3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water

I was on Amazon looking for trimmer line and this was up in the window above the main page

Tallox brand chains
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 3.04.52 PM.png

"German steel" (doesn't say made in Germany) which seems to be the new buzz word for Chinesium chains

I did a search and didn't see any other buzz about this chain

Doubt I will try any but thought someone might find it interesting

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just over $11 per chain for 24” is really cheap.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The website is in German so maybe it is German steel

I don't see any mention of "made in ..." and no mention of China

I downloaded a Google translation extension and it got parts of the pages translated but not all

Funny it lists the chains by length of the "sword"

I guess I might try one or two and see how they are

I will report back

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, Amazon doesn't show a 3/8 .050 68dl chain so maybe I won't try them

Guess I could get some 72 dl and use my 20" sword

Except...

I cannot find a cutter type specified on the Amazon listing and the pics are too crappy to tell

Hmmmmm

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So in looking for the right chain I see there are at least 5 other brands of chain on Amazon I had never heard of before in addition to Tallox, Upstart, and 8ten

Pandora's box

I kind of think I don't want to be a guinea pig and end up with more crappy chains I don't really need

I am still sorting out Archer chains

@Czed has pretty well tested the Upstart chains and with the existing choices I am not feeling the need to experiment further

Maybe some others can play around and find the hidden gems in the Chinese chain world...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One concern I have with 'third party' chain brands is consistency/ quality control. One loop may work fine, and another not so well.

I visited the Oregon factory several years back, and was really impressed with their quality assurance steps. Not saying that a smaller company can't do the same thing, but if your goal is the lowest price . . .

Also, the price savings versus performance over the life of the chain. Lots of things to consider.

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One concern I have with 'third party' chain brands is consistency/ quality control. One loop may work fine, and another not so well.

I visited the Oregon factory several years back, and was really impressed with their quality assurance steps. Not saying that a smaller company can't do the same thing, but if your goal is the lowest price . . .

Also, the price savings versus performance over the life of the chain. Lots of things to consider.

Philbert

You hit the nail on the head sir

Consistency is the name of the game

It’s not always about price with me either

Some times it’s about options

Knowing there is a plan B in place if you can’t get your old standby

I also think many of the better import stuffs in all categories helps to keep the big guys from becoming complacent

Do we need all these cheap chains?

Not for me to say

“To each his own”

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is already a thread going on for 8ten chain. Maybe check it out. Seems to be decent for the money.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of all the western nations, Germany is the biggest purveyor of cheap Chinese labor. More so than even the US and Canada...
As a matter of fact for the last 6-8 years before I retired I worked with a bunch of Germans and that is a fact .To add to that just because it might say made in Germany or made in the USA does not tell the whole story .Truth be known you have no idea where it was made .To add to that some Japanese names are actually made in the USA .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ditto
Even Vanguard leaves all the wannabe full chisel safety and non safety cheapo chains behind.

But I do like the cheap chains for being around, without them the brand name chains would be priced even higher.

heavy_oil_saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As a matter of fact for the last 6-8 years before I retired I worked with a bunch of Germans and that is a fact .To add to that just because it might say made in Germany or made in the USA does not tell the whole story .Truth be known you have no idea where it was made .To add to that some Japanese names are actually made in the USA .

May be made in Germany, but from what I’ve seen of Rail/Aviation methods, they employ cheap labour, run them on a course for 5 to 7 days, and walah, you have a Technician. Here in UK, 4 years are spent to become Aviation competent.
I never really look where it’s made, but feed back from users like yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbitz

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon is the best, *f-word the rest:)
It's like rocking horse *s-word to find where I live these days. I can either order Oregon online and wait a minimum of a week for it to be delivered or I can drive 60 miles and buy Husky or Stihl chain or shop locally and buy Archer. They change importers here in Australia and finding a dealer outside of the cities is pot luck. Where as 18 months ago I could walk a couple of minutes up the road from my house and get Oregon chain..