AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my tachs should be here soon. that saw should idle @ 2800 i think, have to double check

OP: the idle rpm range can be quite wide. You want it to get immediately off of idle without hesitation more so than an ideal rpm on the tach. It should accelerate to full WOT as soon as you hit the go button.

Remember to set the L neutral until you are sure your idle screw is right. Advance it in until the chain starts rotating without operator input. Then back it off a bit. Set your L after that.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF Keith.
I am not really an elastostart fan.
I found the D handle to be the easiest to pull.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OP: the idle rpm range can be quite wide. You want it to get immediately off of idle without hesitation more so than an ideal rpm on the tach. It should accelerate to full WOT as soon as you hit the go button.

Remember to set the L neutral until you are sure your idle screw is right. Advance it in until the chain starts rotating without operator input. Then back it off a bit. Set your L after that.
If the idle is uneven after long cuts you know you set the L too lean as well. Richen 1/8 turn if so. Too lean on L affects overall fuel delivery (most L circuits feed into H from what I know) and power. I set all my saws around 2800/3k idle speed.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1): A 461 comes with Carb Limiters, the richest the dealer can set the Hi is 3/4 turn out. This is not rich enough for a Max Flow and DP Muff Cover. You must pull the limiters on the carb if you are going to run it this way, or you will burn the saw up. For your set up, I would start by setting the Lo at 1 full turn out, and the Hi at 1 + 1/8 turn out. Then as the saw warms up, tune idle and Hi by ear. At WOT, the saw should break up or the Hi is not rich enough. If it does not clean up in the cut, it is too rich.

2) Pull the Filter cover and the filter. Make sure your control lever is operating properly. All the way down should close the choke (fully). Fast Idle should leave the choke fully open (there is no such thing as half choke) and open the throttle butterfly a bit. Run should have the throttle butterfly closed. Stop shots out the spark.

3) If your saw pops on choke, then does not start within 4 pulls on Fast Idle, there is something wrong.

At this stage of the game, I would put the stock stuff back on the saw and bring it to the Dealer.

461s are generally VERY RELIABLE, they are used as the "RESCUE SAW" by Fire Departments, etc. Hope you did not damage it with your air filter and muffler mod, (w/o pulling carb limiters).