Tecomec Premium Corundum Vitrified Wheels

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone tried these wheels? I was wondering how well they compare to, not only the green wheels that came with the grinder, but a CBN wheel too. They aren't much more per wheel, than the green ones, so I don't know if that's an indication of anything or not.

I'm going to be needing to get a new wheel soon. So I was curious if anyone has used these or not.

Thanks folks.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started using the white ones this summer. I haven't tried the green ones . The white ones are very hard and last a long time . I have them in 1/8" for 325 and 3/16" for 3/8 chain .

Attachments

• 20230114_152606.jpg
    20230114_152606.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230114_152259.jpg
    20230114_152259.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 18

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started using the white ones this summer. I haven't tried the green ones . The white ones are very hard and last a long time . I have them in 1/8" for 325 and 3/16" for 3/8 chain .

The green ones are what my grinder came with, and they do OK, but they wear fast, and plug up easy, even if I ultrasonic clean the chain.

Those are the only ones I've tried.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t speak to the longevity of the green when’s, but I feel like they produce less burr. I was sharpening .325 for the first time in a long time yesterday. Typically, with the white wheel, grinding from the inside of the tooth toward the outside on the left cutter, I’ll get a burr on the side plate. I didn’t see that with the green wheel yesterday.
Causation or correlation, more time grinding should determine.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t speak to the longevity of the green when’s, but I feel like they produce less burr. I was sharpening .325 for the first time in a long time yesterday. Typically, with the white wheel, grinding from the inside of the tooth toward the outside on the left cutter, I’ll get a burr on the side plate. I didn’t see that with the green wheel yesterday.
Causation or correlation, more time grinding should determine.

I still need to try mine. I haven't been running my saws much the past couple months. So no chains to sharpen. Philbert posted a chart of Tecomec wheels in another thread and the white wheels are supposed to have a better finish, than the green ones.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So where do you buy the white premium corundum vitrified wheels? I see ArcherPlus carries them but appear to be out of stock on the 3/16 wheels for 3/8 chain...

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So where do you buy the white premium corundum vitrified wheels? I see ArcherPlus carries them but appear to be out of stock on the 3/16 wheels for 3/8 chain...

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. The notifications on this site rarely work for me.

I bought 4 wheels from Archer Plus. I did find it interesting that my second grinder I bought came with these wheels, not the green ones like my first one did.

You might check Archer on Ebay and Amazon, if you haven't already. Sometimes, stuff is out of stock 1 place, but in stock at another.

Also, I prefer 1/8" wheels regardless of chain pitch. It seems to do better and not struggle as much, so to speak.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just checked and they are available at Amazon, from the Archer Plus store, if you still looking.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the benefit in not using CBN? Feed rate should be able to compensate for the courseness of a rough cbn wheel. It shouldn’t change dimensions quickly either.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the benefit in not using CBN? Feed rate should be able to compensate for the courseness of a rough cbn wheel. It shouldn’t change dimensions quickly either.

Not sure, other than cost. I bought a few of these white wheels and a couple CBN's to try. So I'll know eventually, or I'll at least have an opinion.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not completely applied to chain grinder wheels. But the different colors usually indicate wheel construction. Some are harder and some are softer for different applications.
363424-8ad4edd04ea75e13577c690638c7fe63.jpg

This was posted by another member on here, in a thread where we discussed this a little. Nothing about CBN, but this is for Tecomec wheels.

Edit: I'll also add, I don't get as far into the weeds as some do. I bought grinders to save time and have a consistent cutter. I did mess with angles a bit in the beginning, but pretty much have a default I use, depending on size of saw.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CBN wheels are for carbide teeth. Just like a saw is only as effective as the sharpness of it's teeth so grinding wheels are only as effective as they are clean and dressed. Get in the habit of using a dressing stone to clean your wheel often and don't be too aggressive with your cuts and it shouldn't really matter which one youre using.

.02 for ya. :)
CBN isn’t usually recommended for carbide. Typically a diamond grit wheel is used to sharpen carbide. Depending on the grade of carbide usually a diamond wheel will last much longer than a CBN wheel grinding carbide.

Stone grinding wheel’s definitely need dressed with a stone harder than the substrate.

A CBN or diamond wheel needs to be dressed differently.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was disappointed with the CBN wheels I tried. Got coarse results, was still able to overheat cutters, and little support from the vendor. Might have been the specific wheels I got (‘Diamond’ brand). I assume that they can be made with different size / grades of grit. Advantages were minimal grinding dust, and a constant shape.

Standard ‘vitrified’ grinding wheels (aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, ceramic, etc. grit) need occasional dressing, and can be custom shaped, but generate a lot more dust (I grind outside when I can).

The color is dye to indicate grit size, grit type, type of bond, etc.: things that determine how fast they will remove metal, how coarse or fine they will cut, how fast the wheels will wear, etc.

Most basic ‘pink’ wheels work fine for most users. Different grits, etc., can give you more options, if interested.

ArchrrPlus said more of the white wheels are on the way. I am waiting for a 1/8” and 3/16” wheel to compare against the ones I have.

Philbert