Which saw? Advice needed.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cousin is a novice , and an assistant park ranger, let me know if your gonna sell the 038. It would make a good saw for someone like him.

Alberta Farmboy

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the great advice.
I'm actually leaning in the direction that bryanr2 and huskyboy are suggesting. Maybe I get rid of the 362 and the 038 and get a saw just one step up. Is the difference between an 038 and something like a 461 that noticeable?

I don't want to start a *s-word storm here but, are there 1 or 2 general consensus 70 cc class saws that are light and regarded as the better ones to buy? I hear lots of good about the MS 461/462.

Oh, BTW, I live in Canada so everything here is more expensive. As well, for me to sell a saw and ship to the states is likely cost prohibitive, correct?

Last question for now, are there any good saw builders/experts on this forum from Canada?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly so no problem with an 038 and if he just kept the group he has minus selling and he makita to buy parts for the 288 he would be happy

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm actually leaning in the direction that bryanr2 and huskyboy are suggesting. Maybe I get rid of the 362 and the 038 and get a saw just one step up. Is the difference between an 038 and something like a 461 that noticeable?

I don't want to start a *s-word storm here but, are there 1 or 2 general consensus 70 cc class saws that are light and regarded as the better ones to buy? I hear lots of good about the MS 461/462.

Oh, BTW, I live in Canada so everything here is more expensive. As well, for me to sell a saw and ship to the states is likely cost prohibitive, correct?

Last question for now, are there any good saw builders/experts on this forum from Canada?
Shipping from Canada to the US isn’t bad, shipping from US to Canada is more expensive for some reason.

461/462 are both fine choices. Buy either of them with confidence.

@Canadian farm boy is one of the best builders here.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Light and powerful is the ms 462 not much heavier than the 362 but lots more power
Yes, and that also goes back to the 046 Magnum. I restored one and then lent it out to a guy two years ago. I called him yesterday for a return and now he wants to buy it. I may never see it again.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What are you cutting,, didnt think Alberta had big trees??
Just wheat and oil,,,

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Any current 70cc saws are good saws with parts readily available
You just have to choose auto tronic or
Carbed.

Alberta Farmboy

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are you cutting,, didnt think Alberta had big trees??
Just wheat and oil,,,
We don't have much for big trees but there are some around, particularly where I elk hunt. I should have prefaced that by saying they are big by our standards, 30" - 40", they certainly are not redwoods. I'm mostly a firewood guy anyway.
Honestly, I could probably get by with my MS 260 but I got a pretty good deal on the 362. Then when I went to pick up the 362, I got a good deal on the 038 and he basically threw in the 288 and the Makita.
Anyway, is the 461 that much of an upgrade over the 038? Only 5 cc's difference.
And any new saw i get will likely be an autotune, I can't accurately tune a saw by ear.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't have much for big trees but there are some around, particularly where I elk hunt. I should have prefaced that by saying they are big by our standards, 30" - 40", they certainly are not redwoods. I'm mostly a firewood guy anyway.
Honestly, I could probably get by with my MS 260 but I got a pretty good deal on the 362. Then when I went to pick up the 362, I got a good deal on the 038 and he basically threw in the 288 and the Makita.
Anyway, is the 461 that much of an upgrade over the 038? Only 5 cc's difference.
And any new saw i get will likely be an autotune, I can't accurately tune a saw by ear.

You can certainly LEARN to tune a saw by ear unless you have irreversible hearing damage.
The video of my 038 is just a stock saw so you can watch other videos for comparison.
The 288 is a reputable saw and I'd suggest cutting with the ones you do have and not guessing about the ones you don't.
As time and funds allow buy more saws...simple.

Alberta Farmboy

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can certainly LEARN to tune a saw by ear unless you have irreversible hearing damage.
The video of my 038 is just a stock saw so you can watch other videos for comparison.
The 288 is a reputable saw and I'd suggest cutting with the ones you do have and not guessing about the ones you don't.
As time and funds allow buy more saws...simple.

Yes, I totally agree about cutting with the ones I have...the 288 would just be a project and certainly something I won't need any time soon.
Shouldn't a guy have a tach to properly tune a carb? I don't know, just asking.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I totally agree about cutting with the ones I have...the 288 would just be a project and certainly something I won't need any time soon.
Shouldn't a guy have a tach to properly tune a carb? I don't know, just asking.
Need to be able to recognize when a saw needs a tuning adjustment. Until you learn how that sounds a tach won’t do you much good imo.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That's like comparing a club to a laser beam. You get to actually cutting with different ones you'll learn right quick.
It's easy enough to learn how to tune a saw proper, just have to want to learn to do so is all. At least then you can recognize trouble coming in your auto tune saw before it manifests itself.(such as an air leak for examples sake)

Alberta Farmboy

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's like comparing a club to a laser beam.

Hahaha, that's funny! Yeah, I guess having more exposure to different saws would show the differences pretty quickly.
I wouldn't have guessed that 5 cc's would make that big of a difference. Although, those saws are probably 20 years apart in design and technology so it would make sense that it's not just a comparison of cc's.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hahaha, that's funny! Yeah, I guess having more exposure to different saws would show the differences pretty quickly.
I wouldn't have guessed that 5 cc's would make that big of a difference. Although, those saws are probably 20 years apart in design and technology so it would make sense that it's not just a comparison of cc's.
Being an AVS, your 038 should be a Super, which would make it 67cc, vs 76cc on the 461. Plus the 20 years of design tech

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Them 38’s ain’t the quickest, but they really do seem to last forever. Buddy of mine bought an 038M new when the 044 was a new model, I think he told me it was in ‘89 but don’t quote me on that. He hasn’t even turned a carb adjustment screw on it, and he used for stumping commercially for all these years. He is a landscaper, so he only does a few dozen trees a year.

I’m gonna say to keep the 038. You can find a used Magnum p&c one day and we can walk you through the install. They are overbuilt, kinda heavy and a bit slow. But it should be there for you for many many years.

Keep your 026, keep the 038, keep and fix the 288.