I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 2 years ago this saw had a meltdown when I thought I may have it sold, as I don't use it much, and Kevin @huskihl Put the Cross MMWS top end on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e45j2hdJsD8

Let it idle for about 30 seconds and doesn't sound to bad. May have it in wood on Monday at my parents house. As he was so nice he vacuum tested it and found seals and bearings worn out. I was just going to put the top end on it and run it, but so glad that Kevin was willing to step up and help a complete stranger out like this. Sorry it took me this long to finally start it up.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin never ceases to amaze me and so do you. Replacing the seals and bearings on this saw is not easy. The case has to be split and then assembled once again. Often that is where the trouble starts -- putting it all back together.

You have a very fine and powerful saw. I look forward to running mine side-by-side with yours.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 2 years ago this saw had a meltdown when I thought I may have it sold, as I don't use it much, and Kevin @huskihl Put the Cross MMWS top end on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e45j2hdJsD8

Let it idle for about 30 seconds and doesn't sound to bad. May have it in wood on Monday at my parents house. As he was so nice he vacuum tested it and found seals and bearings worn out. I was just going to put the top end on it and run it, but so glad that Kevin was willing to step up and help a complete stranger out like this. Sorry it took me this long to finally start it up.

If you think that's impressive, you should see what he can do with a can of franks and beans and some corkscrew pasta.

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Biggest reason I haven't started it sooner is I am very gun shy after the meltdown. Still very on edge to run it, even though I know Kevin does first rate work. I've let it idle 30-40 seconds with a few piss revs. Should I run the 25" bar for a few tanks to help break it in or go right to my 32"? I will try and tune best as I can as I run it, maybe a little help from @Wood Doctor will be there.
Thanks again all and I will try my hand at another video when the time comes.

Stephie

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Biggest reason I haven't started it sooner is I am very gun shy after the meltdown. Still very on edge to run it, even though I know Kevin does first rate work. I've let it idle 30-40 seconds with a few piss revs. Should I run the 25" bar for a few tanks to help break it in or go right to my 32"? I will try and tune best as I can as I run it, maybe a little help from @Wood Doctor will be there.
Thanks again all and I will try my hand at another video when the time comes.

Stephie
Run the chit outta it. Lol

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, since these saws pull 36" bars around here, I think the 32" bar would not hurt it one bit. But, the 25" bar for the first time out might make it easier for the operator to appreciate how much power the "new" saw has available. It won't breathe hard with the 25" on board.

I recall when the MS 660 was brought out. I've serviced several and I must admit that I still enjoy working on them.

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you run a 25" bar put an 8 pin on it to help load the saw.

It came with a 7 and 8 pin when I purchased it off AS several years ago, can't remember how long anymore. Was purchased with a new big bore top end. Pretty sure the 8 pin is what is on it now.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some guy last year tried to tell me one day that a Stihl MS660 wasn't a really good logger saw. So, I dug up this pic that I took about seven years ago:
Andy's Big Cottonwood.jpg
That's a 36" bar. He eventually bucked the tree trunk and big branches into 9' lengths for loading the bunk trailer. Cottonwoods get big around here.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MustangMike and I would like to see this rebuilt saw in action. Perhaps I could then show mine (rebuilt by yours truly) as well. Mine's been dormant for over a year and is raring to go. Choose your B/C combination, 25" or 32".

I think I could supply the big hardwood log as a working medium that would allow these two saws to show their stuff.
:2guns:

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I read the title and thread creator........I grinned and shook my head.

Read this and chuckled....
If you think that's impressive, you should see what he can do with a can of franks and beans and some corkscrew pasta.

Read this right below it and raffed out out loud.....
I guessing it has Extra Sausage.

Sooooo many slow pitches in this thread that I had to walk away before I got myself in trouble.
:roto2lol:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sooooo many slow pitches in this thread that I had to walk away before I got myself in trouble.
You left one out: "Mine's been dormant for over a year and raring to go."
:risas3:

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Come on and join in on the FUN. No reason to hold back here.

Got a big white oak trunk screaming MS660 CrossMMWS sitting out at Lefty's place. Be nice if the rain would ease up for a week or so and find my DEET as he has lots of ticks this year.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ticks love me, Thanks for the tip and the reminder. I usually always carry a spray can of DEET in the truck. These beasts are relentless and this damp weather has been perfect for them to multiply. One of my good friends who bought a Stihl 038 Mag from me went out to Connecticut and got bit with a tick that gave him Lyme disease. I'm not sure if he ever got over it. :eek:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that CrossMMWS is the same Big Bore I put on an 064. 92cc of meanness, I put an 8-pin on the saw with the 24" bar. My biggest problem was tuning the de-comp on it. I ended up with some BIG holes in the de-comp.

The bloke that owns the saw is over the moon. At 70 years old he doesn't have any problem starting it (unlike the stock 064) and the saw will cut ANYTHING he waves it at.