All Things 288XP

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From running good one day to crappy the next. I know I just had it split all the way down but I had a good half a tank through it without problems. I’ll do a pressure and vac to see what’s going on. I’ll check the tank vent too. It might be the fuel filter. It had a nice large one in there. I replaced it with a new one that was a significant amount smaller. But new.

Now that I’m talking it out, it sounds like that might be the problem. It starts and runs good, but it’s like someone pinched off the fuel, after 3 seconds in a 24” oak. I’ll swap the fuel filter and see if that helps before I tear into it again.

Intoxsawcated

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 288 had similar symptoms when I first acquired it.
You might Double triple check the intake block for leaks especially between the block and carb. Maybe cracked gasket or misalignment. The gasket was bad on mine causing the impulse tract to lose enough pressure to run the saw short on fuel on longer cuts. The carb was adjusted richer on both ends to run so it acted rich then went lean but recovered at idle. I overlooked it a few times trying to find the leak.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New gaskets with high tack applied. But stranger things have happened.

Btw. What’s your trick on getting the lower carb bolt out. I shortened a standard Allen wrench, but it’s a pain in the ass. The ball end style doesn’t clear the case.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 288 had similar symptoms when I first acquired it.
You might Double triple check the intake block for leaks especially between the block and carb. Maybe cracked gasket or misalignment. The gasket was bad on mine causing the impulse tract to lose enough pressure to run the saw short on fuel on longer cuts. The carb was adjusted richer on both ends to run so it acted rich then went lean but recovered at idle. I overlooked it a few times trying to find the leak.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Fuel line

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New gaskets with high tack applied. But stranger things have happened.

Btw. What’s your trick on getting the lower carb bolt out. I shortened a standard Allen wrench, but it’s a pain in the ass. The ball end style doesn’t clear the case.
Without pulling the top end a real short Allen was the best way I figured out.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I use on the carb bolts. My cylinder is cut so the bolts sit a bit lower than stock, no issues.
5a4aed57458e03d11e05f2c8014457c8.jpg
0b38cb5dad633b3fae38e9b747d4daa8.jpg

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and love this thread. I don't post much but joined so I could post when needed....like now. I have found a 288 and was wondering if anyone was local to the franklin/sylva, nc area? I'm in lawsonville, nc which is 4hrs away and was hoping a member could check out the saw for me? Thanks.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. The 288 is awesome. I'm so close to saying the hell with it and buying the mint one in the classifieds right now.
Welcome to he nut house my friend! That pair of 288’s for $750 in the classifieds is a darn good buy.

How much is the seller asking for the one near you? If you don’t mind me asking.