372XP\XT Rebuild

inthewoods

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for letting me join.

I own 20 densely forested acres and have cleared over 100 trees on it so far in the 5 acres I've worked on, over grown is an understatement. Cedar, Douglas Fur, Oak, and ponderosa pine. I run a 16" 346xpg and 24" 372XP. Most trees are 24" or under but I've gotten up into 26 - 36" oak and when I have to take them down 30" pines or furs. The oaks mainly go down due to elevation I'm at and danger they pose after certain size. I run the 346xpg mostly as I love that saw, fast, light and gets the job done but the 372xp for all my oak work. I cut to clear my land, and for heat\firewood and prefer to own something that'll last me a lifetime.

I had a tragic accident yesterday and my beloved and often cursed (for starting) 372xp is in bad shape.

I was working on a nasty forward leaning oak with a bore cut and had what I thought was enough strap (4"+) left to hold it but once I hit center water came out and, I knew I was done and she shifted pinching my 372xp. Not really an issue, grabbed my trusty 346xpg and finished the job. The problem here was this was a cluster of trees and had a pallet wedged between them all, when the 372xp broke lose it hit the pallet which was / and went directly under the falling oak... even with soft earth and a 6" indention the crank case, clutch cover, and throttle\gas tank assembly were destroyed. Appears no other damage (as-if that wasn't enough).

Posting here looking for advice and some help...

1- Who is trustworthy builder? If I ship this to someone can someone rebuild this and tune\port it so it starts better and has a bit more grunt? I'm not happy with the low-end torque and random times I get chips stuck between bar\chain when not pulling out at wot.
(I don't want an unsafe exhaust though due to high fire danger where I'm at.)

2- Would anyone suggest replacing these parts with knock-offs or is authenticate the way to go? Again I'm after top quality, but saving $ is important too ;) I've never dealt with knock saw parts.

3- How does the new 572XP compare? From what I've seen video comparison seems to be more weight for same performance?

4- What are chances another 20% deal? I may jump to a 390xp and sell mine.

I either need parts to replace ASAP or ship this ASAP as my season for cleanup is ending and I have a couple dozen more I need to take down this year.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome - there are many good builders on this site and some are very busy (a few are backed up weeks or months). I can't speak to the 572 as I've never run one, but
it sounds like from the amount of parts you need, you may find replacing the saw to be a more cost-effective strategy. I would stay away from aftermarket parts if you're
wanting a machine that would last for years (should you decide to rebuild your 372). If you do go the rebuild route, you may want to consider ditching the X-torq
top end and going with a regular OE top end. They can be built into a real hotrod that would not have the starting issues that some of the X-Torq saws have.

inthewoods

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome - there are many good builders on this site and some are very busy (a few are backed up weeks or months). I can't speak to the 572 as I've never run one, but
it sounds like from the amount of parts you need, you may find replacing the saw to be a more cost-effective strategy. I would stay away from aftermarket parts if you're
wanting a machine that would last for years (should you decide to rebuild your 372). If you do go the rebuild route, you may want to consider ditching the X-torq
top end and going with a regular OE top end. They can be built into a real hotrod that would not have the starting issues that some of the X-Torq saws have.

Are there any stores you are aware of selling new 372 ? I’ve searched and even eBay has only heavily used items. I haven’t expanded to 390 search yet.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuild it yourself! Lots of bolt for bolt vids on my youtube channel.

Can't go wrong with oem parts. Plenty of aftermarket stuff works too but if you want the easiest plug and play then oem will be the way to go for you.

Worst comes to worst...contact @rattler for a rebuild :)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3- How does the new 572XP compare? From what I've seen video comparison seems to be more weight for same performance
More performance and durability at the same weight as your 372XT. The OE is a touch lighter. That said, I would rebuild your 372 with a old style OEM 50mm or 51.4mm (if you can find one) 372OE cylinder.I prefer the way they run. That said... the Xtorq isn’t a bad running saw with mods... we have a few with a lot of hours on them. Work with what you have, a 572 is a upgrade but you will save money rebuilding the 372 vs buying a 800$ saw.

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys! Thanks for letting me join.

I own 20 densely forested acres and have cleared over 100 trees on it so far in the 5 acres I've worked on, over grown is an understatement. Cedar, Douglas Fur, Oak, and ponderosa pine. I run a 16" 346xpg and 24" 372XP. Most trees are 24" or under but I've gotten up into 26 - 36" oak and when I have to take them down 30" pines or furs. The oaks mainly go down due to elevation I'm at and danger they pose after certain size. I run the 346xpg mostly as I love that saw, fast, light and gets the job done but the 372xp for all my oak work. I cut to clear my land, and for heat\firewood and prefer to own something that'll last me a lifetime.

I had a tragic accident yesterday and my beloved and often cursed (for starting) 372xp is in bad shape.

