain…some guys put 2/8s on 261, I don’t like it for limbing either!!!

Mine came with a 16” but I like the little extra length and I could feel it was begging for a little bigger bar….it could wear a 20” but I grab the 461 when *s-word starts getting over 18”-20”…

I'd rather run a smoother, less grabby chain for cutting branches, and the extra torque from the smaller drive sprocket is nice when you're dealing with minor pinches in that type of work. Conversely I found 3/8 to stay sharp longer, clear chips better in bigger diameter material, and generally work better for bucking firewood. So, I swapped back and forth.

Now I've switched to Huskies and just keep a ported 350/346 set up with 3/8 and a stock 346 with .325.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd rather run a smoother, less grabby chain for cutting branches, and the extra torque from the smaller drive sprocket is nice when you're dealing with minor pinches in that type of work. Conversely I found 3/8 to stay sharp longer, clear chips better in bigger diameter material, and generally work better for bucking firewood. So, I swapped back and forth.

Now I've switched to Huskies and just keep a ported 350/346 set up with 3/8 and a stock 346 with .325.
What made the switch to huskies??

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What made the switch to huskies??

I run a number of saws on the 345/350/353/346 platform. For me, the cost of ownership was a lot better than the 261. The saws themselves are cheap, the parts are cheap and widely available, plus parts saws are easy to find. Lots of parts interchangeability too. Plus, I like them. Honestly I think in terms of performance and cost of ownership, they're some of the absolute best bang-for-your-buck saws around.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a number of saws on the 345/350/353/346 platform. For me, the cost of ownership was a lot better than the 261. The saws themselves are cheap, the parts are cheap and widely available, plus parts saws are easy to find. Lots of parts interchangeability too. Plus, I like them. Honestly I think in terms of performance and cost of ownership, they're some of the absolute best bang-for-your-buck saws around.
Good deal!!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

L8R,
Matt
It’s a nice cutting saw. Opened muffler up and run an 18 inch bar on mine, primer makes it easy to start and re-starts are one pull. Cutting 24” red oaks are no problem, that being said I use a ported 372 or ported 400 to drop and buck trunks.

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s one thing that has me leaning a little more towards the Husky 550XP. Not that this saw will be used a lot, but I want a quality saw for when I do use it. Aftermarket parts availability is one thing that would help more than having to go through dealers after the warranty has run out.

L8R,
Matt

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s one thing that has me leaning a little more towards the Husky 550XP. Not that this saw will be used a lot, but I want a quality saw for when I do use it. Aftermarket parts availability is one thing that would help more than having to go through dealers after the warranty has run out.

L8R,
Matt

They're definitely both quality saws. And as much as I'd like to own a new 550xpg, the reasons that I listed above for owning a herd of 350/346-family saws doesn't apply to the 550. There's like 8 models of Husqvarna and jonsered saws on that platform, which makes parts saws real common. Not quite the same with the 550 unfortunately.