Archer chain

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update: have about 2 1/2 tanks on the Archer 24" full comp (73lgx84 equiv). Still sharp, cutting well, no stretching. I'll keep running it and see how many tanks it takes to dull it. Keep in mind Im cutting a mixture of dead standing, dead down, Beatle kill, some good some punky and some dirty.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose we sort of put up with it cos it’s cheaper and I don’t mind
Spending a bit of time with a file too make it smoother

But saying that if you had this chain as it is on a lighter saw with
Say 92DL it would be pretty rough going you would feel every jump
In hardwood

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was this a factory profile or did you hit this with a few licks of a file?

wp_20190430_16_35_08_pro-jpg.179459

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The out of box profile is ugly. I made a few cuts, then hogged out the gullet. I haven't put it back in any wood yet to see how I did.
I am looking forward to a few Pics (I am not good at posting pics so pot calling the kettle black) Some out of the box pics and then Mebbe a few of when dull(er) and then with after you do your Magic I don't know about others but I hope to learn a bit ... I am on the fence and some of my concerns are how Archer takes a file as I have always hand filed and am use to Oregon 75LGX I like the Stihl until it is filing time and when Bore cutting I am watching to see comments on stretch. I seldom take a chain off the saw until time to clean or maintenance.. been doing it this way for quite a while but always looking for better ideas.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I haven’t touched the chain yet

I am asking because the factory grind on your full-chisel is completely different than on my Archer semi-chisel

Guess it's all down to cutter style as far as their factory grind goes

Hopefully my new saw shows up soon and I can quit talking about it and actually whack up some wood with it...

:tmnt:

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It files easy and holds an edge well! I usually touch up real quick every tankfull! Make the chain do the work! I will not hook the Dawgs or push on saw to force the cut! Too old for that!

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It files easy and holds an edge well! I usually touch up real quick every tankfull! Make the chain do the work! I will not hook the Dawgs or push on saw to force the cut! Too old for that!

I hear that

If I could find someone to trade my Klingon dogs off my big Dolmar for a set of their Euro style I would do it in a heart beat

Other than looking bad ass all they do for me is effectively shorten my bar...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20180924_115152.jpg
I am looking forward to a few Pics (I am not good at posting pics so pot calling the kettle black) Some out of the box pics and then Mebbe a few of when dull(er) and then with after you do your Magic I don't know about others but I hope to learn a bit ... I am on the fence and some of my concerns are how Archer takes a file as I have always hand filed and am use to Oregon 75LGX I like the Stihl until it is filing time and when Bore cutting I am watching to see comments on stretch. I seldom take a chain off the saw until time to clean or maintenance.. been doing it this way for quite a while but always looking for better ideas.
I will see if I can grab a few pics tomorrow.
The out of the box pics are like the pics posted already. Looks nothing like Oregon or Stihl.
Here is a photo I just found after filing the gullet a bit.

Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 179651
I will see if I can grab a few pics tomorrow.
The out of the box pics are like the pics posted already. Looks nothing like Oregon or Stihl.
Here is a photo I just found after filing the gullet a bit.
Since eyeglasses have become a necessity for me I have been cheating with a file guide and maybe I need to go back to the 101 on filing I will look at my gullet depth , It appears you are fairly close to the tie straps and I might be to far away (not deep enough) I am using a 7/32" file not 13/16" I am looking forward to more pics if you please and Thanks.