High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

325 chains.. is this just how they are? Or is something wrong?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how I quoted my own message LOL
You typed inside the Quote brackets.

I started a thread on A.S. on 'stump vises' that can be clamped, bolted, welded onto tables, trailers, etc.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tree-machine-filing-clamps.240030/

I like the Wilton receiver vise. I have seen guys weld elevated hitch mounts, but they are not as solid, due to sway/flex.

Philbert

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just a firewood hack, but even I learned how to sharpen a chain. I ended up teaching a couple of guys that ran a family owned sawmill how to sharpen a chain, I also taught someone that cut firewood for money how to sharpen a chain and I taught a bloke that had owned a tree business for 30 years how to sharpen a chain.

This is not 'rocket science'. It is just understanding how a saw chain actually cuts. Once you understand that, then you can maximize that ability to cut wood.

Chainsaw racers take it to a different level, but once you understand the basics, you can nip up a work chain to put a heap of wood in your shed.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Semi cuts a lot better with a deeper gullet. Do a test to understand what I mean. First try some cuts with it the way you have it. Then break out the files. Push down and back with the file to cut the gullet deeper. Maybe two or three swipes. Leave the top plate alone. I find if you file properly the gullet only needs filed once in a while. Try some cuts. You’ll notice the chain self feeds much better. You can play around with the raker height. I also find chains with those dual hump safety rakers you have to take moreoff the raker than a normal chain to compensate. That said... be careful with taking too much off with semi... the line between too aggressive and just right is a lot thinner than normal chisel chain because semi doesn’t cut as smooth to begin with.
Dropping the file down into a semi chisel cutter will indeed give you a smoother, and more positive feed.
However, it is also partially defeating the purpose of the chain. "Longer life".
You maintain the round corner, so it's got that on it's side, but the top plate has less metal to support the cutting edge, therefore making it more prone to premature damage.
Everything is a trade off.
Good rule of thumb is no matter what size file you use or what chain you use it on, keep 15 - 20% of the file above the top plate.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t think you did round cutters
Prefer square, but I get my fair share of round stuff.
I just round ground 2 square chains last night. No way was I going to violate the square grinder with those nasty things.
Would have plugged up my good stone in 2 or 3 cutters for sure.