Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Y'all doing okay?
I haven't looked at the AS forums in a long time, haven't been here either... except for conversing with LW occasionally I really have no reason to be here.

I did want to let you know, since some of you are also on AS and are familiar with the 24D issue I experienced last year, and since I've been banned from AS and can't post there any more, my dog was diagnosed yesterday with a rare, aggressive, and deadly form of lymphoma. So rare that my vet says this is only the second case he's seen in all his years of practice - so rare if fact that he took three blood samples since the lab results indicated a possible error. But, it was confirmed by the same results from the three samples and confirmation from the technicians at the lab where his testing machine comes from.

10 months ago he was perfectly healthy, and ten months ago is when we were doused with the 24D, twice.
All the foliage on my property (and surrounding property for miles and miles, but mine was the worst) was decimated, deformed and eventually died. I was completely consumed and overwhelmed with trying to find out what was happening and what to do about what was happening in actual time and in front of my face that I gave little practical thought to long-term effects... for me, my pets, and the wildlife.
I did find where some research had been done on tree frogs exposed to 24D, but I found nothing about the effects on domestic pets.
Of course, the chemical company always say "safe if used according to label instructions" but nothing about when the product lands on non-target plants and animals... they don't use PPE.

For my dog, he walked barefoot in it all day long, every day, drank the puddled water in the yard, and licked his back foot a lot due to a tumor that also appeared on a toe about that same time. Of course I was concerned, but there was nothing that could have been done at that point to eliminate the possible dangers of exposure.

Can I prove that the 24D caused the lymphoma? Not with all the money in the world - if I had rock solid evidence and the best team of attorney's available, I would still not be able to beat all the government agencies and NGOs who would fight back to make the claim the product is "safe if used per label directions."

Do I have any doubts the 24D caused the lymphoma? None whatsoever.
I did a quick Google search yesterday for "24D/lymphoma" and a few results came up showing a suspected link. But, since no one was interested in the damage done to my plants and trees, and I drove myself crazy (and everyone I know) trying to make someone look into it, I also have no doubt anyone will be interested in my dog.

The vet said not to delay the euthanasia since his platelet and globulin count is off the charts, and also the calcium in his kidneys, that kidney failure is imminent... like the next few days.
So, today will be Possum's last car ride.

Who knows? The trees last year, my dog this year, maybe I'll be the next victim. If so, I have all the evidence and even if it all links together perfectly, beyond a shadow of a doubt that 24D is the cause, no on will care and do anything about. Chemical companies will continue to crank out the poisons and people will continue to use it... and all the while, they'll wonder where all the cancer and disease is coming from.
But, deep down, in the essence of their heart, just like I know, so do they.

I've got to get ready to go to the vets office.
Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

xoxo
Sandy

Here's Possum when I found him abandoned as a pup...
possum.jpg

Last edited:

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good insite, but a horrible story to read at 7 am! Sorry to hear about your family member, tears my heart out hearing this.
Yes, horrible. Be thankful you don't have to live it.

... putting things in perspective, I know there are things more horrible that happen to people every day, but for me, today, this is pretty bad.

Last edited:

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, horrible. Be thankful you don't have to live it.

... putting things in perspective, I know there are things more horrible that happen to people every day, but for me, today, this is pretty bad.
My dog is as close to me as anything in this life can be, loosing him would ruin me for a long time. So I can say that would be about as devastating as it gets. I figure it's because our animals are so innocent, and they are here to bring love into our hearts.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel your pain. My father for years sprayed that sh!t and the roundup too. Laid him to rest last May. He developed an unspecified lung scarring illness. Couldn't do nothing, just watched him slowly suffocate, until he was gone. Herbicides are an awful thing and a horse *s-worde way of reducing labor costs while increasing efficiency; but to watch a loved one go that way... I know man, I know.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting read...sorry about your pooch.

