HUSQVARNA 550XP Mark 1 dying in the cut

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked this saw up from a member here. Got the bar and chain mounted today, filled it up with 93 octane 40:1 same as I run in all my saws. Saw dies in the cut. I’ve got about 3 tanks through it now thinking the autotune just needed to adjust but it continues to do it. Swapped the fuel filter for a new one and thought that fixed it but went right back to it. Hot or cold doesn’t seem to matter. Any ideas? This is really frustrating, because I really like the weight and balance but if I can’t get the bastard to run right I’m better of with my wore out ms250 for limbing.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure sounds like a carburetor problem, but I lived with 2 550xps for 2 years and only a dealer with software can resolve that.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also want to add. I have changed the fuel filter, tried repositioning the line in the tank thinking it might be getting out of the fuel. Also popped the tank vent, that didn’t fix it.

It sure sounds like a carburetor problem, but I lived with 2 550xps for 2 years and only a dealer with software can resolve that.

Great. That’s what I was thinking is something in that damn auto tune system. I really have no desire to screw with a dealer hooking this thing up, I’ve sent a message to the seller now about doing a return of some type.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could pop the covers off the carb and see if the screen inside is plugged. Seems like it’s borderline starving for fuel the whole time

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you buy this saw under the impression it was good to go with no problems? If so I'd be talking to the seller

I did and I have already started talking to the seller. First messaged this morning and asked if it had given any issues. He said it was all good when it left and suggested it might be autotune trying to catch up with the pretty drastic condition and elevation changes. I agreed and have since ran 2.5 tanks through it. Most frustrating two tanks of my life lol. It cuts ok then will just inexplicably die and be a bastard to restart. I have confidence the seller will take care of it, I mainly posted this to make sure I’m not missing something simple, but I’m following the start procedures to the letter and checked the easy stuff I can think of

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could pop the covers off the carb and see if the screen inside is plugged. Seems like it’s borderline starving for fuel the whole time

What are the chances of *f-wording up an autotune? I’ve stripped and rebuilt carbs but never an electronic one. I’d hate to risk damaging something and end up not being able to return it because I gorilla fisted something

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the chances of *frenching up an autotune? I’ve stripped and rebuilt carbs but never an electronic one. I’d hate to risk damaging something and end up not being able to return it because I gorilla fisted something
Just picture a couple wires and a solenoid instead of tuning screws. They’re much the same inside

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a like new 545xp mkII with a muffler mod if ever you are looking for a different saw. Then we could drive half way and save on shipping or not.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 sure sounds like fuel delivery to me.
When you get the carb off check the pump side as well for debris or fines

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just picture a couple wires and a solenoid instead of tuning screws. They’re much the same inside
Doesn't that carb have an adjusting screw under small brass plug, that can sometimes resolve that issue?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried a different spark plugs? Muffler screen clear, prime bulb have fuel in it when it stalls? Anyone have carb out and did not reconnect rod correctly?

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried a different spark plugs? Muffler screen clear, prime bulb have fuel in it when it stalls? Anyone have carb out and not reconnect rod correctly?
Those strato attachment screws do come loose. Could be something to it

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry gents, I forgot to up date. Saw has bee returned to the seller. I’ll update with what the problem was if he lets me know

Superwd6

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry gents, I forgot to up date. Saw has bee returned to the seller. I’ll update with what the problem was if he lets me know

My 550xpg done the same thing. It acted like fueling issue as when it quit you’d have to choke it to start again. Took to the dealer quite embarrassed and he put ignition coil on it under warranty to fix. Carburator power seems to come from ignition coil unlike my 576xpg autotune. Idle bog was fixed from inlet metering lever being to high and flooding. not the mystery screw[emoji849][emoji16]. Saw now idles for 5 minutes and revs out with no hesitation [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk