Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Follow Up

Thank you all for your input.

I watched and read a number of Internet postings. Talked to some people. And spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a technical rep from TruFuel (they also make some other brands).
He said that, in general:

- these products do NOT absorb water, as they contain no ethanol;

- they do NOT break down as quickly as automotive gas, as they don’t contain the same additives;

- but, they CAN (no pun intended) lose some of their lighter, more volatile components, if the caps are left off, or loosely sealed.

This would explain why the cold saws would not start on some older fuel, but would run on it when warm (I don’t know the history of each can we have).

The 2-year ‘open shelf life’ is based on a can that is tightly closed after each use. Towards the end of this year, the cans will start coming with a tamper-evident ‘quality seal’, so you will know it is fresh.

Philbert

Last edited:

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- but, they CAN (no pun intended) lose some of their lighter, more volatile components, if the caps are left off, or loosely sealed.

This would explain why the cold saws would not start on some older fuel, but would run on it when warm (I don’t know the history of each can we have).
The 2-year ‘open shelf life’ is based on a can that is tightly closed after each use. Towards the end of this year, the cans will start coming with a tamper-evident ‘quality seal’, so you will know it is fresh.

Philbert
Maybe I'm too untrusting, but that sounds like a great side-step for avoiding any liabilities with a product.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a non-ported MS 261-C. It was beyond picky using my own mix with ethanol free. yet I switched to Trufuel and Bingo!
Went from 10-12 pulls to start and now to 2-4.
Yet, I read here that Echo canned fuel & STIHL MotoMix are better??:confundio1:🥳

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had a problem with TruFuel until what I mentioned in first post. Used it for years in saws with volunteer groups.

Have not personally compared it to other brands of canned fuel. Willing to give it another chance, based on tech reps’ comments.

(Maybe the fuel sat too long and got COVID?)

Philbert

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a non-ported MS 261-C. It was beyond picky using my own mix with ethanol free. yet I switched to Trufuel and Bingo!
Went from 10-12 pulls to start and now to 2-4.
Yet, I read here that Echo canned fuel & STIHL MotoMix are better??:confundio1:🥳

That's not okay, something is wrong with it. The 261 I just put in layaway fired right up on two pulls after sitting on the shelf for months with ancient unknown mix from the previous owner in it.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's not okay, something is wrong with it. The 261 I just put in layaway fired right up on two pulls after sitting on the shelf for months with ancient unknown mix from the previous owner in it.
Hmm...I'll check into it. Although I'm not weeping over it. Especially with my usage @ an all-time low of 2-3 times a yr... :icon_cafe:
Might need a "Saw Revival" of sorts...I aint quite been the same since I lost my old woodcutting bud & friend of 42 yrs Bro Thomas.:hmmm:🥺

Me & that cat went through some serious life trenches and mountains.

My family & health dynamics have also changed. BUT...not making excuses fer a dysfunctional saw either!!:thumbup:
BTW...what is the verdict on the best Canned fuel mix...what say ye??

Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used quite a bit SEF94 in the past with no issues. Currently using Sonoco Optima & Dominator when I'm too lazy to find non-E.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, I run Tru Fuel 50:1 in my Stihl FS111RX and HT101 that I leave at my Cabin, zero issues with it. It has been lean tested and performs very very similar to Red Armor. Red Armor is a heavier viscosity much like Motul 2T800, which is why it probably tunes poorly in a M-torn or Auto tune saw. I run Dominator in everything that is here at the house, the only reason I run caned fuel at my cabin is because of the shelf life.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something strange. I use ethanol It’s never bothered anything I use. If something sits for very long I dump it out. Refill

Once in a while takes a few extra pulls but I’ve been doing this for years. I’ve got more saws around then I can use.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ethanol runs, but reportedly eats components, like plastic, aluminum, etc.

Something that all major saw companies have been emphasizing for many years.

Every saw mechanic I speak with nods their head in agreement.

Philbert

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard good things about Tru Fuel over the years, but that video was eye opening. It was a simple no nonsense approach showing how off the shelf canned fuel (tru fuel) performed against E10 pump gas. I've recommended VP for those that want to or should run canned fuel. Nothing scientific but I feel VP has a strong commitment to the quality of their fuel.
And sealed tamper caps. Trufuel has there pants down. Alot perple buy and refill with whatever e85 or who knows what else then return it. Ya gotta have a tamper evident lid or seal. I know guys that bout from home depot and lows one gut had è85 and other guy had gas water mix no oil in either 50:1 premix jugs. I fixed both guys messed up equipment. I know for sure it was not real trufuel in the jugs or fuel tanks.