Archer chain

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It files easy and holds an edge well! I usually touch up real quick every tankfull! Make the chain do the work! I will not hook the Dawgs or push on saw to force the cut! Too old for that!
This kind of comment tempts me to try some Archer chain "Easy file and Holds an edge"

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please don't go by me until I can see if it cuts better. I will let you know. It is possible that I went too far.
OBVIOUSLY I am watching and I will wait a bit the Archer chain isn't out of reason for price but I like to have as much info as I can before I buy a few loops...

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since eyeglasses have become a necessity for me I have been cheating with a file guide and maybe I need to go back to the 101 on filing I will look at my gullet depth , It appears you are fairly close to the tie straps and I might be to far away (not deep enough) I am using a 7/32" file not 13/16" I am looking forward to more pics if you please and Thanks.

Hey @Junk Meister, at 63 I am right there with you on the eyeglasses

I bust out the 1.5x readers for filing, assembly, repairs, etc anymore

Although 90% of my filing is freehand I have file guides and will use one if a chain starts getting wonky (beaky, backslope, etc) and use it to get things back closer to normal

I also kind of follow Buckin Billy's "Get The Gullet" mantra although I don't go at it as fast and furious as he does

I think it can be overdone and the strength of the chain can be compromised

I am not saying the chains posted in this thread are that way

Just saying there can be too much of a good thing

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear that

If I could find someone to trade my Klingon dogs off my big Dolmar for a set of their Euro style I would do it in a heart beat

Other than looking bad ass all they do for me is effectively shorten my bar...
Wanna trade? :)
If You are talking 64/73/79xx spikes I could use another set of Klingon spikes for my PS-7300.
1:1 trade for EU spikes, including shipping.

We can take this to PM if You are interested. ;)

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked at an Archer chain package and at least with mine their is ABSOLUTELY nothing to indicate the country of origin...

Other than AUSTRALIA in the name

I went to both their eBay site and their regular interwebs site and after taking a good look around I didn't see the word CHINA anywhere...

Deceptive might be a very accurate way to describe their marketing practices

Having said all that I do know that one of the recent Archer threads had a link to a YouTube video which plainly showed their Chinese manufacturing facility

I knew going in I was buying Chinese chain but I can see where someone who didn't watch that video could easily believe it was made down under in OZ

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my 24" ARCHER chain that I touched up right out if the box. As a comparison I also ran a Stihl chain.
Saw is a Hacked up 660
@mdavlee

20190503_144349.jpg 20190503_144401.jpg

20190503_145859.jpg 20190503_145912.jpg

In all honesty the Archer performed much better than it did fresh out of the box. Cut well. But the Oregon was smoother and performed much better. I was use Oregon or Stihl chain first.

I will report back here after I file it once or twice more for an updated running log.

Last edited:

bitzer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've run Archer skip chain on a 32" bar ported 390 for over a year in a production setting. Roughly 25' of chain per month. Other then the tie straps breaking on occasion more then Oregon or Stihl it's been a good chain. I grind it with an 1/8" wheel at 30 degrees vs. 60. I broke in a 32" Archer bar this week. We'll see how that goes. So far with around 4 gallons thru the saw the tip has metal flaking off the rails which is indicative of Chinese tips.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my 24" ARCHER chain that I touched up right out if the box. As a comparison I also ran a Stihl chain.
Saw is a Hacked up 660
@mdavlee

View attachment 179773 View attachment 179774

View attachment 179776 View attachment 179777

In all honesty the Archer performed much better than it did fresh out of the box. Cut well. But the Oregon was smoother and performed much better. I was use Oregon or Stihl chain first.

I will report back here after I file it once or twice more for an updated running log.
I realize the chain(s) are 50 Ga. but was the stretch in the archer from those 2 cookies only? AND now that it is stretched let us know (pretty please with bar oil on top) of any more stretching or if it is mostly breaking in the chain stretch.
Thanks for the videos and the saw and tell comments.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run Archer skip chain on a 32" bar ported 390 for over a year in a production setting. Roughly 25' of chain per month. Other then the tie straps breaking on occasion more then Oregon or Stihl it's been a good chain. I grind it with an 1/8" wheel at 30 degrees vs. 60. I broke in a 32" Archer bar this week. We'll see how that goes. So far with around 4 gallons thru the saw the tip has metal flaking off the rails which is indicative of Chinese tips.
What ga. chain are you using? Is the majority of your cutting in hardwood s such as oak or walnut and do you bore cut a lot so the tip gets an extra workout? My friend is Thinking about trying archer out on a 2186 ,, not ported in walnut and oak I haven't told him yet
Thanks

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize the chain(s) are 50 Ga. but was the stretch in the archer from those 2 cookies only? AND now that it is stretched let us know (pretty please with bar oil on top) of any more stretching or if it is mostly breaking in the chain stretch.
Thanks for the videos and the saw and tell comments.
I only made a cut or 2 prior to this video with that chain. This stuff really stretches more than any other chain I have ever used. That chain was snug prior to the cuts.