Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, since I couldn't make it better I figured I'd make it worse. Stuff like that contributes nothing but bad vibes, right? But let the other side turn their cheeks and be good sports for a while. And if we're going to critque new models, let's put 'em both on the firing line. Wouldn't be fair not to include the new stihl would it? Don't want to be accused of being unfair.

Cut none of them any slack. If it's good....say so. If it's crap, it's crap. I can't see sugar coating anything because it might hurt someone's feelings.

I'm just excited to see new and different stuff for a change. Hopefully both manufacturers get any issues squared away and make lots of money. Then they can build more cool stuff.

I wanna see that new 550.....

When is it coming?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like paying attention to all the new stuff, does not matter if it is my favorite brand or not, and I don't have thin skin, so I want to hear about any and all legitimate problems.

I have family members and good friends who run different brand saws and drive different brand cars than I do, and they are still my good friends and family members. The world would be boring w/o competition, and stuff for us to debate (endlessly)!

IMO, the new saws are creating some good excitement, and generating some additional sales, so everyone s/b happy!

Hey, people I know will often ask me about a non Stihl saw, and I don't want to be igerment!!!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob I am not shocked, seems to confirm what the guys in Europe have been saying about the durability of the 462. Booth saws will have growing pains but the kind of $ they are asking I just hope booth companies stand behind there product and take care of.any issues. If I PD over $1200.00 for a 462 or $860.00 for a 572 (I am including tax on booth) those are local prices for me, I would expect good customer service.

Could be that they over shot the target on making it light, and have compromised durability in the process. if so there will be a price to pay. Like their first 362, and of course the early 562XP's wern't exactly ready for prime time either. Gonna be a roller coaster ride for them, and it's not fun.

Customer service is important. But there are times when a product has design issues for which there is no easy or obvious solution. There is nothing more frustrating than being unable to solve the customer's problem. On my own side if the fence, that is why we stopped selling the T540's. All 3 of us have dug into them, tech service really doesn't have an answer. Try this, try that. Customers come back saying "It's doing the same thing". Yeah, well it's discontinued in my store.

Last edited:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry but I have never ran a 372xt. That said the 572 felt more like a 576 from my power standpoint, Freer/faster revving though. Think big torquey 562.

Ran a couple of XT's today. Two different recipes; one gutted, one with all strato stuff intact. And both real strong runners. No wisjhing they were OE models; they were tearing it up.

Bullets

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do they have a standard carb 572?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When is the 550M2 coming, or when do they SAY it's coming? Ship date on my orders in the system are showing 03-20-19. Just a couple weeks. But we now how the date thing works. They are supposedly in the country, so they may ship sooner than that. Also anxious for the T525 to show up. (see my T540 comments above).

550 is like a mini 572. Got all of what they refer to as "enhancements". They've learned a lot from the first generation of these saws. 562's came out 8 years ago already, if you can believe it. Heck it's almost an "old saw" now. Think about it; many saws have a 20 year model run, and that's almost halfway there. At some point, maybe end of the year, the 555/562 chassis gets the same treatment, and that should be significant. Air filter sealing alone is a huge improvement. That is a weakness that should not have made it to a production saw in this day and age. Lot of the older Jonnys that used a single screw to hold both the filter and filter cover sealed about that good.

Heat control is another. 572's are starting on 1 pull all day long. We'll hold the champaigne until warm weather hits, but last summer I consistantly saw carb temps 30-40 degrees lower than 562's on hot days. Once in a while it took 2 pulls. :)

This 3rd generation AT that does 10 times as much or 10 times as fast? Don't really know how that translates into the running experience yet. Not clear enough on what's going on there to say too much. Saw sure doesn't break in any faster. Lent a 565 demo to a logger to run 10+ tanks through it and it came back a different saw. (and with a bent bar) Even sounds different. I guess the stihls are doing the same thing, but what is the tecnological explanation for the longer break in times? The metal, the rings, the coating? And the improvement is dramatic. They don't just get a little better, they get a LOT better, and I'm talking both brands now.