I'm curious about this 'dousing'. For miles and miles to be decimated, deformed and eventually everything died, this was obviously not some Farmer Joe's crop duster trying to spray a couple of 40-50 acre fields. This sounds more like an Agent Orange run from the Vietnam days.

Last edited:

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dog is as close to me as anything in this life can be, loosing him would ruin me for a long time. So I can say that would be about as devastating as it gets. I figure it's because our animals are so innocent, and they are here to bring love into our hearts.
So true - pets are the very definition of unconditional love.

I asked my vet to print me up a list of all the animals I've brought to them over the past 25-30 years: 35 names on the list!
I'd guesstimate that 25-30 of them had to be euthanized for one reason or another - I had only one die of "natural causes."
That's a lot of heartbreak.
😪
I'm down to four cats.
Not getting any more.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel your pain. My father for years sprayed that sh!t and the roundup too. Laid him to rest last May. He developed an unspecified lung scarring illness. Couldn't do nothing, just watched him slowly suffocate, until he was gone. Herbicides are an awful thing and a horse *s-worde way of reducing labor costs while increasing efficiency; but to watch a loved one go that way... I know man, I know.
So sorry about your dad, sorry your family had to go through that suffering.

What I was told by the DofAg inspector was that the farmers were "forced" to use the 24D ester last year, which volatilizes real bad, because there was a "shortage" of the "good" kind.
That's why the damage was widespread... it wasn't just one farmer near me, it was likely hundreds of them. That's what the DofAg guy told me, they were seeing it all across the state.

Funny thing is, just six weeks later when they did the second application, there was plenty of the good stuff to go around.
Creating a shortage was the perfect solution to unloading all the bad crap no one would have bought otherwise.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting read...sorry about your pooch.

I'm curious about this 'dousing'. For miles and miles to be decimated, deformed and eventually everything died, this was obviously not some Farmer Joe's crop duster trying to spray a couple of 40-50 acre fields. This sounds more like an Agent Orange run from the Vietnam days.
And, especially since 24D is basically Agent Orange, that's pretty close to the way it happened..

Weather was also a factor, apparently according to the DofAg inspector.
I'm a little oasis of greenery surrounded by hundreds, maybe thousands of acres of crop land (soy and corn).
The 24D volatilized and landed squarely on my property - my cousin 1/4 mile up the road got hit just as bad, maybe worse since he has a lot of larger oaks.
The leaves pretty much on everything died and there was quite a bit of limb dieback, and a few redbuds and paulownias looked the worst last year and may be dead. I am waiting, like everyone told me to do, to see what comes back this spring.
Since 24D is a systemic chemical, it's possible that it will come back up from the roots this spring to work some more of it's magical killing.

I had pretty much put it all behind me once all the leaves had fallen last autumn and then winter came around and I wasn't thinking about it at all.
I had noticed earlier this week the leaves coming out on my clove currant looked normal and the buckeye has nice fat red leaf buds at the tips, so I was actually feeling optimistic about the whole situation
- until my dog gets diagnosed with lymphoma - and now the entire nightmare is coming back to haunt me.
Only I've learned my lesson - getting mad at a chemical companies is like trying to hit a piñata hanging beyond reach with a short stick.
I've given up the fight.

Last edited:

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad to have you here.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Don't know how much I'll participate since I'm a gurl and don't have a chainsaw, yada, yada, yada, but it would be nice to get to know you guys.
I've really missed the good guys on AS... and the good conversations.

Maybe I'll check out some of the threads.. I already saw the one on the recent hackers and changed my password. 😊

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Don't know how much I'll participate since I'm a gurl and don't have a chainsaw, yada, yada, yada, but it would be nice to get to know you guys.
I've really missed the good guys on AS... and the good conversations.

Maybe I'll check out some of the threads.. I already saw the one on the recent hackers and changed my password. 😊

Interest in trees is as good as owning a chainsaw in my opinion. You'll do fine here as long as you can take a bit of ribbing.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And, especially since 24D is basically Agent Orange, that's pretty close to the way it happened..

