661's and their wiring issues....

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello fellas, my logging buddy Clare has gotten his 661 back from the dealer.

His dealer told him the wiring harness was the issue as to why the saw wouldn't run.

They took the harness out, it looks fine. Like new. No breaks in the wiring sheath.

But the wire itself is broke inside the sheath.

The diagnostic computer said fault in the wiring.

New harness installed, saw runs nice again.

I sure hope Stihl is not slipping on their quality because this is looking like it.

That saw has had so many trips to the dealer for repairs. Almost $1,000 spent on it.

Then it was sent to Stihl tech in London, Ontario as they couldn't fix it. Meanwhile the diagnostic comuputer said wiring fault.

Stihl tech gets the saw and what did they do?

This is a Mastermind 661 saw.

The *#€!#}£ idiots stripped the saw and mailed it back in pieces.

They called the dealer, gave them chit for sending a modified saw and told them that's the problem.

Clare was furious....

Never again will we ever speak of Stihl tech or send anything to them because they don't how to properly fix a saw modified or not.

Clare had the dealer put the stock cylinder back on to prove that Stihl tech don't know what they're talking about.

Saw still didn't run right.

Dealer then did what the computer told them in the first place, replaced the harness. Now it runs.

Just tonight, I reinstalled the jug that the monkey lifted it's skirt and stuffed the bananas up it's ass.

It's not a 661 anymore, it's a mean machine once again...

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
1:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good to hear your buddy FINALLY has a new 661 that runs the way it should have from the beginning. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issues they were having with the bars?

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah the whole "computer controlled on a chainsaw" makes me nervous

More wiring, electronics, sensors, all things that break and fail in harsh environments

The wiring is probably made with cheap cable made in China to cut costs and raise sales margin and cheap is usually cheap due to lower standards and quality control.

I will stick with old saws and my little screw driver thanks :)

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with all that I'm no fan of computerized stuff.

Sure they can work good, but I doubt would have anywhere near the same reliability of older saws like the brute of a 660/066.

I find the quality of the 660 is still better other than the anti-vibe system of the 661.

Both 661's we have the 661 orange plastic decal on the recoil have fallen off.

One 661 has gotten loose in the anti-vibe spring system.

I liked when we buy a new 660, just pull the rope, go and cut.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mtronic is nothing to be scared of... Lol

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I very good friend and neighbor of mine has been a warranty tech for stihl for 35 years,that said he is NOT a saw mechanic,he is a parts changer.
They replace parts until it's fixed,he is up to his ears in 661's but most are lean seized. The 661 is hurting them badly in my region because the few that have been took to the woods have problems so nobody will give up there 660's.

Agent Orange

Stihl trying
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I very good friend and neighbor of mine has been a warranty tech for stihl for 35 years,that said he is NOT a saw mechanic,he is a parts changer.
They replace parts until it's fixed,he is up to his ears in 661's but most are lean seized. The 661 is hurting them badly in my region because the few that have been took to the woods have problems so nobody will give up there 660's.
Anything on the 362C? I've got one and all the bad talk about the Mtronic freaks me out.

Agent Orange

Stihl trying
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For every horror story you hear on the internet theres thousands killin wood everday..dont worry.
Thanks. I know things here on the forums are under a microscope. That's part of why I'm here though.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know,he mainly works on 661's.
He said they are seizing at an alarming rate. He is world wide though so he will see lots more saws than most.

The word is that it is hurting them and they have to figure something out.

We are gonna feed in a minute and I'll ask what there plan is but he usually can't say much.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There lots of good ones but like I said stihl isn't just the town is live in there world wide,if my dealor hs problems with 4 or 5 saws can you imagine how many the world has.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worldwide? Does he get all the ones dealers can't fix?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not all of them,there's lots of people that does what he does.
He gets all of them from his area how ever big that may be.

He mostly gets 661's but if it's a stihl and the dealor can't fix it he will get it.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I know things here on the forums are under a microscope. That's part of why I'm here though.

Some of the PNW guys demoed the mtronic saws and ran them with long bars in ugly conditions and their reviews were favorable...theres lemons of every model.

I know service guys who hate MT/AT saws..and guys who love them , i have 4 mtronic saws now..not a single issue with them....my 241 gets run HARD and very frequently..its been perfect.