Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so I bought a ECHO CS-310,
from a dealer, not home depot.

When you get a brand new saw, what is your preferred engine break in procedure?
What are things you would not do?

Do you run a richer than 50:1 mix for the first tank?

kid ran the saw before I took it home, watched him to do it, it did get to full throttle but didn't sound right but I didn't say anything...
tried to cut with it the next day had zero power would not cut,
watched youtube, removed the carb needle restricters with a drywall screw, opened the high speed another 1/2 turn and got what sounds like power and expected run up to full throttle. Haven't cut anything with it yet. But the manner in which "we run the saw before we give it to you to take home" I did not like.

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just run it with the fuel you intend to use and let it rip. No stock saw breaks from this.

Stores just make sure it starts. It should be tuned from Stihl/Husqvarna.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would run a slightly richer mix but I do anyway.

Yeah, the kid at the store doesn't know anything other than what his manager tells him and the manager doesn't know anything
other than what he or she gets from the store. The carb adjustment screws come pinned from the factory and store personnel
are told they can't mess with them.

It sounds like you were able to find a good fix and that's what counts as it is your machine. Make sure the tune is good and seems
to have good power in the cut. Once you get through that, hammer down with a sharp chain and clean filters.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so I bought a ECHO CS-310,
from a dealer, not home depot.

When you get a brand new saw, what is your preferred engine break in procedure?
What are things you would not do?

Do you run a richer than 50:1 mix for the first tank?

kid ran the saw before I took it home, watched him to do it, it did get to full throttle but didn't sound right but I didn't say anything...
tried to cut with it the next day had zero power would not cut,
watched youtube, removed the carb needle restricters with a drywall screw, opened the high speed another 1/2 turn and got what sounds like power and expected run up to full throttle. Haven't cut anything with it yet. But the manner in which "we run the saw before we give it to you to take home" I did not like.
It will take a few tanks of fuel for the rings to seat. It will be a little down on power until it gets broken in. I run 40:1 in everything. I don't baby a new saw. I run it just like I would any saw. Watch a couple videos about carb tuning if you're not that comfortable with it, before you turn that h screw too much. Enjoy your new little saw.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, 40:1 in everything for me, too, except for 50:1 in my Stihl brush cutter and 32:1 for the first gallon in Holzfforma saws. Then 40:1 as well.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before sending a New Saw Off For Porting. Should I Brake it In, Or Would Porters Prefer A Nice Clean Engine To Work On ???

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just run it with the fuel you intend to use and let it rip. No stock saw breaks from this.

Stores just make sure it starts. It should be tuned from Stihl/Husqvarna.
OP bought an Echo bud.