Weather was also a factor, apparently according to the DofAg inspector.
I'm a little oasis of greenery surrounded by hundreds, maybe thousands of acres of crop land (soy and corn).
The 24D volatilized and landed squarely on my property - my cousin 1/4 mile up the road got hit just as bad, maybe worse since he has a lot of larger oaks.
The leaves pretty much on everything died and there was quite a bit of limb dieback, and a few redbuds and paulownias looked the worst last year and may be dead. I am waiting, like everyone told me to do, to see what comes back this spring.
Since 24D is a systemic chemical, it's possible that it will come back up from the roots this spring to work some more of it's magical killing.

I had pretty much put it all behind me once all the leaves had fallen last autumn and then winter came around and I wasn't thinking about it at all.
I had noticed earlier this week the leaves coming out on my clove currant looked normal and the buckeye has nice fat red leaf buds at the tips, so I was actually feeling optimistic about the whole situation
- until my dog gets diagnosed with lymphoma - and now the entire nightmare is coming back to haunt me.
Only I've learned my lesson - getting mad at a chemical companies is like trying to hit a piñata hanging beyond reach with a short stick.
I've given up the fight.
As a lands management professional, I have my applicator’s card and use some specialized herbicides to control invasives and exotics. 2,4-D is a bad herbicide and is relatively cheap for broad leaf and brush control. Judging by your comment about being surrounded by big ag farms, I would say they are fighting glyphosate resistant pig weed. 2,4-D ester will become volatile in the high heat and humidity of the south. We were taught ester before Easter, Amine after. Herbicides have been hard to come by since C19. I have went to planting less “hot crops” for wildlife and went to more early successional plant communities that provide more protein and better cover. What part of TN are you from? Always good to see another Tennessean in here!

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a lands management professional, I have my applicator’s card and use some specialized herbicides to control invasives and exotics. 2,4-D is a bad herbicide and is relatively cheap for broad leaf and brush control. Judging by your comment about being surrounded by big ag farms, I would say they are fighting glyphosate resistant pig weed. 2,4-D ester will become volatile in the high heat and humidity of the south. We were taught ester before Easter, Amine after. Herbicides have been hard to come by since C19. I have went to planting less “hot crops” for wildlife and went to more early successional plant communities that provide more protein and better cover. What part of TN are you from? Always good to see another Tennessean in here!
"ester before Easter, Amine after"
I like that, and I assume the farmers around here were taught that also.
The way I understand it, last year was a cluster- of circumstances that set the stage for the perfect storm of 24D ester volatilization all across the state, and probably beyond where similar weather conditions existed.
I'm in middle TN, between Nashville and Chattanooga.
I was told because of weather (rain) they had to delay the first spray. By the time they sprayed, we had seen quite a few warm temp days and vegetation had begun to emerge and trees and shrubs had already leafed out and were flowering, I believe, making the plants more susceptible to the effects of the herbicide, due to having more surface area for entry and absorption.

I came across a lot of "interesting" information during that time while researching 24D ester, but the most valuable, I think, was finding Dr. Dykstra and the Advancing Eco Agriculture people.
https://www.youtube.com/@AdvancingEcoAgriculture

I found their methods of farming fascinating and actually tested their claim that insects attack only sick and dying plants on my trees after I saw mine were suffering not only from the initial effects of the herbicide, but shortly after they all began to be infested with insects... which supported their claim.
I bought some of their product and sprayed the entire yard, several times. Although, finding Dr. Dykstra After buying the AEA product, I discovered regular sugar would have a similar benefit. So, I mixed up batches of sugar water and sprayed that under the drip line of all the plants and trees and also on their leaves.
I was shocked to see the immediate improvement in leaf color after just three days - also all the aphids that were infesting my buckeye seemed to disappear.

I honestly don't know why any farmer who is aware of this method of farming would opt to use toxic poisons that not only kill specific target "pests" but also non-target plants and animals when perfectly healthy soil amendments are available.