STIHL MS261C chainsaw and TruFuel

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody have trouble running TruFuel in these?

Had one that would not start. Tried the ‘usual’ methods. Then, due to a remark from a dealer, I dumped out the ’pink’ , 50:1 TruFuel, and filled it with STIHL 50:1 MotoMix.

Started right up.

We’ve used TruFuel ($20/gallon)for years. And, after the saw was warmed up, it ran fine on TruFuel.

Something with auto tune, that it prefers MotoMix ($30/gallon)?

I still mix ethanol-free pump gas on personal saws ($5/gallon).

Philbert

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s a problem with the smaller MT models and fuel viscosity. The bigger models have a bigger jet and less restriction from fuel.

I had a bunch of wonky stuff happen with a ported 261C-M and Efree fuel with Motul 800 at 28-32:1. The oil is one of the most viscous oils around, and the fuel mix wouldn’t flow through the tiny jet in the carb nozzle. The solenoid couldn’t richen it enough.

I used cold mix, around 35*F, in a 65* saw at the time. Switching to Amsoil Sabr at 40:1 changed everything. I’m unclear whether or not you are using the 40:1 mix of trufuel, or just mixing it yourself with 2T oil.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
There’s a problem with the smaller MT models and fuel viscosity. The bigger models have a bigger jet and less restriction from fuel.

I had a bunch of wonky stuff happen with a ported 261C-M and Efree fuel with Motul 800 at 28-32:1. The oil is one of the most viscous oils around, and the fuel mix wouldn’t flow through the tiny jet in the carb nozzle. The solenoid couldn’t richen it enough.

I used cold mix, around 35*F, in a 65* saw at the time. Switching to Amsoil Sabr at 40:1 changed everything. I’m unclear whether or not you are using the 40:1 mix of trufuel, or just mixing it yourself with 2T oil.

We had to drill out the jet on the ms261 @Stump Shot ported for me. I run Dominator at 32ish to 1. It was running lean and the Mtron couldn’t compensate. I think the jet went from somewhere in the neighborhood of a RCH to BCH after the drilling.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just curious, what version of Motul was it running on , the Roadrace version and Off-road version are different the roadrace version is much more viscous, than the Off-road version, I run the off-road version , mixes well ,

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't get TruFuel here, but the "Chickanic" has some YT vids suggesting it's quality can be variable. (Not a fan boy, just think it's worth investigating).
I've heard good things about Tru Fuel over the years, but that video was eye opening. It was a simple no nonsense approach showing how off the shelf canned fuel (tru fuel) performed against E10 pump gas. I've recommended VP for those that want to or should run canned fuel. Nothing scientific but I feel VP has a strong commitment to the quality of their fuel.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't get TruFuel here, but the "Chickanic" has some YT vids suggesting it's quality can be variable. (Not a fan boy, just think it's worth investigating).
Links to videos?

Thanks!

Philbert

SCHallenger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an early (2011) 261 with the standard carb. It is ported a la Brad Snelling (stratos gutted, bottom ring removed, etc.) which is being run on VP mixed with Motul 710@40:1. I've never had any issues with this combination.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard good things about Tru Fuel over the years, but that video was eye opening. It was a simple no nonsense approach showing how off the shelf canned fuel (tru fuel) performed against E10 pump gas. I've recommended VP for those that want to or should run canned fuel. Nothing scientific but I feel VP has a strong commitment to the quality of their fuel.
There s a Youtube video where they test 6 or 8 different canned fuels. Moto Mix was the cleanest burning with VP in second place. Trufuel came in last. I myself have been using VP and Sunoco for years with no problems.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There s a Youtube video where they test 6 or 8 different canned fuels. Moto Mix was the cleanest burning with VP in second place. Trufuel came in last. I myself have been using VP and Sunoco for years with no problems.
👍👍👍

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpeg
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 5

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody have trouble running TruFuel in these?

Had one that would not start. Tried the ‘usual’ methods. Then, due to a remark from a dealer, I dumped out the ’pink’ , 50:1 TruFuel, and filled it with STIHL 50:1 MotoMix.

Started right up.

We’ve used TruFuel ($20/gallon)for years. And, after the saw was warmed up, it ran fine on TruFuel.

Something with auto tune, that it prefers MotoMix ($30/gallon)?

I still mix ethanol-free pump gas on personal saws ($5/gallon).

Philbert
I took a newish piece of echo equipment, trimmer, to the dealer because it wasn’t running right. He poured out my gas and poured in the echo canned gas; the darned thing ran perfect. I don’t remember what oil i was running at the time, but I always use premium oil, like Belray, Schaffer’s, opti-2. I am using Dominator right now and the echo yard tools run better than they did on Schaffer’s!

I have used tru fuel in my saws without trouble. Just not very much and none of mine are Mtronic or auto tune

Dennisthemenace

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm interested in the very common mention of these pre mixed fuels by blokes in North America.
I've never seen it here (rural Australia) and my local Stihl and Husqvarna dealers don't stock it. Perhaps it's available for homeowner types in the cities who only use a litre or 2 per year but I don't frequent those places.
Or is it unnecessary here due to less severe temperature ranges or better quality fuel?

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
8:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost everything from both Stihl and Husqvarna is ran on Aspen here. No problems. Idk if the "canned" fuels are alkylate tho

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious, what version of Motul was it running on , the Roadrace version and Off-road version are different the roadrace version is much more viscous, than the Off-road version, I run the off-road version , mixes well ,
Not sure. I finished it up. Was great oil. IIRC, had a guy on a dirt bike on the front.

The oil made engines look like they were never ran when they were eventually disassembled. Pretty amazing stuff. I heard it was bad for milling because the heat eventually did burn it into a hard black substance that was nearly impossible to remove from an engine.

Mine was red in color, if that helps. I only stopped using it when I had the 261 problems.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s my old thread if you have the time.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s my old thread if you have the time.

I recently ported a new ms362 that is acting up. The saw exhibits symptoms of getting hot and going lean. As soon as the saw cools down a bit its fine. Based on your findings with the 261, I'm gonna try pulling some timing advance out and see if it fixes the problem.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just can't bring myself to trust canned fuel. For that matter, I try to avoid even using fuel mixed by someone else. Around here it doesn't sell terribly well and so stays on the shelf for months. I've worn out exactly one piston and cylinder in my life, and it was a homeowner machine with a commercial number of hours on it so I must be doing something right!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I trust most, name brand, canned fuels. It’s the $20 -$30 / gallon price that gets me!

I run ethanol-free auto gas, mixed by me, I my own saws.

Some volunteer groups I work with like the canned fuel, to avoid mixing mix-ups, and due to long shelf life.

If it avoids starting problems, and straight-gassing or lean seizures, it is felt to be a good value.

But, if I can’t start the saw on TruFuel (issue at start of this thread),that’s a problem!

Philbert