550xp or ms241?

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rain day so I'm going through the saws, here are the 2 filled with oil and gas and no bars... I love them both but I have to wonder if husqvarna would have actually made a 40cc 5 series saw... What a saw it would have been. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just a Wondering…..Do you use them for different jobs or just have both because they appeal to you?

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We'll both, I probably use the 241 more, a lot out of the bucket truck. The 55dl stihl bar I run on the 241 is short for a 16, I run a 72dl .325 on the 550 so it's a bit longer. The 241 with 55dl is perfect as well as the 550 with 72dl .325

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We'll both, I probably use the 241 more, a lot out of the bucket truck. The 55dl stihl bar I run on the 241 is short for a 16, I run a 72dl .325 on the 550 so it's a bit longer. The 241 with 55dl is perfect as well as the 550 with 72dl .325
The 241 is a short zippy little saw so i believe …sounds ideal for tops and branch work out of the bucket truck if your not using a Top handled saw. Odd isn't it how Husqvarna effectively dumped the 40 cc pro class…the 550 is light, small and nimble so i guess they saved money on R&D not doing a 40 cc.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The 241 is a short zippy little saw so i believe …sounds ideal for tops and branch work out of the bucket truck if your not using a Top handled saw. Odd isn't it how Husqvarna effectively dumped the 40 cc pro class…the 550 is light, small and nimble so i guess they saved money on R&D not doing a 40 cc.

They left it to Zenoah - which imo was a mistake, but also a sign of low priority.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They left it to Zenoah - which imo was a mistake, but also a sign of low priority.
You speak of the 543 I guess ? What might have been if they had developed a stand alone 40cc class saw.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would consider the 543XP if I could get it with replaceable sprocket drum that had a 7 pin 3/8 LP sprocket! Use it with PS.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You speak of the 543 I guess ? What might have been if they had developed a stand alone 40cc class saw.

Yes.

I still remember the disappointment when the first pictures leaked out years ago, and it became clear that it wouldn't be a scaled-down 550, but rather a Zenoah design.....

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes.

I still remember the disappointment when the first pictures leaked out years ago, and it became clear that it wouldn't be a scaled-down 550, but rather a Zenoah design.....
I suppose its the trouble designing and launching product in a recession time…and with all the companies under the Electrolux Umbrella they have to earn there keep or "GO". Im only making assumptions here mind you ..I could be way off.
542 xp…the saw that never was …SO far ! :D

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I suppose its the trouble designing and launching product in a recession time…and with all the companies under the Electrolux Umbrella they have to earn there keep or "GO". Im only making assumptions here mind you ..I could be way off.
542 xp…the saw that never was …SO far ! :D

The Husky OPE Group hasn't been a part of Electrolux since 2006 or so - but the economic considerations likely isn't much different anyway.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Husky OPE Group hasn't been a part of Electrolux since 2006 or so - but the economic considerations likely isn't much different anyway.
Husqvarna not part of Electrolux ... this I did not know . So how are things now if you don't mind explaining ?

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Husqvarna not part of Electrolux ... this I did not know . So how are things now if you don't mind explaining ?

I don't really know how it actually works, as I don't know who are the shareholders of the Husqvarna OPE Group are at this point, after it was cut loose from Electrolux almost 10 years ago. For all I know Elux may own a lot of the sharers, or the shareholders may still be mainly the same as the Elux shareholders?

Originally the Husky OPE Group took over all the OPE brands and factories formerly owned by Elux. They have later bought more, including Zenoah and (sadly) the world rights to the McCulloch brand name.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't really know how it actually works, as I don't know who are the shareholders of the Husqvarna OPE Group are at this point, after it was cut loose from Electrolux almost 10 years ago. For all I know Elux may own a lot of the sharers, or the shareholders may still be mainly the same as the Elux shareholders?

Originally the Husky OPE Group took over all the OPE brands and factories formerly owned by Elux. They have later bought more, including Zenoah and (sadly) the world rights to the McCulloch brand name.
That sounds typically "Corporate Complicated" !! I have had one of the "NEW " breed of McCulloch saws land on my bench to sort out . Il just say that i much prefer to work on saws from other manufacturers. :D

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That sounds typically "Corporate Complicated" !! I have had one of the "NEW " breed of McCulloch saws land on my bench to sort out . Il just say that i much prefer to work on saws from other manufacturers. :D

Something like that!

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky hasnt thought much about saws under 50cc for a long time now, and I dont think they will change either, it's really a shame.
While they did not wanted to develop their own 543 from the bottom I think they did a huge mistake by label it XP, it aint what we expect from an XP machine.
Shouldnt be so difficult for them to make a mini 550 if they wanted to.
Another thing I really dont understand with Husky is why they simply can't make a 539, based on the 540 but with rear handle, but no, what we get is 439.
No wonder why all the lads around where I live use lightweight Stihl's.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Husky hasnt thought much about saws under 50cc for a long time now, and I dont think they will change either, it's really a shame.
While they did not wanted to develop their own 543 from the bottom I think they did a huge mistake by label it XP, it aint what we expect from an XP machine.
Shouldnt be so difficult for them to make a mini 550 if they wanted to.
Another thing I really dont understand with Husky is why they simply can't make a 539, based on the 540 but with rear handle, but no, what we get is 439.
No wonder why all the lads around where I live use lightweight Stihl's.
Considering how many saws get sold in the European sector that tend to be 50cc or Bellow !! I think they are missing a trick . mk 1 346…45cc wonderful saw and now a classic. With the new cylinders and materials a 40-45cc ,lite,compact,high HP,high revving for a 13-15 in bar …Well I would want one !

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Considering how many saws get sold in the European sector that tend to be 50cc or Bellow !! I think they are missing a trick . mk 1 346…45cc wonderful saw and now a classic. With the new cylinders and materials a 40-45cc ,lite,compact,high HP,high revving for a 13-15 in bar …Well I would want one !
they probleby didnt put effort into their own 42cc due 550 is light and easy to handle, it's probleby smart choice if we speak economy. They did sell quite a bit 42,42 spec,242,246 so the marked is there, but in those years the next pro saw was 254, quite a bit different in weight/size difference between 242 and 254.

All this changed with 346, and I think Husky realized there was no need for an 42cc as long they could build slim 50cc machines. Still I love the balance and handling to 242 and I would gladly bought an mini 550 ;)

The most weird with Husky is that they had 338/339 as pro lightweight saws, they came with 540, but building 539 seems impossible for them, wouldnt cost them much effort at all to make it happen.