461 starting problems

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes brand new. my starting procedure, 1) push in decomp, 2) put in full choke, 3) pull cord 2x(it will pop) 4) move to half choke and it floods
Ok sounds good, and only when cold. Once hot is it staring poorly too? Just to be clear you don’t use the choke once hot. Are you using the decomp only on choke, or every time you pull it over? Dose it still have the limiter caps, and how many turns out is each screw set at?

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it has limiter caps
guess i will be yanking them out
Ok sounds good, and only when cold. Once hot is it staring poorly too? Just to be clear you don’t use the choke once hot. Are you using the decomp only on choke, or every time you pull it over? Dose it still have the limiter caps, and how many turns out is each screw set at?
yes still has limiter caps, no i dont use choke once hot. and use decomp every time. and she will start once sh is warmed up

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try only using the decomp on the choke an not using it for the high idle start, like Jim said try leaning it out an 1/8 turn at a time. I have had several saws, many 660’s that wouldn’t start with the decomp on high idle, if I left the decomp closed they would start right up

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After it pops on choke, are you touching the trigger? Or only sliding the lever up to high idle?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes brand new. my starting procedure, 1) push in decomp, 2) put in full choke, 3) pull cord 2x(it will pop) 4) move to half choke and it floods

Pull the plug out & let it dry.

When it’s dry, after you make sure the tank is full of mix, leave the decomp alone & start the Saw.

All the way down with the selector on choke.

Pull it till it pops.

Flip up 1 position & pull it.

My 461s are the least pulling required saws I have, providing I do my part.

I’ve had one sit for 3 months & start on the 1st Pull.

Leave the Texas Button for the Texans.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's a decomp????? LOL

Sissy button
Haha! Call me a sissy on my 125!!! Drop starting that a have it stop and shake a 50” bar with using the decomp is sissy button worthy! My base gasket delete 461 pops the decomp every pull and will stop on a drop start even with the decomp, every once in s while!! Lol