High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cobus

“It’s just work”
Local time
1:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone it’s been awhile since I’ve been back on here so I’m hoping I’m posting in the correct spot. I have a Stihl ms 362. The saws compression wasnt in good shape, I took it apart and the plating on the intake side was completely worn off. I replaced piston and cylinder, piston rings, carb rebuild kit, tank vent, fuel filter, fuel line, air filter. Cleaned everything up before putting back together. First pull on choke the saw pops, took it off choke and wouldn’t start. Flooded like crazy. Had to go out of town this last weekend so it sat and came back to the cylinder full of fuel. Which I had emptied the fuel out of the cylinder from it flooding before I put it away for the weekend. Finally got it to start, I have to start it with throttle fully compressed and It will rev up and it will run if I hold the throttle in one spot the minute I feather the throttle it will die and it won’t idle at all. I can’t keep it to stay idling long enough to tune it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I personally haven’t ran into this issue before on other saws.
Thank you!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel must be seeping past the metering needle and seat in the carb. It’s possible you have the metering lever set too high or you put the gasket and diaphragm on in the wrong order, and the diaphragm is holding the needle open

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you adjust the inlet lever properly?
Fuel must be seeping past the metering needle and seat in the carb. It’s possible you have the metering lever set too high or you put the gasket and diaphragm on in the wrong order, and the diaphragm is holding the needle open
Dem fingahs may be fat, but they ain't slow! Lol

Cobus

“It’s just work”
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you adjust the inlet lever properly?

Dem fingahs may be fat, but they ain't slow! Lol
Honestly that’s the one thing I forgot to make sure now that you and @huskihl have brought that up. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe I just need to get my flat edge and make sure the metering lever is just at the flat edge?

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly that’s the one thing I forgot to make sure now that you and @huskihl have brought that up. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe I just need to get my flat edge and make sure the metering lever is just at the flat edge?
all carbs are different from manufacturer, I have a tool specific for checking. Zama has their own tool and walbro had their own tool too.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes a straight edge across either the top flange or the bottom floor will do the trick, I can't recall where this needs to be off the top of my head, I would refer you to find the proper service manual normally, having just looked at it and no mention of this procedure in the process I can only conclude by the look of it that it indexes flush with the floor. Also, the gasket goes on first to the carburetor body, then the metering diaphragm. One other thing you can check is for a wood booger lodged in the seat not allowing the needle to seal. If you have the ability, check your work with a pressure tester to .5 bar(7 psi) it should hold for a minute or leak so slowly as to only go down a pound or so in a minute and still be holding some pressure. This is common with new gaskets being installed that have yet to fully seal. Soaking them in 2 stroke mix fuel helps alleviate the issue.

Edit; Be careful not to jam the tip of the needle into the seat when adjusting the lever height as damage to the tip may result.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
all carbs are different from manufacturer, I have a tool specific for checking. Zama has their own tool and walbro had their own tool too.
As the manual suggests, the carb is a wte model, this would require the use of the new setting tool from Walbro 500-528
IMG_20230629_091551562.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check your flywheel key too. I had one go, and the symptom was flooding, poor running, etc…

Cobus

“It’s just work”
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update! Saw is running good now. Thank you everyone for pointing out the metering lever as a suggestion as it sits pretty far below the base of the carb into the bowl. Saw is idling and revving great. Take it out tomorrow and tune it and seat the rings. Again much appreciated!