I was working on a nasty forward leaning oak with a bore cut and had what I thought was enough strap (4"+) left to hold it but once I hit center water came out and, I knew I was done and she shifted pinching my 372xp. Not really an issue, grabbed my trusty 346xpg and finished the job. The problem here was this was a cluster of trees and had a pallet wedged between them all, when the 372xp broke lose it hit the pallet which was / and went directly under the falling oak... even with soft earth and a 6" indention the crank case, clutch cover, and throttle\gas tank assembly were destroyed. Appears no other damage (as-if that wasn't enough).

Posting here looking for advice and some help...

1- Who is trustworthy builder? If I ship this to someone can someone rebuild this and tune\port it so it starts better and has a bit more grunt? I'm not happy with the low-end torque and random times I get chips stuck between bar\chain when not pulling out at wot.
(I don't want an unsafe exhaust though due to high fire danger where I'm at.)

2- Would anyone suggest replacing these parts with knock-offs or is authenticate the way to go? Again I'm after top quality, but saving $ is important too ;) I've never dealt with knock saw parts.

3- How does the new 572XP compare? From what I've seen video comparison seems to be more weight for same performance?

4- What are chances another 20% deal? I may jump to a 390xp and sell mine.

I either need parts to replace ASAP or ship this ASAP as my season for cleanup is ending and I have a couple dozen more I need to take down this year.
Welcome to the site
A well ported 372 is a excellent saw
I run 24" sometimes 28" in hardwood
I have a couple.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO if the crankcase is gone, we don't know if the crank is bent, seen that happen with badly bent bars, I've even seen it on saws that were severely pinched. And you likely won't save that much rebuilding a saw if it's that far gone, not to mention the time learning and some tools to do it right. IMHO rebuilding saws is more for the enthusiast than anything.

The 572 is a sweet saw, and I'm my hands it does feel heavier than the 372, part of that is how it balances. The Stihl 462 has just a slight bit more power than the 572, but has the weight of a 562, the kicker is it costs at least a grand, usually a couple hundred more, and is maybe built too light? The 390 is a boss but more weight and also about a grand, bit less if you find the right guy.[emoji111]

inthewoods

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMHO if the crankcase is gone, we don't know if the crank is bent, seen that happen with badly bent bars, I've even seen it on saws that were severely pinched. And you likely won't save that much rebuilding a saw if it's that far gone, not to mention the time learning and some tools to do it right. IMHO rebuilding saws is more for the enthusiast than anything.

The 572 is a sweet saw, and I'm my hands it does feel heavier than the 372, part of that is how it balances. The Stihl 462 has just a slight bit more power than the 572, but has the weight of a 562, the kicker is it costs at least a grand, usually a couple hundred more, and is maybe built too light? The 390 is a boss but more weight and also about a grand, bit less if you find the right guy.[emoji111]

This is my concern regarding not knowing what else is damaged. It still has compression and no grinding but obv unsure if it’s slightly out :/

I like excuses to get more tools ;) but this is more about fire danger and me getting back to it full steam ASAP. The 346 rocks as we all know but in 18”+ hardwood it adds significant delays to what I can get done in a day.

I’m thinking I’ll get a new saw. Then rebuild this one later.

inthewoods

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
1) @huskihl is a good builderer

2) Some, but not very many

3) Kicks its butt

4) Dunno, if you want a price on a new ported 390 let me know.

yes please re: 390 ported.
Is that rebuilt saw ported or new ported?
How soon to ship?
can I use my sugi bar from 372 on it?
I have a dozen or so chains and this nice bar I got last year so would love to reuse them.

also curious if 24” is too short for balance on the 390? I feel 372 with 24 is a nice balance for limb work. 390 too heavy or off balance?
Thanks a bunch.

One more question. can I use the bar and chain off my 372 on the 572?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How soon to ship?
I have a dozen or so chains and this nice bar I got last year so would love to reuse them.

also curious if 24” is too short for balance on the 390? I feel 372 with 24 is a nice balance for limb work. 390 too heavy or off balance?
Thanks a bunch.

Sending a PM

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How soon to ship?

Thanks a bunch.

1) @huskihl is a good builderer

2) Some, but not very many

3) Kicks its butt

4) Dunno, if you want a price on a new ported 390 let me know.
I didn't know if you were booked up.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How soon to ship?

Thanks a bunch.

Yes on the bar's interchanging
A 390 feels good to me with a 28" or 32"
But have ran a 24" a lot.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got parts to fix it if you want to go that route. I also have 372 OE cylinders and the appropriate carburetor and boot to go along with it. Or can put a 390 carburetor on it. P.m. me some pictures if you’d like and I will try and do my best to let you know if it’s worth salvaging

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuild it yourself! Lots of bolt for bolt vids on my youtube channel.

Can't go wrong with oem parts. Plenty of aftermarket stuff works too but if you want the easiest plug and play then oem will be the way to go for you.

Worst comes to worst...contact @rattler for a rebuild :)
Thanks Matt