Another New Chain Brand...

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still waiting for my 7/32" diamond file to show up from Hong Kong so I can finish trying to file my two loops of Archer

One loop has 2 cutters that just bounce a file off and the other has 1

I thought maybe I cooked those 3 cutters and a couple of filings would get me to softer material but the rakers on those three cutters are just as hard as the cutting edge and just shriek under a brand new Stihl raker file

No way I did that in just a few minutes of cutting when the rest file just fine

Not something I would want to deal with in the field so I am not inclined to buy any more

YMMV

I am quite impressed with the Carlton chain that @JimBear sent me recently

As I told him I have close to 30 years with saws (hobby years are like dog years, 7 to 1, so maybe 4.25 actual years with saws) and this is the first Carlton chain I knowingly ever had or even saw

I certainly could have gotten re-branded Carlton under another name

Anyway, every cutter in the loop is beautiful with a perfectly circular grind whereas the Archer it seemed like every other cutter had a different profile and it took lots of strokes to make it even

Waste of chain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One loop has 2 cutters that just bounce a file off and the other has 1 . . .
I thought maybe I cooked those 3 cutters and a couple of filings would get me to softer material but the rakers on those three cutters are just as hard as the cutting edge and just shriek under a brand new Stihl raker file
Sounds like either 'grinder hardened', or mis-tempered at the factory (if the depth gauges are also too hard).

In the first case, I can usually grind past the hardened area, and be able to file again. If the entire cutter is too hard, it might mean that that chain only gets sharpened on a grinder. Sounds like a lot of work, and expense, to use a diamond file IMO.

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like either 'grinder hardened', or mis-tempered at the factory (if the depth gauges are also too hard).

In the first case, I can usually grind past the hardened area, and be able to file again. If the entire cutter is too hard, it might mean that that chain only gets sharpened on a grinder. Sounds like a lot of work, and expense, to use a diamond file IMO.

Philbert

The file was cheap off eBay and will probably be worth about what I paid for

I feel stupid because I didn't try filing the rakers before I ordered the file or I wouldn't have bothered

I will borrow my friend's angle grinder and knock an extra .030 off the hard rakers and probably not mess with them again

At this point it's just entertainment and I am not going to grab these loops if I am going to cut anything more than around the house

Throwing good money after bad but what are you gonna do...

upload_2020-2-7_7-38-7.png

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, don't hold your breath apparently

:facepalm:

I was buying plywood at the hardware store on Tuesday and the yard guy told me a customer showed up first thing that morning

Chinese gentleman from Taipei

Left Taipei on Sunday night simply to get away from the Corona scare, flew to Honolulu, then on to Molokai

How or why he decided to come here of all places is a mystery but scary nonetheless

Anyway, I will let you know how the file works eventually

upload_2020-2-7_8-15-3.png

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wear gloves when you get it.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wear gloves when you get it.

Or wear gloves, throw it away, throw the chains away, and go drink a nice cup of coffee...

Win win

iu

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have three diamond 5.5mm round files, fine to coarse.
I wanted to file my carbide loop but they don't fit into the gullet.

I tried using the diamond files to give a freshly filed chain a finer finish, I wasn't impressed.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have three diamond 5.5mm round files, fine to coarse.
I wanted to file my carbide loop but they don't fit into the gullet.

I tried using the diamond files to give a freshly filed chain a finer finish, I wasn't impressed.

I’m a life long knife nut and I tried diamond stones and hones when they became somewhat affordable

Wouldn’t do anything a good natural stone or ceramic hone wouldn’t do at a fraction of the price

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diamond sharpening tools, wheels, files, hones, aren’t really made for steel. The diamond sharpeners are for very hard material such as carbide or ceramic. Over the years have seen numerous diamond wheels ruined by inexperienced people trying to sharpen end mills and turning tools.